News New security measures

note2001

Put a camera there and boom, first PhotoPass pic of the day! The "I'm entering (insert theme park name)" shot!
Sales of the photobooth style trio shots will boom for those taken down by security for mistakenly pocketing their child's metal toy monorail.

Shot 1) Here I am entering Ma...
Shot 2) Wand out, arms up, look of shock on face
Shot 3) The takedown, face planted in pavement, Security CM in background, puzzled looking at a toy monorail in his hand.

The cost: only $14.95 for the print. Video is $24.95
The memories: Priceless.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
From what I can see so far; only in the PARKS themselves the guns stopped selling, at World of Disney and Disney Store locations I believe they still sell as I have been able to find the star wars weapons online {my phone is not compatible witd the disney shop app}

What I honestly think they should do now with the metal detectors, if they become perm, is to theme them to their location spot, for example, at Magic kingdom they feel to me as if out of place, they're too futuristic for the enntry to Magic Kingdom, so theme them to Main Street USA, like the rest of that area is themed. In EPCOT they'd they'd fit in perfectly just as is, just plunk a pair down by the monorail exit/bag check area. In Animal kingdom, make them look like they're made of wood or something,, in DHS, make them look like they;re right out of a timeless old hollywood movie

Just simple theming is all that is needed now; and then, once properly themed, nobody will even KNOW there's metal detectors at the parks!
Something like this?

image.jpg

FigmentsFangirl

Sales of the photobooth style trio shots will boom for those taken down by security for mistakenly pocketing their child's metal toy monorail.

Shot 1) Here I am entering Ma...
Shot 2) Wand out, arms up, look of shock on face
Shot 3) The takedown, face planted in pavement, Security CM in background, puzzled looking at a toy monorail in his hand.

The cost: only $14.95 for the print. Video is $24.95
The memories: Priceless.
To actually envision this in my head makes me laugh and other people in the room look at me as if I'm crazy

natatomic

You saw her come from ToonTown from Caribbean Plaza?

Conversely I saw a heated argument start at WEDway load. Within minutes four or five plain clothed males were pulling the parties apart. Said parties were walked down the speedramp with a calm "park security sir" reply from any protests.

I will say that in my 6 years working within the parks, I've seen my fair share of altercations (and have been the target of 1 or 2 myself, including a guest who was an off-duty cop and told me and a fellow CM that he was going to "put us into the ground.") Not once did any plain clothed officers respond to any of these situations. I know they are stationed at the entrances of the park, but I don't know if it has always been common practice to have them in the parks.

Though I would imagine they are probably in the parks now, given recent events.

Daniel Johnson

I go into the worst parts of Orlando at 3:30am and get in people's faces. I don't own a firearm.
what you do in your free time is your business, and the ownership of a weapon is also your personal business.
I don't hang out in the seeder parts of town in the wee hours of the morning.
I also don't get into other people's faces, thats more of a morals and respect thing. It has absolutely nothing to do with my ownership of a weapon. I don't go looking for trouble, which seems to what your insinuating. I don't go after people hoping to get into a gun battle. It was 4:15pm when a man stopped me in an alley off Colfax Ave in Denver and asked me for the time. He then stabbed me in the shoulder, grabbed my wallet and ran. I wasn't looking for trouble. Nor do I now. But. I am prepared to protect myself if the situation is to come about again. And not just with a weapon.

You didn't owe me any explanation, but I appreciate it.

I've been all over the area, and I know it is definitely shady in spots. My work used to take me to a lot of pawn shops, which are often not in the best parts of town.

Apologies for taking you for a "weekend commando." A lot of people are spouting off about this lately who don't know what they're talking about or think they're always going to win if we end up in a "Wild West" scenario where the average person is carrying. Or they just substitute it for some form of being macho or whatever.

The average person is not smart, IMO. I don't trust them with guns all over the place. Having a gun doesn't make someone a good guy or a bad guy, or trustworthy, reliable, a hero, a cop, or a judge/jury/executioner.

If there's a country I don't want to live in, it's where more people on the street have guns, nevermind worrying about how "sad" it is to have metal detectors at WDW.

I know I didn't need to give you an explanation, but, with the back and forth people seem to have on forums, it was easier to interject it. And I didn't assume you were calling me a weekend warrior. But. Figured it would come about in the thread.
You are correct, there are a lot of people who "pack" looking for a fight, I'm guessing that was the lawyers intentions when he entered MK with a pistol and made a joke saying it was his anatomy. A responsible gun owner would have not done such. They would have explained what they had, and would have produced proper and legitimate documention to legally be carrying in public, and would have then made the decision to secure his weapon in his personal vehicle, or left the premise given the private properties legal rights to ask that he not have a firearm on his person in that are of their property.
No. He made a joke and ran from a law enforcement officer. He is one of many people who have no business carrying a weapon.
But not all gun owners are like that, Thats all I was trying to convey.

Disney isn't a place anyone should worry about needing a weapon or concerned about someone having a weapon with evil intentions. Cudos to Disney on implementing a system to show they are concerned with the dangers of a weapon being In the park for any reason or being left somewhere that a child might find it.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I will say that in my 6 years working within the parks, I've seen my fair share of altercations (and have been the target of 1 or 2 myself, including a guest who was an off-duty cop and told me and a fellow CM that he was going to "put us into the ground.") Not once did any plain clothed officers respond to any of these situations. I know they are stationed at the entrances of the park, but I don't know if it has always been common practice to have them in the parks.

Though I would imagine they are probably in the parks now, given recent events.

I haven't seen them in the parks... Just by the entrances

Usually a k-9 and officers around. Have also seen officers around the bus depots

The k-9 was sitting directly adjacent to the guest path this morning at Epcot.

Daniel Johnson

I haven't seen them in the parks... Just by the entrances

Usually a k-9 and officers around. Have also seen officers around the bus depots

The k-9 was sitting directly adjacent to the guest path this morning at Epcot.
I've never seen a k9 team in the park or really near the entrance to a park. I've only seen them at Disney spring's and on the roads. Granted, I'm not focused on them at the gates!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And yet on the same day the President said pretty much the opposite.

Plastic guns that are 3D printed are already a demonstrated possibility.

Those are more of a hazard to the operator than the intended target, they have a nasty habit of exploding which is not a surprise given that the pressure's in the chamber at the moment of firing can exceed 100,000 PSI, There is a reason the barrel of a Glock is still metal.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ten seconds is a long time to rush you.

In none of these mass shooting incidents did the victims attempt to rush the shooter a 'human wave' approach would indeed be one way to stop a mass shooting. However the training that is given today in schools is the 'cower in the corner' model ie concentrate the unresisting targets in a convenient spot.

SirLink

So Disney and theme parks have paranoia over nothing. Should of just taken the London approach ignore anything that has or may happen and get on with your lives.... if you fear what the future will bring, they have won and you have lost. Oh well this paranoia inbred by Disney will hurt its profits because they have basically said to tourists Disney is not safe.

Tony the Tigger

So Disney and theme parks have paranoia over nothing. Should of just taken the London approach ignore anything that has or may happen and get on with your lives.... if you fear what the future will bring, they have won and you have lost. Oh well this paranoia inbred by Disney will hurt its profits because they have basically said to tourists Disney is not safe.

That's a truly bizarre interpretation.

s8film40

Those are more of a hazard to the operator than the intended target, they have a nasty habit of exploding which is not a surprise given that the pressure's in the chamber at the moment of firing can exceed 100,000 PSI, There is a reason the barrel of a Glock is still metal.
3D printing is really an emerging technology. There are currently metal 3D printers the plastic ones are just cheaper and more common. I would expect the availability and capabilities of 3D printers to exponentially increase over the next several years just like any other new technology.

In my opinion, I think that the metal detectors were installed so that if someone walking through the "No Bags" entry appeared suspicious and possibly carrying something other than the usual keys, credit cards, money, camera, and cell phone, security could just send them through the metal detector. I would think that most every one has items in their pockets that would "set off" a metal detector. Therefore, although being forced to empty one's pockets is expected at airports and when entering courthouses and the like, should one be expected to have their privacy intruded upon when entering a theme park when one has already paid for entrance? Do the new signs state that one may encounter this happening?
Personally, I don't think that all the guests without bags will ever all be forced to go through a metal detector. Between emptying my pockets, going through a metal detector once and then being scanned by a wand (the belt buckle is always the culprit), it always takes me about a minute to a minute and a half to enter a courthouse. Could you see this happening at Disney? Do you really think that the bag checks are any better? Does any one actually check the undersides of all those strollers? Make the children in them get out? Check for false bottoms on all those bags? I hate to say it, however, safety and security is an illusion at Disney World. As cool weather approaches, more people will be wearing jackets that not only keep one warm, yet also can conceal much. Will everyone be forced to remove their jacket at the entrance? What about profiling? Want to know why Israel has a great security record for their air flights? THEY PROFILE! That isn't ever going to happen here, at least not in the near future and not at Disney.
So, do we still continue to go to Disney knowing that we could be singled out for the metal detector treatment and the emptying of one's pockets or do we avoid it? Quick short story. Our wedding anniversary was less than two weeks after 9/11 and during this time period, we had annual passes to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure. We took our 5-year old in a stroller to IOA. It was very quiet as expected and there were no signs up about changes in security or anything. AFTER we had entered the park, we were approached by security and were told that we had to succumb to a search of the items we had brought in (I know this is commonplace now, however, this NEVER occurred then at any place other than airports and maybe some courthouses), basically a bag with some drinks and snacks for our son. Out of principle and our rights of protection by unlawful search and seizure by The Constitution of the United States, we refused. An Orlando Police Officer was called, my husband and I were given written Trespass Warnings and told not to ever come back for at least a year. I considered suing. The lawyer wanted a several thousand dollar retainer, which at the time I could not afford, so I just dealt with it and never wanted to return. My son was heartbroken and a month later, we got annual passes to Disney again and he forgot about it too. At the time, I believe Disney had also started searching bags, HOWEVER, as I recall, they had signs up prior to entrance and the bag search was done PRIOR to entrance. This I understood as this was private property and these were their terms and these terms were conveyed to me prior to entrance. Although I had never planned to return to the Universal Studios theme parks, as our son got older, he wanted to go back again, however, I can count the number of times I've been there in the last 14 years on one hand. On an average, our family is at Disney World at least one to two days a month (and we live a 2-hour drive away). As well, as our son got older and didn't require a stroller and I got extremely peeved at someone prodding my $200 purse with a stick, I switched to wearing cargo pants/shorts and would only bring in what I could carry in my pockets. Therefore, I needn't be concerned with any one going through my belongings. It is very nice to be able to avoid the lines and just smile and say hello to the guards at the "No Bags" entry.
Now, do I want to continue going to Disney World knowing that the possibility exists of my being searched? Not sure, however, if I definitely knew that I and every one else entering was being forced to go through metal detectors and succumb to a search, I definitely will not go again. Not only is it time-consuming, it is also not foolproof. As well, the people only going through bag checks may or may not be forced to go through the metal detectors as well (and who knows what is in their pockets!) and unless the cast and entire staff of Disney World is also being subjected to these security measures, we are not in any way any safer.
So there you have it. Disney is going to do what Disney is going to do. Do we want to give up more of our rights to go there for the illusion of safety? The vast majority of the visitors will continue to go no matter what, however, I will not if this continues to progress. I love going to Disney too and feel like I am with family when there, however, is this any way for one to treat a family member? The magic of Disney is quickly fading away.

SirLink

That's a truly bizarre interpretation.

Hows it bizarre? They do this to try and instill fear to make westerners(people and businesses) change how they do business. If you change how you react to world events you let them win. Londoners had the best reaction after the bombs they complained the bus and tube weren't on time and ignored the events. That is how you react to people trying to instill fear you don't change... otherwise you have lost.

Do you really think Disney is doing anything other than being paranoid?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom