News New security measures

G00fyDad

What signifies a costume? I have gone as a cowboy and a nerd to a few MNSSHPs. Because it isn't wearing a costume per say, it is wearing clothes of a different style than I am used to. Interesting to see how this plays out for thematic events and runDisney events.

Anything Disney deems to be a costume is inadmissible. If you go around dressed as a cowboy or a "classic nerd" every day then you may have other issues that need to be dealt with professionally. Disney is not going to let people in dressed as an astronaut because that person says they dress like that every day.

The Mom

Premium Member
What signifies a costume? I have gone as a cowboy and a nerd to a few MNSSHPs. Because it isn't wearing a costume per say, it is wearing clothes of a different style than I am used to. Interesting to see how this plays out for thematic events and runDisney events.

That's an interesting question. If I were to wear a sari, for example, it would be considered a costume (and also somewhat insulting) - unless I were in India. The same for an old-fashioned square dance outfit - unless I was at a square dance. I would think that something that is worn everyday by others would not be a costume.

But they will have to clearly identify their reason for banning costumes, and might even have to define what is considered one. Are they concerned with seeing faces? Then a full burqa would be banned - even though it is every day attire for some. Are they concerned about concealment? Then any loose capes, long dresses, etc would be an issue.

One way or another they are going to anger someone. ;)

The Mom

Premium Member
Anything Disney deems to be a costume is inadmissible. If you go around dressed as a cowboy or a "classic nerd" every day then you may have other issues that need to be dealt with professionally. Disney is not going to let people in dressed as an astronaut because that person says they dress like that every day.

As I mentioned, how are they going to define a costume versus various clothing styles? And there are definitely people whose every day attire would be a costume if I were to wear it - even though they don't have mental health issues.

G00fyDad

As I mentioned, how are they going to define a costume versus various clothing styles? And there are definitely people whose every day attire would be a costume if I were to wear it - even though they don't have mental health issues.

Now you're getting into semantics. There is nowhere on this planet where they wear a pocket protector, eye glasses with tape in the middle, greased back hair, high-water pants, and suspenders as part of their culture. Nor does anyone wear an astronaut outfit as a daily routine or as their culture. Try arguing that with Disney while wearing one. ;) As for clothing styles the difference is quite obvious between an outfit that is culturally acceptable and a Halloween costume. If I wore a Burka as a man then there would be an obvious issue. If a woman wore it then not so much. However, dressing in culturally sensitive clothing as a costume is 1) just plain wrong, and 2) not necessarily seen as a costume by many. Give me an example of someone's every day attire that you would wear that would be a costume.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Now you're getting into semantics. There is nowhere on this planet where they wear a pocket protector, eye glasses with tape in the middle, greased back hair, high-water pants, and suspenders as part of their culture. Nor does anyone wear an astronaut outfit as a daily routine or as their culture. Try arguing that with Disney while wearing one. ;) As for clothing styles the difference is quite obvious between an outfit that is culturally acceptable and a Halloween costume. If I wore a Burka as a man then there would be an obvious issue. If a woman wore it then not so much. However, dressing in culturally sensitive clothing as a costume is 1) just plain wrong, and 2) not necessarily seen as a costume by many. Give me an example of someone's every day attire that you would wear that would be a costume.
I might be totally off the mark here, but I read her comment to mean "age-appropriate" clothing.

Meaning that a matronly woman wearing a sequined "Hottie" tank-top or sequined "Sexy" hotpants, that can be seen daily by misguided teenagers, would be considered a costume. Or a cheerleader costume worn by somebody obviously too old to be a cheerleader. et al

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm just curious if Disney will allow real cowboys into the theme park. If a real cowboy dresses differently just for this one outing, then they are the one in the "costume". Ahh ...catch 22

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Is this a costume or day attire?
back-future-marty-mcfly-jacket-video-thumbnail.jpg

It's a jacket (everyday clothing) and a hat (everyday clothing).

s8film40

I have seen a large number of "costumes" that would represent someones everyday attire. For some it's simply a matter of dressing like a contemporary movie/television character, it might be normal clothing but recognizable clothing to those who get it. How about for example if someone goes as a Men in Black character. How is Disney going to identify if that person is just dressing nice to go out to eat as opposed to wearing a costume. People are VERY creative when it comes to this and these limits will be pushed. There is absolutely no way to do this without offending people, people now days are very sensitive and the media picks up on these stories very quickly. The description you describe of a man wearing a burka, imagine for a moment it's a transgender person and "she" is told she can't wear it because she's a man. If Disney doesn't come up with some kind of guideline they're going to be in big trouble with this.

lazyboy97o

Yes, your interpretation of simple installation of metal detectors as "paranoia over nothing" and "will hurt its profits because they have basically said to tourists Disney is not safe" is bizarre to me.

Folks, if a measure "won't stop everything" that doesn't mean it "does nothing" or is "an illusion" or doesn't make us safer. It's about degrees of security. Of course it makes us safer. Nothing will make us 100% safe. That doesn't mean we should be careless about it.
An at best 10% success rate is hardly doing anything. In how many other fields is that considered a great improvement?

Last edited:

Nubs70

Yes but still a religion, should a particular religion be barred from the park? They've won their legal battles, I'm sure one against Disney would be fun for them. Also others weren't costumes.
So where is the point, for you, where things cross from realistic to absurd?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom