News New security measures

MississippiBelle

The "one guy with the gun" is likely not the reason that Disney, Universal, and Sea World all did this on the same day. The heads of the parks, especially Disney, get a lot more intelligence information than any of us get. There was something or several somethings that made them do this. Maybe it was a decision the parks made. Maybe somebody told them all "we highly recommend you up your security." Either way, there is a reason this all happened in one day at all three plus Disneyland.

Or because it's a week off from two of the biggest holidays of the year and they are taking precautions (as they should). I'm honestly surprised there haven't been metal detectors before now. I've seen a lot of people in different forms of media talking about how "the world is falling apart" and "it's sad this is the new normal". This is not a new thing. There have been attacks on American soil for decades. What's new is how quickly things can get blown out of proportion on social media. I agree that this was probably to reassure guests that their safety is being accounted for. I also agree that Disney has probably had top notch security protocols in place for years before now that the common guest didn't see. There's a reason there hasn't been an attack in any of the parks, other than "the bad guys just haven't planned one yet." Vigilance and common sense are always a good idea, but there's no need to go full Chicken Little when theme parks step up security during the holidays while things are still tense.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe those 14 year old terrorists are planning to attack WDW with sawed off bubble guns. Best to ban the bubble guns, and disallow the bad guy children from wearing costumes just to be safe.

RT2O31x.gif
Turkey legs look like clubs. For ages people were clubbed to death. Just saying.

MJ6987

Glad to see this extra security measure. Anything that deters wrongdoers is a good thing. At Disneyland Paris, all bags have to go through a scanner, not just a sample.

wishiwere@wdw

Disney is in touch with FBI/CIA and other government agencies in regards to daily Threat assessments…

I don't feel this is necessary
You bring up a very interesting and good point.... And I agree. They've had this constant feed of Intel all along and just now suddenly decide to install them (and hastily at best)? Normally I don't mentally head down this path but the fact that the big 3 all did this around the same time makes you have to wonder if there is more to this. Measures like this are put in place for reasons way beyond catching somebody with metal objects on their person. It slows things down and allows for observation of body language. These people are trained (I'm obviously not speaking of the scanner people!) to recognize a potential threat as its moving through an area. So I guess this all has me wondering if there is a legitimate credible threat? I guess we'll know in a few weeks if they disappear and buzz light year blasters are back on the shelves.

lazyboy97o

The "one guy with the gun" is likely not the reason that Disney, Universal, and Sea World all did this on the same day. The heads of the parks, especially Disney, get a lot more intelligence information than any of us get. There was something or several somethings that made them do this. Maybe it was a decision the parks made. Maybe somebody told them all "we highly recommend you up your security." Either way, there is a reason this all happened in one day at all three plus Disneyland.
And yet on the same day the President said pretty much the opposite.

My thought is that maybe there was some credible Intel that bad guys (the real bad guys, not the law abiding conceal carry bad guys) had some how found a way to use toy gun shells to cover real guns as part of a planned attack.
Plastic guns that are 3D printed are already a demonstrated possibility.

FigmentsFangirl

Question: this toy ban just affect " in the park" sales, does not include World of Disney, Disney Store, or Disney Shop App?

Looking for the day they ban the Pirate Sword next.
From what I can see so far; only in the PARKS themselves the guns stopped selling, at World of Disney and Disney Store locations I believe they still sell as I have been able to find the star wars weapons online {my phone is not compatible witd the disney shop app}

What I honestly think they should do now with the metal detectors, if they become perm, is to theme them to their location spot, for example, at Magic kingdom they feel to me as if out of place, they're too futuristic for the enntry to Magic Kingdom, so theme them to Main Street USA, like the rest of that area is themed. In EPCOT they'd they'd fit in perfectly just as is, just plunk a pair down by the monorail exit/bag check area. In Animal kingdom, make them look like they're made of wood or something,, in DHS, make them look like they;re right out of a timeless old hollywood movie

Just simple theming is all that is needed now; and then, once properly themed, nobody will even KNOW there's metal detectors at the parks!

Tony the Tigger

Very few instances of shootings invoke assault rifles. Being semiautomatic is not what makes an assault rifle. Assault rifles like those whose ban lapsed at the federal level were still illegal in California, the guns used in San Bernadino were purchased legally and were not assault rifles.

Were they hunting rifles? You seem to be arguing with the wrong person or the wrong point.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/rifles-...o-shooting-illegal-under-state-law-1449201057

Tony the Tigger

Thing is it is not JUST the bubble gun's that are not being sold at Disney parks or anywhere else on Disney property, the Star Wars blasters, and a other gunlike items {yes I mean the buzz lightyear things} are not being sold anymore.

Talk about stupid; the whole POINT of selling Star Wars stuff at Disney is that it is pretty dang cheaper then at the toystore or walmart {trust me on this, I was at Disney in November, the price of a Storm trooper blaster was 45% cheaper at World of Disney then at the local Target superstore!} Stopping the sales of those items will hit Disney hard for sure

Seriously? Something at Disney is cheaper than Target?? Mind blown.

FigmentsFangirl

Seriously? Something at Disney is cheaper than Target?? Mind blown.
Yup, and that was the Target Supercenter just outside of Daytona Beach! but back on topic please; I dont see the need to ban such items from being sold in the parks. but if they're still sold at World of Disney, then hey, no big deal, Disney Sprtings will be packed with people buying Star Wars gear

Tony the Tigger

I doubt they're honestly worried about whether or not the toy guns would sell in the parks when it comes to anything gun related. It's only stupid to people that were looking forward to buying them and now cant.

Meh, I can understand not wanting to see certain "gun-like" toys removed. They're toys. My guess is this was more to protect the kids based on recent events. But if someone can't tell the difference between a bubble "gun" and a replica gun, come on...

Are they going to take out the shooting gallery in Frontierland? LOL. I don't know. I'm torn on the removing toys thing, especially the ones that are so obviously toys.

Tony the Tigger

From what I can see so far; only in the PARKS themselves the guns stopped selling, at World of Disney and Disney Store locations I believe they still sell as I have been able to find the star wars weapons online {my phone is not compatible witd the disney shop app}

What I honestly think they should do now with the metal detectors, if they become perm, is to theme them to their location spot, for example, at Magic kingdom they feel to me as if out of place, they're too futuristic for the enntry to Magic Kingdom, so theme them to Main Street USA, like the rest of that area is themed. In EPCOT they'd they'd fit in perfectly just as is, just plunk a pair down by the monorail exit/bag check area. In Animal kingdom, make them look like they're made of wood or something,, in DHS, make them look like they;re right out of a timeless old hollywood movie

Just simple theming is all that is needed now; and then, once properly themed, nobody will even KNOW there's metal detectors at the parks!

Good thinking!

yepitsandy

Put a camera there and boom, first PhotoPass pic of the day! The "I'm entering (insert theme park name)" shot!

Nubs70

Yet the Sandy Hook mass shooting was done mainly with revolvers and a shotgun, The 'scary assault weapons' never left the trunk of the car (though he did have them there)

Once again 'nut control' which IS effective vs 'Gun Control' which is not unless it means using BOTH hands...
If all the meds advertised on tv can result in a myriad of further, more severe ailments, Is it just possible that a side effect of psychiatric meds make you go bat crap nuts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom