News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Everyone is assuming that this Star Wars thing is gonna be awesome...

...the problem is: that's not a guarantee. Disney has shown legitimate evidence that they honestly don't get it for the longterm. So there is a cause for concern in parks too...we won't know for a few years.

Not everyone assumes SW is going to be awesome,

SW needed its own gate, 2 attractions and retail+dining aint gonna git r' done. Demand will far outstrip capacity and the social media blowback will be epic because little johnny and aiden did not get on the SW rides the family vacation was ruined....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Honestly the only thing that is certain with Disney is when dirt has been moved and steel has gone up. Main Street Theater is just an idea, a very public idea, until the first two things happen anything can be cancled. I trust the insiders here and if they say it's dead... It's dead. Also hard to argue with the eyes on the ground who saw the fence go up, and come down. I doubt Disney is going to make a big public release saying that they canceled a project, we will be lucky if we get a press release.

Personally I don't need any further proof that the project is dead. Now what this means for other projects or new unannounced projects I have no idea. Again I trust what the insiders who have a proven track record say. So if they say this is scrapped and they are moving forward with something else, then I tend to belive that. Only time will tell if it was for a new project or another budget cut.

The cynic in me votes for the budget cut.

smile

Since we’re veering offtopic anyway, I’ll just add that the people who say “They should have just built a location we already recognize” for Star Wars Land are directly in line with the school of thought that they should just build rides based off of IP’s that people are already familiar with.

Obviously, Star Wars is a preexisting IP, but be careful what you wish for. The freedom of a relatively blank slate and new locations yielded Flight of Passage and Battle For The Sunken Treasure. The movie as the one and only law gave us Journey of the Little Mermaid.

fair enough, but why go the pandora route on this one?
for that, you needed to, especially as time wore on and you realized it wasn't quite sticking.

but for this, really? i mean, not that it won't work, but it's hard to believe it couldnt't have worked better.

uni adheres directly to the books/movies with creative input/direction from the creator herself, as it's owed - and it's what people love... it's what they show up for.
the sw that many people loved has been replaced with star wars: the next generation, and it just doesn't have the same resonance.

the first order is not the empire

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Isn't Episode 9 suppose to be the last "Episode" of the episodes trilogy? I'm sure they'll pump out a lot more spinoffs/side story movies, which i'm fine with, I just want them to get done with the episodes trilogy to ensure they don't mess it up.

I still trust Disney with Star Wars property, but how many times can the "Bad guys" build the Death Star, 3 times? How many times can the rebels be down to only 5 people? There needs to be an end game, and at least indicate a direction of where this entire franchise is going.

Until the resulting steaming pile of pooh takes in less money than it cost to make. Whereupon SW will become the next Stitch and never be heard about again.

mikejs78

Premium Member
for that, you needed to, especially as time wore on and you realized it wasn't quite sticking.

but for this, really? i mean, not that it won't work, but it's hard to believe it couldnt't have worked better.

uni adheres directly to the books/movies with creative input/direction from the creator herself, as it's owed - and it's what people love... it's what they show up for.
the sw that many people loved has been replaced with star wars: the next generation, and it just doesn't have the same resonance.

Maybe for the aging Boomer population, but pretty much everyone I know loved the movie.. My son and all his friends look at Rey, Finn, and Poe in the same vein as Luke, Leia, and Han. Honestly the only LJ hate I've seen in my life has been on the internet. In real life, everyone thought it was a great movie. The difference among my friends is that most saw Force Awakens 3, 4 times because it was Star Wars for the first time in a decade and it wasn't the prequals. Most saw Ep 8 once but are looking forward to the Blu Ray. As far as merch, the merch this time around just wasn't good. My son wanted new Star Wars stuff but he couldn't find stuff he actually really wanted. More of a quality of merch issue there. I think the 'Star Wars' oversaturation trope is overblown and somewhat of an Internet forum/Reddit/Twitter phenomenon, which is honestly a pretty small sample size.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

But its Iger's very own and thats what matters

smile

Maybe for the aging Boomer population, but pretty much everyone I know loved the movie.. My son and all his friends look at Ray, Finn, and Poe in the same vein as Luke, Leia, and Han. Honestly the only LJ hate I've seen in my life has been on the internet. In real life, everyone thought it was a great movie. The difference among my friends is that most saw Force Awakens 3, 4 times because it was Star Wars for the first time in a decade and it wasn't the prequals. Most saw Ep 8 once but are looking forward to the Blu Ray. As far as merch, the merch this time around just wasn't good. My son wanted new Star Wars stuff but he couldn't find stuff he actually really wanted. More of a quality of merch issue there. I think the 'Star Wars' oversaturation trope is overblown and somewhat of an Internet forum/Reddit/Twitter phenomenon, which is honestly a pretty small sample size.

not even sure you're responding to what i actually wrote, but anyway...

i never claimed people didn't love the movie, i claimed that a large and stable foundation was toyed with and largely replaced to ends we are, as of now, unaware of

you're implying rEy, finn, poe, and kylo have the same resonance as luke, leia, han, and vader?
how could they? they're not particularly original and exist in an age where a mary sue and the insertion of a porg is more important than character development.

and i'm not saying there is no development, but merely reminding any who care that kk stated that's largely not their approach when making these movies - a point, i think, is obvious

nearing forty-one years hence and vader alone continues to print money
i could very well be wrong, but if you're telling me people are going to truly care about these new characters like they've held onto the ot characters by the time 2050 rolls around, i'm a vermicious kinid

mikejs78

Premium Member
not even sure you're responding to what i actually wrote, but anyway...

i never claimed people didn't love the movie, i claimed that a large and stable foundation was toyed with and largely replaced to ends we are, as of now, unaware of

you're implying rEy, finn, poe, and kylo have the same resonance as luke, leia, han, and vader?
how could they? they're not particularly original and exist in an age where a mary sue and the insertion of a porg is more important than character development.

and i'm not saying there is no development, but merely reminding any who care that kk stated that's largely not their approach when making these movies - a point, i think, is obvious

nearing forty-one years hence and vader alone continues to print money
i could very well be wrong, but if you're telling me people are going to truly care about these new characters like they've held onto the ot characters by the time 2050 rolls around, i'm a vermicious kinid

Was responding to your final comment, the first order isn't the empire.

It's generational. There's a segment of the population that looks at the prequels as their definitive Star Wars series. A women I know at work knows the problems with the prequels but she still feels attached to those characters because it's what she grew up with. I think the same is true here. For my 7 year old, Star Wars is everything, but he has a special attachment to the new trilogy and the Star Wars Rebels animated show...

jimbaker84

Not everyone assumes SW is going to be awesome,

SW needed its own gate, 2 attractions and retail+dining aint gonna git r' done. Demand will far outstrip capacity and the social media blowback will be epic because little johnny and aiden did not get on the SW rides the family vacation was ruined....
It may yet get it's own gate after they see just how popular Galaxy's Edge is when it opens. Hopefully they'll enhance the existing parks before they go down that route (if they ever do).

Goofnut1980

At what point is the breaking point for Magic Kingdom though?! If you keep adding to the inside of the park but the entrance remains the same, it becomes a bottleneck in Town Square. Can you imagine how much busier it will be with just adding the Tron coaster?? I would rather see them add a theatre back over at Hollywood to help pull some folks that way. It would be nice for MK but with as crowded as its been of late, it would only add to the crowds.

smile

Was responding to your final comment, the first order isn't the empire.

It's generational. There's a segment of the population that looks at the prequels as their definitive Star Wars series. A women I know at work knows the problems with the prequels but she still feels attached to those characters because it's what she grew up with. I think the same is true here. For my 7 year old, Star Wars is everything, but he has a special attachment to the new trilogy and the Star Wars Rebels animated show...

just stating a fact with that empire line - the resistance is not the rebel alliance, rey is not luke, kylo isn't vader, etc....
what that may mean, only time will tell - but those things are what built the foundation, my friend.

neither of us know for certain how it plays out - a future arguably more sketchy after one jiggles the tree when they didn't need to.

let's just plan a day in 2050 to reminisce over cocktails about how it all played out -
it'll be an interesting conversation one way or another

Last edited:

jimbaker84

At what point is the breaking point for Magic Kingdom though?! If you keep adding to the inside of the park but the entrance remains the same, it becomes a bottleneck in Town Square. Can you imagine how much busier it will be with just adding the Tron coaster?? I would rather see them add a theatre back over at Hollywood to help pull some folks that way. It would be nice for MK but with as crowded as its been of late, it would only add to the crowds.
I wholeheartedly agree. The number of atttactions at Magic Kingdom is both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. They need to build as much as they can in the other parks to spread the number of guests around.

Fox&Hound

Tron will attract a few more people but it will most likely still be an afterthought to SWGE which will still be the major draw. Everyone is worried about how over crowded MK is and yes.. it does need more high output attractions. That said, Studios is going to need so much help once SWGE opens. That park will be so jammed that it will look like MK on NYE every day, all day. Studios will draw from MK. It'll be the first park to do so. Mark it down.

I agree and that is why DIsney is foolish if they don’t update B&B and Mermaid at DHS. Both have overstayed their welcome by 15 years and would be an easy draw for guests looking to do something “new”. Then they demo the animation building and build 1-2 rides over there...

smile

one thing i will say about piling on mk is that you know if people are visiting the bubble, and if there's one park they're going to go to, you know which one that is...

and while laypeople still often refer to mk alone as walt disney world,
i personally don't think that outweighs the advantages of a more balanced approach in this day and age.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom