News New security measures

BringMeTheHoriz

I'd be interested to see what your opinion would be if a "bad" guy with a gun with intention of putting a bullet in your head was stopped by a "bad" guy that is concealed carrying in case such an event were to happen.

Have you ever considered that those of us that do carry consider those of that don't carry as the bad guy because you don't have enough concern for your own personal safety to do so?

I'm not sure that's the right mentality.

I ride my road bike 200+ miles a week on city streets, sharing the road with vehicles that weigh 4000+ pounds vs. me and my bike at about 200 pounds. That's riskier than anything else I do with my time, including not having a firearm on my person. It doesn't mean I don't care about my personal safety, I've just decided that the benefits outweigh the risks. I do everything I can to make myself as safe as possible doing the activity though.

Its not that I don't own firearms or believe in their worth. I've just decided that I haven't had the appropriate training to be confident in carrying them anywhere outside my residence. By that I mean, if I had a firearm on me at a place where somebody decided to started opening fire, could I safely use that weapon to end the threat without injuring anybody else? Would I be adding to the complete confusion and chaos going on around me? Will someone else who is carrying (civilians or otherwise) then interpret me as a threat in that confusion? I haven't been able to comfortably or confidently answer those questions yet, so the firearms stay at home.

Prince-1

They should have made these changes more discretely. The fact that this is now all over the media is probably not a good thing.
1. WDW and etc, become a bigger target.
2. Any TSA style screw ups on the part of Disney Security will become fodder for the media.
3. It may not be effective.
4. Even though it's a positive move by WDW, It's still negative PR.

It was handled very discreetly as WDW did not do anything to announce it or advertise it. Sites like this and the media blew it up as they should have done due to the magnitude of the change.

1) Nope. WDW was a big enough target. This did nothing to make it bigger.
2) You scored on this one.
3) Depends on their desired goal. If they planned on thwarting every single from doing harm to people in the parks then that won't happen. Bad stuff can always get through. But if they wants to stop some random screwball who watched one to many ISIS videos on the web then they might get lucky.
4) Pretty sure they aren't worried about bad PR. Just imagine if someone actually did get a gun into the park and uses it. I think that PR might be just a litttttttttle worse.

rucifee

Please keep on discussing the banning of those evil bubble guns from WDW.

M24PM0r.png

natatomic

Here's the reality!
1. I can no longer buy a Pirates of the Caribbean gun for my kids because one guy tried to bring a gun into a park. One guy's bad, so punish everyone!

I haven't had a chance to finish reading the whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been said, but people try to bring guns into the parks everyday. The one guy just happened to make the news because he was an idiot about it (he ran away, didn't have a permit, etc. Also, I just want to point out that he was caught without the use of a metal detector.) But many people don't realize that Disney already had rules about not allowing guns within the parks. There are no signs after all, but it's private property and they can make their own rules. But many people believe that if they have a conceal carry permit (or are armed government officials, even if off duty), they can bring them in. That's why there are lockers OUTSIDE the parks. So that people can leave their "contraband." But anyway, people trying to bring guns into parks is nothing new. I highly doubt the metal detectors were put in place because of the one guy who made the news a couple weeks back.

FigmentsFangirl

Thing is it is not JUST the bubble gun's that are not being sold at Disney parks or anywhere else on Disney property, the Star Wars blasters, and a other gunlike items {yes I mean the buzz lightyear things} are not being sold anymore.

Talk about stupid; the whole POINT of selling Star Wars stuff at Disney is that it is pretty dang cheaper then at the toystore or walmart {trust me on this, I was at Disney in November, the price of a Storm trooper blaster was 45% cheaper at World of Disney then at the local Target superstore!} Stopping the sales of those items will hit Disney hard for sure

yepitsandy

The "one guy with the gun" is likely not the reason that Disney, Universal, and Sea World all did this on the same day. The heads of the parks, especially Disney, get a lot more intelligence information than any of us get. There was something or several somethings that made them do this. Maybe it was a decision the parks made. Maybe somebody told them all "we highly recommend you up your security." Either way, there is a reason this all happened in one day at all three plus Disneyland.

natatomic

My best friend is a PA cop. Works at a major NYC area airport. I promise you, metal detectors and scanners do work.

As for feelings of anxiety, my feelings of anxiety go down when I see security in place.

My husband's uncle is a police officer in NYC. He came to visit us about a month ago and flew out of an NYC airport. When he walked through the metal detector at the airport, he was carrying. Guess what didn't go off? The metal detector. He went up to a TSA agent, let him know that he was an officer who was conceal-carrying, and that the metal detector did not detect the gun on his hip. The agent was exasperated, but NOT surprised. Sure, some metal detectors work. But when they don't work, no one has any idea until it's brought to their attention. How often do you think that happens?

And again, this was at an airport in New York City, of all places (I think it was JFK, but I honestly don't remember). You honestly think the CSC with their (ahem) top-shelf employees can do better than the TSA? Doubtful.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My husband's uncle is a police officer in NYC. He came to visit us about a month ago and flew out of an NYC airport. When he walked through the metal detector at the airport, he was carrying. Guess what didn't go off? The metal detector. He went up to a TSA agent, let him know that he was an officer who was conceal-carrying, and that the metal detector did not detect the gun on his hip. The agent was exasperated, but NOT surprised. Sure, some metal detectors work. But when they don't work, no one has any idea until it's brought to their attention. How often do you think that happens?

And again, this was at an airport in New York City, of all places (I think it was JFK, but I honestly don't remember). You honestly think the CSC with their (ahem) top-shelf employees can do better than the TSA? Doubtful.
TSA is about as effective as putting butter on a burn. Adds no value and makes the pain worse.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Thing is it is not JUST the bubble gun's that are not being sold at Disney parks or anywhere else on Disney property, the Star Wars blasters, and a other gunlike items {yes I mean the buzz lightyear things} are not being sold anymore.

Talk about stupid; the whole POINT of selling Star Wars stuff at Disney is that it is pretty dang cheaper then at the toystore or walmart {trust me on this, I was at Disney in November, the price of a Storm trooper blaster was 45% cheaper at World of Disney then at the local Target superstore!} Stopping the sales of those items will hit Disney hard for sure

I doubt they're honestly worried about whether or not the toy guns would sell in the parks when it comes to anything gun related. It's only stupid to people that were looking forward to buying them and now cant.

natatomic

TSA is about as effective as putting butter on a burn. Adds no value and makes the pain worse.

Yes, I agree. Sorry, when I said, "You honestly think the CSC with their (ahem) top-shelf employees can do better than the TSA? Doubtful." I didn't mean to imply that the TSA was in any way competent at their jobs either.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I doubt they're honestly worried about whether or not the toy guns would sell in the parks when it comes to anything gun related. It's only stupid to people that were looking forward to buying them and now cant.
My thought is that maybe there was some credible Intel that bad guys (the real bad guys, not the law abiding conceal carry bad guys) had some how found a way to use toy gun shells to cover real guns as part of a planned attack.

yepitsandy

They can easily put something else in that spot and sell it instead. This is Disney, they are not merchandise stupid. Replace the Star Wars guns with lightsabers. Replace the pirate guns with swords. Replace the Buzz Lightyear guns with, I dunno, wings. I am pretty sure they immediately crafted a plan to replace whatever sales they are losing from guns (were guns a huge selling thing anyway?).

rucifee

My thought is that maybe there was some credible Intel that bad guys (the real bad guys, not the law abiding conceal carry bad guys) had some how found a way to use toy gun shells to cover real guns as part of a planned attack.

That, or they figured out how to glue an orange tip on a real weapon.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
This is what Universal is doing and it does look like it might be working better.

During HHN they have a no bag line and they have you take everything out of your pockets and hold it in your hands while they scan you. That seems to be the absolute fastest way to do it, of course that only works with people traveling with less stuff.

At carowinds, if you have bags, you go through the "wand" part, then place your bag on a table for them to check. I keep forgetting about the situation for guests with bags.. It seems to work really well at Carowinds.

rucifee

Maybe those 14 year old terrorists are planning to attack WDW with sawed off bubble guns. Best to ban the bubble guns, and disallow the bad guy children from wearing costumes just to be safe.

RT2O31x.gif

dvitali

Question: this toy ban just affect " in the park" sales, does not include World of Disney, Disney Store, or Disney Shop App?

Looking for the day they ban the Pirate Sword next.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom