News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

dennis-in-ct

Thanks! I thought maybe there had been talks cause they did put one in Shanghais disneytown and I loved the energy the theater gave to the street. Maybe someday :)

A real Broadway style theater in Disney Springs that housed real Disney theater productions would be wonderful.
If Cirque could run a show for all those years and fill the theater, I am sure a running production of Lion King or Aladdin (saw both in NY) would also fill the house.

rreading

I predict in the future WDW will have a theater like that, but i dont know if it'll be in the parks, Possibly in Disney Springs or a hotel like The Grand Floridian.

That way you can ticket everyone, increasing profit A LOT.

Were it to happen, Disney Springs would be the logical place. But I’ll be floored if it were to occur.

Cirque is distinctive enough to consider taking a break from WDW to experience something different; but part of the appeal of the Disney parks is that they have shows as part of the Park experience. Definitely VotLM and BatB are aging, and we haven’t taken the time to see any of the shows at DL when we have gone west, but I’ve definitely thought that there is no way I’d pay to watch a Broadway style show at WDW after leaving Finding Nemo.

I hope Disney is too smart to try something like that. If they prove me wrong, I may need to question my investment.

HauntedMansionFLA

I present the solution for having no replacement ready: release more info on the TRONorrowland Speedway, with a short blurb about the theatre being "rethought to allow for even more magic in the kingdom."
The Speedway is getting a makeover? That’s good or get rid of it or shortened it up.

TP2000

Whats Hyperion running nowadays? 2-3? That seems underutilized

Hyperion Theater at DCA is currently running four shows per day, seven days per week, of Frozen; 12:00PM, 2:00PM, 4:30PM and 6:30PM.

That's a total of 8,000 seats per day in that huge theater, for a 60 minute long show. In a little, tiny locals-only theme park like Disneyland Resort.

I'm really, really surprised they cancelled this project for WDW. They've needed this type of big, lavish Broadway-caliber venue for 15 years, ever since the Hyperion Theater opened at DCA and proved it could help the overall park experience. TDO finally greenlights the thing, and then they cancel it right before construction starts? That's just weird. :confused:

TrojanUSC

A real Broadway style theater in Disney Springs that housed real Disney theater productions would be wonderful.
If Cirque could run a show for all those years and fill the theater, I am sure a running production of Lion King or Aladdin (saw both in NY) would also fill the house.

Cirque and Disney are partnering on the new Cirque du Soliel show. There's no way the agreement with Cirque would permit them to build a competing theater.

smile

Hyperion Theater at DCA is currently running four shows per day, seven days per week, of Frozen; 12:00PM, 2:00PM, 4:30PM and 6:30PM.

That's a total of 8,000 seats per day in that huge theater, for a 60 minute long show. In a little, tiny locals-only theme park like Disneyland Resort.

that's the issue...
couldn't fit bathrooms in; didn't want to make the same mistake twice
;)

TrojanUSC

I'm really, really surprised they cancelled this project for WDW. They've needed this type of big, lavish Broadway-caliber venue for 15 years, ever since the Hyperion Theater opened at DCA and proved it could help the overall park experience. TDO finally greenlights the thing, and then they cancel it right before construction starts? That's just weird. :confused:

It's not a "tiny locals-only park," Disneyland Resort pulls in massive crowds. Yes, may of their guests come from within a 4-hour radius of the park, but their frequency of visits more than makes up for that.

Frozen isn't doing nearly as well as they hoped, either.

smile

It's not a "tiny locals-only park," Disneyland Resort pulls in massive crowds. Yes, may of their guests come from within a 4-hour radius of the park, but their frequency of visits more than makes up for that.

Frozen isn't doing nearly as well as they hoped, either.

tp is a dlr local - good guy tho :p
do believe that was a perception of dlr joke if i'm not mistaken

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I thought The Last Jedi was ok, i enjoyed The Force awakens a lot more, but the attempts at humor in both of them are really unfunny.

But in all it just feels like they're repeating the same scene with different actors over and over again, with no end game in mind! Episode 9 is going to be the last episode and where only down to like 5 rebels, I can't imagine what magic trick there going to do to give us a satisfying end to the entire trilogy.
I think the only way to end it is for Rey, Poe and a Porg to go back in time and kill...
George Lucas Luke Skywalker.

Goofnut1980

@marni1971 Not that it’s been rumoured or something, but more out of curiousity. Has there ever been a mention of a theatre like this for Disney Springs?

I am really surprised Disney has not capitalized on having a theatre at Disney Springs as a replacement to Cirque. When you see one Cirque you have seen them all! LOL I like it, but once is enough for me. They already have developed the Broadway shows. The admission price for Cirque is more than a Broadway show as well. They could easily run a Disney production with a 1 to 18 month showing and be covered for what? 15+ years?! (and that would be if they skipped a few)

They have produced 14 so far. From the animation line - Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Hunchback, Tarzan, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Pinocchio. Then from live-action- Mary Poppins, HS Musical 1&2, Camp Rock, Newsies and Freaky Friday.

Not saying I would want to see most of the live-action adaptations but Mary and Newsies would be fantastic!

I am just really surprised as a company all about the profit margin, you wouldn't do this.

Edit: Also we know they are doing Frozen... and you all want to see it don't you! hahahaha So much Frozen.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I still think the parking lot would be better used for expansion or a new land. It makes more sense to my mind anyway to have a theater on the Frontierland/Liberty Square side.

ToTBellHop

Aladdin was amazing. I miss that show so much. The genie was everything. He kept the show relevant with jokes based off current events. This is why a majority returned. Isn't it time to let it go and bring back Aladdin?
Have you seen Aladdin on Broadway or the tour? It doesn’t have as many pop culture references but Genie is still hilarious and “Friend like Me” is the greatest spectacle I’ve seen on Broadway. The rest of the show actually pales a bit in comparison with that one song.

castlecake2.0

Could one of the reasons be from a traffic flow perspective? say the theatre could hold 2000 people and the show ends during a move it shake it/3 o clock parade/fireworks and all of a sudden 2000 people at once let out onto Main Street or the Hub Plaza. I’m just picturing the show dumps from FOLK BatB fantamic, even when O Canada lets out is can disrupt flows. Maybe that was part of the thinking? I can’t really think of a place in MK that could remain enjoyable with an extra 2000 people being dumped into at once, where as an attraction with the same hourly capacity can keep the flow balanced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom