News New security measures

s8film40

So where is the point, for you, where things cross from realistic to absurd?
Well I think when your dealing with the public like this you have to come up with specific standards, have documentable reasons supporting them and apply them to everyone equally. To just say costumes aren't allowed without further definition is just inviting problems. That's my point.

s8film40

Here are some other interesting examples. Some of these are even described as "costumes" and are available for purchase in the park. If you buy these are you allowed to wear them?

B8NO3qFm.jpg

Lx9YSu3m.jpg

MwFT7ccm.jpg

HKON4r4m.jpg

xGjBu5Pm.jpg

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Here are some other interesting examples. Some of these are even described as "costumes" and are available for purchase in the park. If you buy these are you allowed to wear them?

B8NO3qFm.jpg

Lx9YSu3m.jpg

MwFT7ccm.jpg

HKON4r4m.jpg

xGjBu5Pm.jpg
That's a very valid question, and I'm curious as to what the answer may be.

Matt_Black

So where is the point, for you, where things cross from realistic to absurd?

A religion based on satire is still a religion. After all, Scientology is recognized as religion by the U.S. government and receives all the protections there-in, and that's little more than a glorified Ponzi scheme dressed up in New Age science-fiction gobbledy-gook. AND they committed the largest theft of U.S. government documents not perpetrated by a foreign power to boot! So yeah, I'll grant religion status to the good-natured guys who say Heaven has a Stripper Factory and a Beer Volcano.

PhotoDave219

That's an interesting question. If I were to wear a sari, for example, it would be considered a costume (and also somewhat insulting) - unless I were in India. The same for an old-fashioned square dance outfit - unless I was at a square dance. I would think that something that is worn everyday by others would not be a costume.

But they will have to clearly identify their reason for banning costumes, and might even have to define what is considered one. Are they concerned with seeing faces? Then a full burqa would be banned - even though it is every day attire for some. Are they concerned about concealment? Then any loose capes, long dresses, etc would be an issue.

One way or another they are going to anger someone. ;)

Couple thoughts. First? You can't ban a Burqa because its religious dress. Won't happen.

Second? Costumes.... MNSSHP doesn't start until September. Its December right now. I'm sure that even Disney hasn't any idea what they're going to do policy wise. Last message I got was that there haven't been changes whatsoever to MNSSHP as of right now.

Third? Costumes part 2..... If you're older than 14 you shouldn't be wearing a costume, IMO? Why? The show. No one is bigger than the show. It has nothing to do with security and has everything to do with the recent trend of cosplay via DisneyBounding. Disney entertainment is first rate and I shouldn't be walking through the park only to see SnHo White, Train Wreck Ariel or any other bad form of Disney Princess or Character. Security is an easy and convient way to put an end to this foolishness.

disney4life2008

Random sampling is a very bad idea. That will always lead to profiling.

Not any more. If you've ever been able to dress up at Disney before then you have a treasured memory. If not, then you missed the boat. I'm interested to see how many people lose it 10 months from now when MNSSHP is in full swing. That is why I posted that altered photo of that sign. People are going to come in costume regardless of the 1000 warnings they will get beforehand. I'd like to set up a camera and just watch the entitled people lose their minds when they get to the gates in full costume.

This is a stiff move by disney. It confusing because I have seen women dress in minnie dresses and elsa dresses is this banned to? I feel sorry for those that like to dress up at disney the ban seems a little too harsh. But I do not dress up but its sad.

s8film40

Couple thoughts. First? You can't ban a Burqa because its religious dress. Won't happen.
There obviously has to be a point where you have to be able to discriminate against a religious belief. If someone creates the religion of gun worshippers who as part of their religion must carry a gun at all times, would they be exempt from Disney's no gun policy? Of course not. I think if there is a solid reason why face coverings shouldn't be allowed than religion shouldn't be a factor. That being the case the opposite is true it shouldn't unfairly exempt someone not from that religion from wearing a face covering if it's allowable for religious purposes. In other words if I'm not Muslim but want to wear a face covering I should be allowed to, otherwise I'm being discriminated against based on my religion or lack of religion.

PhotoDave219

There obviously has to be a point where you have to be able to discriminate against a religious belief. If someone creates the religion of gun worshippers who as part of their religion must carry a gun at all times, would they be exempt from Disney's no gun policy? Of course not. I think if there is a solid reason why face coverings shouldn't be allowed than religion shouldn't be a factor. That being the case the opposite is true it shouldn't unfairly exempt someone not from that religion from wearing a face covering if it's allowable for religious purposes. In other words if I'm not Muslim but want to wear a face covering I should be allowed to, otherwise I'm being discriminated against based on my religion or lack of religion.

Pretty sure that religion already exists....

lazyboy97o

I'm fairly certain Disney does not allow Sikhs to wear there kirpans in the parks. So there would already be precedent for barring religious items.

Biff215

We went to our local amusement park last night to see Santa and the lights. There were two uniformed police officers right at the gate and a bunch of extra park employees moving around. Both of these were never common in the past, so I'm thinking they may have also received a recommendation or they're just choosing to be extra vigilant given recent world events.

MissM

It has nothing to do with security and has everything to do with the recent trend of cosplay via DisneyBounding. Disney entertainment is first rate and I shouldn't be walking through the park only to see SnHo White, Train Wreck Ariel or any other bad form of Disney Princess or Character. Security is an easy and convient way to put an end to this foolishness.
Except Disney themselves promoted the idea of Disneybounding in the parks with the previous "Show Your Disney Side" campaign. They spent almost two years encouraging people to bound and to further share on social media with specific hashtags and such. So to now act as if it's crazy that people would be upset over the sudden shift, or unsure what constitutes a "costume" is just ignorant. And there is a distinct difference between a bound and a cosplay. Cosplay has never been permitted outside of special events like MNSSHP anyway. But bounding was not only allowed but encouraged for the past few years.

Additionally, events like Dapper Day while unofficial have been welcomed and supported by Disney. I attended my first one this fall. Is a 50's inspired dress "costume?" What about a man in a dress shirt and suspenders? Or a bow tie? Costume or just a certain style? (Because while I may not dress vintage everyday, there are a LOT of people who do.) Disney made special "Dapper" drinks for that day and had signage that matched the Dapper Day website fonts and graphics. So clearly, they didn't mind several thousand sharply dressed guests attending that day.

There is a massively blurry line here. And that's before you even factor in "costume" clothing items as mentioned by @s8film40 ! There were dozens of Star Wars items for sale last night at the Studios that could brush that "costume" line. Darth Vader dresses, Chewbacca hoodies, Jedi robes - you name it. All for sale. All in adult sizes. The "foolishness" isn't on the part of those having fun at Disney (oh heaven forbid!!); the foolishness is Disney not being crystal clear on what "costume" means after spending the last couple years encouraging creativity in the parks.

PhotoDave219

Except Disney themselves promoted the idea of Disneybounding in the parks with the previous "Show Your Disney Side" campaign. They spent almost two years encouraging people to bound and to further share on social media with specific hashtags and such. So to now act as if it's crazy that people would be upset over the sudden shift, or unsure what constitutes a "costume" is just ignorant. And there is a distinct difference between a bound and a cosplay. Cosplay has never been permitted outside of special events like MNSSHP anyway. But bounding was not only allowed but encouraged for the past few years.

Additionally, events like Dapper Day while unofficial have been welcomed and supported by Disney. I attended my first one this fall. Is a 50's inspired dress "costume?" What about a man in a dress shirt and suspenders? Or a bow tie? Costume or just a certain style? (Because while I may not dress vintage everyday, there are a LOT of people who do.) Disney made special "Dapper" drinks for that day and had signage that matched the Dapper Day website fonts and graphics. So clearly, they didn't mind several thousand sharply dressed guests attending that day.

There is a massively blurry line here. And that's before you even factor in "costume" clothing items as mentioned by @s8film40 ! There were dozens of Star Wars items for sale last night at the Studios that could brush that "costume" line. Darth Vader dresses, Chewbacca hoodies, Jedi robes - you name it. All for sale. All in adult sizes. The "foolishness" isn't on the part of those having fun at Disney (oh heaven forbid!!); the foolishness is Disney not being crystal clear on what "costume" means after spending the last couple years encouraging creativity in the parks.

I think they're really scared to draw a line in the sand and define what a "costume" is.

And that Dapper Day guy Justin still has no clue how crowds at WDW or weather here works.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom