News New security measures

rnese

I haven't had a chance to finish reading the whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been said, but people try to bring guns into the parks everyday. The one guy just happened to make the news because he was an idiot about it (he ran away, didn't have a permit, etc. Also, I just want to point out that he was caught without the use of a metal detector.) But many people don't realize that Disney already had rules about not allowing guns within the parks. There are no signs after all, but it's private property and they can make their own rules. But many people believe that if they have a conceal carry permit (or are armed government officials, even if off duty), they can bring them in. That's why there are lockers OUTSIDE the parks. So that people can leave their "contraband." But anyway, people trying to bring guns into parks is nothing new. I highly doubt the metal detectors were put in place because of the one guy who made the news a couple weeks back.
So you're saying that Disney had actually planned on banning the sale of toy guns in the parks prior to the story breaking?

Florida_is_hot

I got a great idea for a new Attraction...... They can call it Airport Security Check.
  1. Give people cards listing things they can not carry on board, trash to dispose of things they can not bring in
  2. Tell people to take their shoes off any metal items in the container
  3. Go through... get the Red Light .... wand and pat down
  4. Extra check.... Go through.... ask people to go into the booth, stand on the cut outs, put your hands over your head
Look boys and girls we made it through the first attraction of the day.

Bolt

I got a great idea for a new Attraction...... They can call it Airport Security Check.
  1. Give people cards listing things they can not carry on board, trash to dispose of things they can not bring in
  2. Tell people to take their shoes off any metal items in the container
  3. Go through... get the Red Light .... wand and pat down
  4. Extra check.... Go through.... ask people to go into the booth, stand on the cut outs, put your hands over your head
Look boys and girls we made it through the first attraction of the day.
Great idea! Lololol

G00fyDad

Other than not getting to wear a costume for the MNSSHP I like this idea.
Magic-Kingdom_Full_26228 (1).jpg

Unfortunately this is how the majority of people will see that sign posted in front of the park. :banghead:
Magic-Kingdom_Full_26228.jpg

Biff215

The industry will be just as hurt and people just as dead if something happens outside park gates. This is just an arbitrary line.
Perhaps, but where else could they do it? Stop cars the moment they drive on property? At every entrance of each resort? The monorails are the most vulnerable IMO, but again there are many entry points. If someone really wants to do something they'll always find a weakness, but what they are doing will hopefully deter those trying to bring something through the main gates like last week.

PhotoDave219

Perhaps, but where else could they do it? Stop cars the moment they drive on property? At every entrance of each resort? The monorails are the most vulnerable IMO, but again there are many entry points. If someone really wants to do something they'll always find a weakness, but what they are doing will hopefully deter those trying to bring something through the main gates like last week.

Which suddenly becomes the point? How much is enough? Where do you draw the line? Who and How many people do you search? Everyone? Random Sampling?

Matt_Black

Considering that other parks are rolling this out Disney may not have had much choice. It's an election cycle with some hot button issues, many concerning public safety and how to deal with violent threats and acts. It's quite possible that this was something along the lines of "We're not telling you what to do, but we STRONGLY SUGGEST... And if you don't, we'll make you do it anyway and remember your reluctance for later."

Bairstow

Considering that other parks are rolling this out Disney may not have had much choice. It's an election cycle with some hot button issues, many concerning public safety and how to deal with violent threats and acts. It's quite possible that this was something along the lines of "We're not telling you what to do, but we STRONGLY SUGGEST... And if you don't, we'll make you do it anyway and remember your reluctance for later."

The cynic in me suspects that someone at Homeland Security has a brother-in-law that just got stock options in a company that makes metal detectors.

disney4life2008

Im confused every 24 hour party i have been to adults have dresses up albiet looking utterly ridiculous. Are they no longer able to dress up either? Even Halloween no costumes?

Matt_Black

Most of the world is a horrible place filled with savages.

That's simply not true. Violence in society has been declining; it's only the prevalence of media and the Internet that makes it seem otherwise.

To look at a popular current scapegoat, there are over 1.6 billion Muslims on the planet today. If they wanted us all dead, we would be.

You are more likely to die as a result of heart disease than at the hands of a whack-job with a gun or a bomb.

In closing, "If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will."

Disneyhead'71

Violent crime is down. But mass shootings and public attacks are way up. There have been over 500 mass shootings in the 3 years since Sandy Hook.

G00fyDad

Which suddenly becomes the point? How much is enough? Where do you draw the line? Who and How many people do you search? Everyone? Random Sampling?

Random sampling is a very bad idea. That will always lead to profiling.

They stopped having a choice when that moron attempted to carry that gun into the parks and the news made a field day about it. I even saw a report on it on my local news out of Louisville, KY. Disney had to be seen doing something extra about security. It may not seem like it would do much damage, but I promise you that incident hit Disney hard enough.

Im confused every 24 hour party i have been to adults have dresses up albiet looking utterly ridiculous. Are they no longer able to dress up either? Even Halloween no costumes?

Not any more. If you've ever been able to dress up at Disney before then you have a treasured memory. If not, then you missed the boat. I'm interested to see how many people lose it 10 months from now when MNSSHP is in full swing. That is why I posted that altered photo of that sign. People are going to come in costume regardless of the 1000 warnings they will get beforehand. I'd like to set up a camera and just watch the entitled people lose their minds when they get to the gates in full costume.

Tony the Tigger

Hows it bizarre? They do this to try and instill fear to make westerners(people and businesses) change how they do business. If you change how you react to world events you let them win. Londoners had the best reaction after the bombs they complained the bus and tube weren't on time and ignored the events. That is how you react to people trying to instill fear you don't change... otherwise you have lost.

Do you really think Disney is doing anything other than being paranoid?

Yes, your interpretation of simple installation of metal detectors as "paranoia over nothing" and "will hurt its profits because they have basically said to tourists Disney is not safe" is bizarre to me.

Folks, if a measure "won't stop everything" that doesn't mean it "does nothing" or is "an illusion" or doesn't make us safer. It's about degrees of security. Of course it makes us safer. Nothing will make us 100% safe. That doesn't mean we should be careless about it.

Speed limits don't stop everyone from speeding. Speeders kill people every year. Cops can't pull everyone over. I guess we should just do away with speed limits. Plus, they impede my trip to Orlando and I just don't like them and they restrict my freedom.

But again, the thing that sticks out to me the most is competing parks all did the same thing at the same time. There is something behind that coordination.

Will it hurt Disney profits? That's silly.

Tony the Tigger

With all the parks increasing security at the same time in the same way signals to me that there was a specific and credible threat.

I would be more concerned over 2nd tier parks specifically Cedar Point. With 4 busses of jihadis, it would be an ugly scene that law enforcement response options would be very limited.

...and Snoopy lives there!!

surfsupdon

What signifies a costume? I have gone as a cowboy and a nerd to a few MNSSHPs. Because it isn't wearing a costume per say, it is wearing clothes of a different style than I am used to. Interesting to see how this plays out for thematic events and runDisney events.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom