News New security measures

s8film40

I wasn’t asking about speed. Internal testing shows airport security to fail 80 - 90% of the time. In no other field is that considered an effective success rate. What is Universal doing differently that makes their scans actually effective?
I’m not saying Universal is better than the airport. I would assume that Universal is not as good as the airport, but maybe pretty close and well ahead of Disney.

I don’t know the failure rate of the TSA, the numbers you give seem awfully high. I do know the failure rate on someone who doesn’t even go through a metal detector will of course be significantly higher. All I’m saying is what Disney does is pure theater, at least what Universal does is consistent and doesn’t have a long wait.

dreamfinder

I’m not saying Universal is better than the airport. I would assume that Universal is not as good as the airport, but maybe pretty close and well ahead of Disney.

I don’t know the failure rate of the TSA, the numbers you give seem awfully high. I do know the failure rate on someone who doesn’t even go through a metal detector will of course be significantly higher. All I’m saying is what Disney does is pure theater, at least what Universal does is consistent and doesn’t have a long wait.

One of the recent results indicates in the neighborhood of 80%. https://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-fails-tests-latest-undercover-operation-us-airports/story?id=51022188 Time and time again, even in internal tests, TSA has shockingly high failure rates at detecting things such as weapons. But yet they are remarkably good at detecting and confiscating rogue food.

EOD K9

Ironically, the threat of negative press about inadequate security measures might be what motivates them to do more.

We know that sending 100% of people through the metal detector and simultaneous bag x-ray is feasible, as Uni shows.

But also, why are the sniffing dogs only around intermittently? Why not make their presence - or a swabbing/puffing device - a permanent part of all security entrance areas? They can do similar swabbing/puffing of vehicles at all of the areas where they’re already being stopped (parking area entrances, resort entrances...).

Yet here’s the big problem: They really don’t want the negative publicity that TSA gets about inconveniencing people and even making people feel uncomfortable. (For example, what happens when the metal detector keeps going off on someone? How about people with metal braces and such? There’s no pat down team, is there? So what do they do?) One day, superior screening technology will surely solve this, but until then...?
The Itemizer (or as you call it "swabbing") is fairly easy to have. However, the amount of K9s needed to search the volume of people at each gate is a lot more than Disney has. The amount of resources needed for that is staggering.

AndyS2992

Seems like Universal has struck the best balance. Their security check is actually effective since they send everyone through a metal detector. They also don’t rely on employees to sift through bags and instead send them all through scanners. To top all that off it’s very fast. If your prepared most times you can essentially walk through without even stopping.
This is how Disneyland Paris works, everyone and all bags go through scanners and it works very well. Surprised the American parks haven’t adopted this.

Liberty6

If everyone read the latest article you would know that the shooter was seen on camera the day of the shooting at Disney Springs. The shooter can be seen looking at a police officer, and it is believed that he then decided to go to the night club instead. I don't remember reading that he was identified on Disney cameras the day of the attack previously. This really was a close call for Disney.
No they tracked him from his cell phone that showed he was at Disney Springs. His wife said as they were planning the attack that the police presence deterred him.

Marc Davis Fan

The Itemizer (or as you call it "swabbing") is fairly easy to have. However, the amount of K9s needed to search the volume of people at each gate is a lot more than Disney has. The amount of resources needed for that is staggering.

Oh that’s a good point; would be a heck of a lot of dogs.

Glad to hear the “Itemizer” would not be difficult. I wonder why they don’t do that, then? Perhaps even with cars?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And even those numbers are skewed because TSA considers it a success when it stops a legally owned weapon from accidentally being carried on a plane, even if there was no intent for malice.
Intent doesn't matter in a world of zero tolerance.

celluloid

I wasn’t asking about speed. Internal testing shows airport security to fail 80 - 90% of the time. In no other field is that considered an effective success rate. What is Universal doing differently that makes their scans actually effective?

Charging more for parking and not being a political target/under same scrutiny?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom