News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Jones14

fair enough, but why go the pandora route on this one?
for that, you needed to, especially as time wore on and you realized it wasn't quite sticking.

but for this, really? i mean, not that it won't work, but it's hard to believe it couldnt't have worked better.

uni adheres directly to the books/movies with creative input/direction from the creator herself, as it's owed - and it's what people love... it's what they show up for.
the sw that many people loved has been replaced with star wars: the next generation, and it just doesn't have the same resonance.

the first order is not the empire
Because the Pandora route makes for better theme park attractions. Even based on what we know about SWL so far, we can see this happening. EVERY insider has said that Battle Escape is the better attraction, and that Millenium Falcon will be exactly what fans want.

Giving the people what they want is all well and good, but Disney changed the game by giving them what they never knew they wanted.

As to HP, it is great and it works out for them, but in that case, the franchise is mightier than the theme park, and as much as I love Star Wars (and I LOVE Star Wars), I don’t want them to go down that path. Let the rules of the theme park determine the boundaries, not the IP.

2351metalcloud

I don't know a lot about how Disney organizes their budgets for things, but could the cancellation of the theater be due to how much money The Last Jedi made? I know it made a lot of money and The Last Jedi finished filming before the theater was announced, but some people on the internet have been saying that at least when they started filming of the movie Disney likely expected it to hundreds of millions of dollars more money in theaters than it seems like it will end up making.

peter11435

I don't know a lot about how Disney organizes their budgets for things, but could the cancellation of the theater be due to how much money The Last Jedi made? I know it made a lot of money and The Last Jedi finished filming before the theater was announced, but some people on the internet have been saying that at least when they started filming of the movie Disney likely expected it to hundreds of millions of dollars more money in theaters than it seems like it will end up making.
Unrelated

Disney Analyst

There was an amphitheater that was scrapped but I’ve not heard of one like this.

It could be a concept to build a proper broadway theatre in Disney Springs, Disney could host their own tours... other broadway tours could occupy it, and Disney would be able to make money off of tours booking it out and the concession etc, plus their own shows could do extended sit downs there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It could be a concept to build a proper broadway theatre in Disney Springs, Disney could host their own tours... other broadway tours could occupy it, and Disney would be able to make money off of tours booking it out and the concession etc, plus their own shows could do extended sit downs there.
You can be sure they’ve looked into it.

NearTheEars

I bet if they did that, the Doctor Phillips center would probably rethink their “Walt Disney Theater” name.
They’d be in direct competition.

tirian

one thing i will say about piling on mk is that you know if people are visiting the bubble, and if there's one park they're going to go to, you know which one that is...

and while laypeople still often refer to mk alone as walt disney world,
i personally don't think that outweighs the advantages of a more balanced approach in this day and age.

That’s how WDW operated in its golden years from 1982–1998, especially in the late 80s and early 90s. It was a true vacation resort, and even as a kid, I knew there was more than the MK because Disney advertised everything.

The castle-centric ads resulted from synergy based on the Disney Princess brand from the early 2000s. I know. I was there. I also know the guy who created that brand, and it wasn’t intended to consume the company like it did.

EricsBiscuit

Well if they build it in DS, instead of getting to see the shows with park admission, you would have to pay potentially $100 or more for the show! 2,000 seats, they could easily rake in a million a weekend from admission alone. I just hope to God they build another attraction that's at least a d ticket to replace this theater at MK.

smile

That’s how WDW operated in its golden years from 1982–1998, especially in the late 80s and early 90s. It was a true vacation resort, and even as a kid, I knew there was more than the MK because Disney advertised everything.

The castle-centric ads resulted from synergy based on the Disney Princess brand from the early 2000s. I know. I was there. I also know the guy who created that brand, and it wasn’t intended to consume the company like it did.

it's as if those guys back then knew something...
but hey, without the princess thing we wouldn't have the swing of over-compensation
;)

edit -
to clarify, i was merely giving a slight counterpoint to the balance approach noting that, if it ever truly made sense, it would have been way back when, definitely not now -
but, ec did certainly speak for itself - too much? not to me, but it didn't hold forever, anyways, unfortunately.

Last edited:

brb1006

Special mention goes to the way Disney Vacation Planning videos from 1998 and 1999 which focused on everything including the parks and off property. Those videos always made me excited to visit WDW and also my first introduction to Disney Cruise Line.

If I remember correctly, I think the one from 2001 not only focused on Walt Disney World but also the Disney Cruise Line that played near the very end.

The_Jobu

Special mention goes to the way Disney Vacation Planning videos from 1998 and 1999 which focused on everything including the parks and off property. Those videos always made me excited to visit WDW and also my first introduction to Disney Cruise Line.

If I remember correctly, I think the one from 2001 not only focused on Walt Disney World but also the Disney Cruise Line that played near the very end.

Arg! This makes me want to plan out my next trip so much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom