News New security measures

draybook

I wouldn't expect anything really official until it gets closer to that time of year. If they decide to allow it they will likely make sure the information is out there before tickets go on sale, if they decide not to they will probably provide an update a few days before the first party night so as not to deter ticket sales.

They better give a lot more notice than that. ie within the next week. My entire bounceback offer hinges on whether or not they allow costumes for my teens. If not then we'll go ahead with our planned February and May trips, since we already have the APs, but after that they will get nada.

s8film40

They better give a lot more notice than that. ie within the next week. My entire bounceback offer hinges on whether or not they allow costumes for my teens. If not then we'll go ahead with our planned February and May trips, since we already have the APs, but after that they will get nada.
I doubt it and even if they do it will come with the always present, "subject to change" line. This far out it really doesn't matter what they say.

draybook

I doubt it and even if they do it will come with the always present, "subject to change" line. This far out it really doesn't matter what they say.

I get what you're saying, but it matters for people like me who have to schedule PTO this far in advance. However, not all is lost. I believe there's a good chance that we'll start flying out to California to visit DL along with hitting up the ComicCon. Disneyland doesn't have a Halloween party, correct?

Edit: just saw that they will have the same rule regarding costumes. I dunno then, we might have to just start broadening our destination list.

draybook

s8film40

I get what you're saying, but it matters for people like me who have to schedule PTO this far in advance. However, not all is lost. I believe there's a good chance that we'll start flying out to California to visit DL along with hitting up the ComicCon. Disneyland doesn't have a Halloween party, correct?

Edit: just saw that they will have the same rule regarding costumes. I dunno then, we might have to just start broadening our destination list.
This is what I would go by, no specific information means the rule still applies during the party. I'm sure they absolutely want to lift it during the party and once they make a decision they will announce it for people making plans.

Disneyland is really great though and makes for a nice change if you've been to WDW many times. If your looking to broaden your Halloween experience you might give HHN a try they put a lot of money into that event it's a much bigger event than the Disney parties. Obviously very different tone of course.

draybook

This is what I would go by, no specific information means the rule still applies during the party. I'm sure they absolutely want to lift it during the party and once they make a decision they will announce it for people making plans.

Disneyland is really great though and makes for a nice change if you've been to WDW many times. If your looking to broaden your Halloween experience you might give HHN a try they put a lot of money into that event it's a much bigger event than the Disney parties. Obviously very different tone of course.

We love, LOVE, HHN. There's no doubt we'll be attending that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In my opinion, I think that the metal detectors were installed so that if someone walking through the "No Bags" entry appeared suspicious and possibly carrying something other than the usual keys, credit cards, money, camera, and cell phone, security could just send them through the metal detector. I would think that most every one has items in their pockets that would "set off" a metal detector. Therefore, although being forced to empty one's pockets is expected at airports and when entering courthouses and the like, should one be expected to have their privacy intruded upon when entering a theme park when one has already paid for entrance? Do the new signs state that one may encounter this happening?
Personally, I don't think that all the guests without bags will ever all be forced to go through a metal detector. Between emptying my pockets, going through a metal detector once and then being scanned by a wand (the belt buckle is always the culprit), it always takes me about a minute to a minute and a half to enter a courthouse. Could you see this happening at Disney? Do you really think that the bag checks are any better? Does any one actually check the undersides of all those strollers? Make the children in them get out? Check for false bottoms on all those bags? I hate to say it, however, safety and security is an illusion at Disney World. As cool weather approaches, more people will be wearing jackets that not only keep one warm, yet also can conceal much. Will everyone be forced to remove their jacket at the entrance? What about profiling? Want to know why Israel has a great security record for their air flights? THEY PROFILE! That isn't ever going to happen here, at least not in the near future and not at Disney.
So, do we still continue to go to Disney knowing that we could be singled out for the metal detector treatment and the emptying of one's pockets or do we avoid it? Quick short story. Our wedding anniversary was less than two weeks after 9/11 and during this time period, we had annual passes to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure. We took our 5-year old in a stroller to IOA. It was very quiet as expected and there were no signs up about changes in security or anything. AFTER we had entered the park, we were approached by security and were told that we had to succumb to a search of the items we had brought in (I know this is commonplace now, however, this NEVER occurred then at any place other than airports and maybe some courthouses), basically a bag with some drinks and snacks for our son. Out of principle and our rights of protection by unlawful search and seizure by The Constitution of the United States, we refused. An Orlando Police Officer was called, my husband and I were given written Trespass Warnings and told not to ever come back for at least a year. I considered suing. The lawyer wanted a several thousand dollar retainer, which at the time I could not afford, so I just dealt with it and never wanted to return. My son was heartbroken and a month later, we got annual passes to Disney again and he forgot about it too. At the time, I believe Disney had also started searching bags, HOWEVER, as I recall, they had signs up prior to entrance and the bag search was done PRIOR to entrance. This I understood as this was private property and these were their terms and these terms were conveyed to me prior to entrance. Although I had never planned to return to the Universal Studios theme parks, as our son got older, he wanted to go back again, however, I can count the number of times I've been there in the last 14 years on one hand. On an average, our family is at Disney World at least one to two days a month (and we live a 2-hour drive away). As well, as our son got older and didn't require a stroller and I got extremely peeved at someone prodding my $200 purse with a stick, I switched to wearing cargo pants/shorts and would only bring in what I could carry in my pockets. Therefore, I needn't be concerned with any one going through my belongings. It is very nice to be able to avoid the lines and just smile and say hello to the guards at the "No Bags" entry.
Now, do I want to continue going to Disney World knowing that the possibility exists of my being searched? Not sure, however, if I definitely knew that I and every one else entering was being forced to go through metal detectors and succumb to a search, I definitely will not go again. Not only is it time-consuming, it is also not foolproof. As well, the people only going through bag checks may or may not be forced to go through the metal detectors as well (and who knows what is in their pockets!) and unless the cast and entire staff of Disney World is also being subjected to these security measures, we are not in any way any safer.
So there you have it. Disney is going to do what Disney is going to do. Do we want to give up more of our rights to go there for the illusion of safety? The vast majority of the visitors will continue to go no matter what, however, I will not if this continues to progress. I love going to Disney too and feel like I am with family when there, however, is this any way for one to treat a family member? The magic of Disney is quickly fading away.

The terms of your ticket would have covered your concerns over signs... And your 'unlawful' search concerns were also misplaced. I giggled you fought to the point of being tresspassed.

lazyboy97o

As others have said, I really don't think this is about lawsuits. If something were to happen in Disney's parks, it would make post-9/11 look minor as how it affected the industry. Even if there isn't a credible threat, Disney is wise to protect the parks and likewise the entire Disney brand. I'd like to think they have the safety of their guests in mind as well, but either way they can't sit back and watch something happen, there's too much at stake.
The industry will be just as hurt and people just as dead if something happens outside park gates. This is just an arbitrary line.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Dlr does have Halloween parties... But they are a much newer concept there vs wdw... As classically all seasonal entertainment was just part of normal admission there

flynnibus

Premium Member
In 2013, 12 years after the Trade Center buildings went down, American Airlines settled with Cantor Fitzgerald for $135 million.

For what ultimately got whittled down to disruption of business and a settlement . A case that took over a decade of fighting to get that far... In a situation that was the biggest event since Pearl Harbor. I think that supports my case more than not.

KeithVH

To steer this towards another point someone made much earlier, let's say it's temporary. There was some mention of that, right? If so, how will it be spun when they remove the extra security? That would seem to open a whole bag of worms that could be negatively portrayed. "Obviously we weren't secure before but . ." , especially when nothing changes.

Or is this just the new normal?

Disneyhead'71

Heightened security measures showed up everywhere from Legoland CA to The Norfolk Scope (Basketball/Concert Arena) in VA. I feel safe in concluding that info they don't want us to know was shared among local government officials and large scale entertainment venues that prompted this increase in security.

Parks hiring more security isn't the terrorist winning. Us stopping traveling is the terrorist winning.

PhotoDave219

To steer this towards another point someone made much earlier, let's say it's temporary. There was some mention of that, right? If so, how will it be spun when they remove the extra security? That would seem to open a whole bag of worms that could be negatively portrayed. "Obviously we weren't secure before but . ." , especially when nothing changes.

Or is this just the new normal?

That is unclear.

I would expect thru marathon weekend at least.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom