News New security measures

MissM

I think they're really scared to draw a line in the sand and define what a "costume" is.

And that Dapper Day guy Justin still has no clue how crowds at WDW or weather here works.
Yeah thankfully, we had a one-day break in the weather just in time for Dapper Day this Fall but the next one is supposed to be in April in MK?? Ugh, that's some poor planning for weather and crowds for certain! ;)

s8film40

I think they're really scared to draw a line in the sand and define what a "costume" is.

And that Dapper Day guy Justin still has no clue how crowds at WDW or weather here works.
I've always felt that the dapper thing has evolved from being a dapper day to costume day. There is a part of me that would love to see Disney acknowledge this and call them costumes. Some people don't understand what dapper means.

twilight mitsuk

It is still something that is done for religious purposes that Disneybdoes not allow. If it is not wrong to ask Sikhs to disregard their long established religious practices then it shouldn't be wrong to ask the same of others.

In fact the TSA does not allow them in carry-on bags on plane

Biff215

I think Disneybounding will fly if it simply means dressing in a color and style of a particular character. It's not my thing but if done right it shouldn't be an issue. Masks and full on costumes are a little easier to identify. Shirts/sweatshirts that look like costumes should be allowed like any other appropriate clothing.

We have dealt with a similar issue in our schools in recent years. Costumes aren't allowed except for our Halloween parade, yet clothing like the Minecraft creeper hoodies are worn every day. Keep the hood down and unzipped and there's not much anyone can say.

The religious argument will perhaps be the toughest, but I don't think any of this will be much of an issue until the Halloween parties. Even then, if guests would just adhere to the rule and use common sense, there shouldn't be a problem. Of course there will be those who test it, Disney just has to be ready and consistent. Just like trick or treating in any place on Halloween, I'm not sure why adults can't leave the dressing up for the kids. Just my opinion.

G00fyDad

This is a stiff move by disney. It confusing because I have seen women dress in minnie dresses and elsa dresses is this banned to? I feel sorry for those that like to dress up at disney the ban seems a little too harsh. But I do not dress up but its sad.

I agree with you. I don't think it is warranted at all.

G00fyDad

Is this a costume or day attire?
back-future-marty-mcfly-jacket-video-thumbnail.jpg

It's a jacket (everyday clothing) and a hat (everyday clothing).

Its obviously a costume. Do I work for Disney? No. Do I agree with the rule? No. Let it go.

I have seen a large number of "costumes" that would represent someones everyday attire. For some it's simply a matter of dressing like a contemporary movie/television character, it might be normal clothing but recognizable clothing to those who get it. How about for example if someone goes as a Men in Black character. How is Disney going to identify if that person is just dressing nice to go out to eat as opposed to wearing a costume. People are VERY creative when it comes to this and these limits will be pushed. There is absolutely no way to do this without offending people, people now days are very sensitive and the media picks up on these stories very quickly. The description you describe of a man wearing a burka, imagine for a moment it's a transgender person and "she" is told she can't wear it because she's a man. If Disney doesn't come up with some kind of guideline they're going to be in big trouble with this.

Wearing a suit is not a costume. It is as much of a costume as me wearing khakis and a polo and saying I am a Substance Abuse Counselor for Halloween. A suit is just a suit. Cover your face and wear a "costume" and you are wearing a costume.

Now can people please stop acting like I am in favor of the no costume idea. I am not. I think it is stupid and too much of a knee jerk reaction. So put down the pitchforks and
let-it-go.png

G00fyDad

Which part of it do you consider a costume? Is the hat ok to wear by itself or the jacket? To me what makes it a costume is that it is identifiable to a movie character, this of course applies equally to a MIB costume.

One is a suit which is worn by people ALL OVER THE WORLD every day. The other is a costume from a movie. What do you not get about that? Scratch that. I have already said that I do not care.

4db26bb112d790b56fcaa934bad0b78808828b10.gif

s8film40

One is a suit which is worn by people ALL OVER THE WORLD every day. The other is a costume from a movie. What do you not get about that? Scratch that. I have already said that I do not care.
You know and I know that that's intended to look like Mart McFly. The point is that jacket and the hat have both been produced for everyday wear. The jeans and shirt are already pretty common. I would guess that both especially the hat have probably been worn more in a theme park setting than a full black suit. The question is at what point does something become a costume? That's a very difficult question and when your applying a rule to the general public you need to be prepared to answer that very specifically. Disney seems to have at least for now failed miserably at this, and if they don't fix it they're going to have some serious repercussions on their hands.

SirLink

Yes, your interpretation of simple installation of metal detectors as "paranoia over nothing" and "will hurt its profits because they have basically said to tourists Disney is not safe" is bizarre to me.

Folks, if a measure "won't stop everything" that doesn't mean it "does nothing" or is "an illusion" or doesn't make us safer. It's about degrees of security. Of course it makes us safer. Nothing will make us 100% safe. That doesn't mean we should be careless about it.

Speed limits don't stop everyone from speeding. Speeders kill people every year. Cops can't pull everyone over. I guess we should just do away with speed limits. Plus, they impede my trip to Orlando and I just don't like them and they restrict my freedom.

But again, the thing that sticks out to me the most is competing parks all did the same thing at the same time. There is something behind that coordination.

Will it hurt Disney profits? That's silly.

No my interpretation of banning toy guns/weapons is "paranoia over nothing". By installing visible security and reporting the fact has caused them to be a target, much more than having hidden security.

And actual if you look at Germany they have put this: "Any person driving a vehicle may only drive so fast that the car is under control. Speeds must be adapted to the road, traffic, visibility and weather conditions as well as the personal skills and characteristics of the vehicle and load."

Profits will shrink as people can't buy Star Wars blasters, plus friends working in BA and Virgin Holidays said people were cancelling trips "[as] Orlando it clearly is at "security risk" otherwise they wouldn't install security like they have done". Now these people work in call centers and the volume of calls they take is loads.

If they installed millimetre wave scanners sure, I can understand that from if they wanted to stop people concealing items. Metal detectors do not work or are simply for show. For example, this year went to Warner Bros Studios Tour in Hollywood, where you have to go through a metal detector - either it wasn't switched on or it simply couldn't detect keys, phone or change in my pocket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom