News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
A Black Pearl restaurant would be lit. I would love to have some sort of Pirates attraction that focuses on nothing but the movies, whether it be a ride or a show. I just don't think that putting another Pirates ride that close to POTC is a good idea. Now a show is different. I would be satisfied if there was a Pirates stunt show (like Indy) that could replace Jack Sparrow's Pirate Tutorial. Another restaurant idea could be something similar to Barbossa's Bounty, kind of like what they have in Shanghai.
Isn't there already a Pirate Adventure Dinner Theater in Orlando...?

WildcatDen

I agree and that is why DIsney is foolish if they don’t update B&B and Mermaid at DHS. Both have overstayed their welcome by 15 years and would be an easy draw for guests looking to do something “new”. Then they demo the animation building and build 1-2 rides over there...
I had originally heard that both of those shows would be replaced prior to 2020, in fact, I believe the original thing I head had one being replaced this year. Not sure what has happened on that front as they both seemed like slam dunks to help during the SWL, TSL, and GMR work? Maybe they still draw enough that some thought replacements were not needed? I do understand the Live Orchestra shows were pretty good?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I had originally heard that both of those shows would be replaced prior to 2020, in fact, I believe the original thing I head had one being replaced this year. Not sure what has happened on that front as they both seemed like slam dunks to help during the SWL, TSL, and GMR work? Maybe they still draw enough that some thought replacements were not needed? I do understand the Live Orchestra shows were pretty good?
Both should have gone already. But we know how they like to change plans.

wdwgreek

Have you seen Aladdin on Broadway or the tour? It doesn’t have as many pop culture references but Genie is still hilarious and “Friend like Me” is the greatest spectacle I’ve seen on Broadway. The rest of the show actually pales a bit in comparison with that one song.
While the not the greatest spectacle, I would agrue the dreamland sequence in Follies or a musical from somthing rotten, Masquerade from Phantom, or the Act I finale of the orginal staging of les mis out edge it. I have seen 150 of so musicals on broadway and it is a very very strong show. It makes up for several of the films weaknesses. however you are right a lot of it rides on the strength of who you have playing the Gennie.

Last edited:

wdwgreek

You're being too literal. A Broadway caliber show can exist outside of New York City. But I see what you're trying to say.
To be considered anything Broadway the show has to be in New York, New York, and is only considered "On Broadway" while being performed in New York city, and have 499 seats or more. Anything touring the nation or internationally is considered a national tour or World tour, and not considered on Broadway.
Its not only about seat # but also the venue has to be one of the 40 Broadway theaters in midtown. Theaters in union sqaure, the village, brooklyn or even up in New World Stages do not count as Broadway ways. The most recent addition being the Hudson, was a legitimate theater for a while, but was turned into a venue space for a while. It has returned as the newest broadway venue while also being one of the oldest houses. So in addition to a size requirement there is also a location requirement.

21stamps

While the not the greatest spectacle, I would agree the dreamland sequence in Follies or a musical from somthing rotten, Masquerade from Phantom, or the Act I finale of the orginal staging of les mis out edge it. I have seen 150 of so musicals on broadway and it is a very very strong show. It makes up for several of the films weaknesses. however you are right a lot of it rides on the strength of who you have playing the Gennie.

Oh. No. Just, oh. Wow.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Its not only about seat # but also the venue has to be one of the 40 Broadway theaters in midtown. Theaters in union sqaure, the village, brooklyn or even up in New World Stages do not count as Broadway ways. The most recent addition being the Hudson, was a legitimate theater for a while, but was turned into a venue space for a while. It has returned as the newest broadway venue while also being one of the oldest houses. So in addition to a size requirement there is also a location requirement.

Indeed, it is the theater district (40-54th Sts. / 6-8th Aves.) plus Lincoln Center (~60th St.).

Or, whatever the governing bodies of the Tonys redefines it as things can shift (such as including Lincoln Center)...

Broadway theatre
A Broadway theatre is defined as having 500 or more seats, among other requirements. While the rules define a Broadway theatre in terms of its size, not its geographical location, the list of Broadway theatres is determined solely by the Tony Awards Administration Committee. As of the 2016–2017 season, the list consisted solely of the 41 theaters located in the vicinity of Times Square in New York City and Lincoln Center's Vivian Beaumont Theater.[36][37]

21stamps

I don't think Friend like me is the greatest spectacle i have seen, it was a spectacle but other shows have " bigger showstoppers." I suppose its a subjective cause, but I think many other numbers could be argued.

Oh, I was just speechless/stuttering at the comparisons. There are some great Disney Broadway shows.. but a few that you mentioned are so far above them, I just couldn’t handle seeing them all in the same sentence. ;)

Fox&Hound

I just cannot understand this thinking. We all know SWL will bring massive crowds, why not have as many new experiences you can to spread out crowds? My family and I did the Mermaid show back in Dec and it was a huge embarrassment for Disney- just no where up to par for their standards- I had not seen it in years and we thought our daughter would enjoy it....Come on Disney, update these shows!

brb1006

Wasn't the latest update for Voyage Of The Little Mermaid just adding lasers of Ursula laughing around the theater and waves as seen at 15:48 of this video?

If that is so, it really is showing it's age already.

Last edited:

brb1006

The last update was to fix those effects, not add them.

Nice video. :)
Thanks for the correction, I vivdly remember the show. But I don't remember the show having laser effects when I seen it back in 2006. Were the laser effects there from the start or were they added years later?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom