New Samantha Brown special

fractal

I agree with a lot of the comments here.

Just a big long commercial for Disney and way over the top sugary, magical, etc.

Here I'm trying to convince my wife to go back this summer and had her sit down with me to watch this and she was rolling her eyes, and making "gag me with a spoon" gestures and comments.

:hammer:

fractal

I really don't get what some of you were expecting...

I think something more sincere and realistic. I mean honestly, it was a commercial for WDW and made Disney lovers look like cool-aid drinking, Mickey Mouse cult zombies with smiles permanently implanted in their face.

I would love to see Anthony Bordain take on WDW!

Tigger1988

I think something more sincere and realistic. I mean honestly, it was a commercial for WDW and made Disney lovers look like cool-aid drinking, Mickey Mouse cult zombies with smiles permanently implanted in their face.

So really, what did you want? An hour of screaming children, footage of waiting in lines and sweaty people standing way too close to the screen?

They weren't going to have a show where the stars go "well, I liked that ride...it was ok I guess...could've been better :shrug:"

fractal

So really, what did you want? An hour of screaming children, footage of waiting in lines and sweaty people standing way too close to the screen?

They weren't going to have a show where the stars go "well, I liked that ride...it was ok I guess...could've been better :shrug:"

You know, some of my best memories from Disney are during times when things didn't go well.

In 2009 we finished our meal at Raglan Road to find out there was a torrential downpour waiting for us outside. We decided to wait it out in the lobby. There was an older couple across from us, the husband in a wheel chair. My youngest was scared of him and my two teenagers were giggling at him. Well, we got to talking with them and found out they were brilliantly funny, kind and entertaining. They were from Alabama and always wanted to go to WDW and they finally made it. We were almost upset when the rain stopped. Also taught my kids a few lessons.

At the Little Mermaids show at DHS, my 7 year old was dressed up as the little mermaid ( from Bibbity Bobbity ) and when Ursula showed up, she immediately dropped to the ground and spent the rest of the show under her chair in fear of Ursula confusing her with the real Little Mermaid. We still talk about that.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with these stories - the whole point of Disney World to me is spending time with my family and make real memories that don't have to be "perfect".

Yankee Mouse

You know, some of my best memories from Disney are during times when things didn't go well.

In 2009 we finished our meal at Raglan Road to find out there was a torrential downpour waiting for us outside. We decided to wait it out in the lobby. There was an older couple across from us, the husband in a wheel chair. My youngest was scared of him and my two teenagers were giggling at him. Well, we got to talking with them and found out they were brilliantly funny, kind and entertaining. They were from Alabama and always wanted to go to WDW and they finally made it. We were almost upset when the rain stopped. Also taught my kids a few lessons.

At the Little Mermaids show at DHS, my 7 year old was dressed up as the little mermaid ( from Bibbity Bobbity ) and when Ursula showed up, she immediately dropped to the ground and spent the rest of the show under her chair in fear of Ursula confusing her with the real Little Mermaid. We still talk about that.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with these stories - the whole point of Disney World to me is spending time with my family and make real memories that don't have to be "perfect".

I think that is part of the point of what people, at least I, expected. Real memories and not manufactured ones. That was why I liked the first two segments the best, they seemed genuine in their enjoyment and memories, like they could have just been anyone in the park. After that it just felt manufactured.

draybook

Original Poster
With all due respect people, realism doesn't sell(so to speak). Just like we get bombarded with half naked people pushing deodorant on tv, they show us smiling giggling people at WDW. Because some people might not want to come if they saw Brazilian tour groups, or cheer teams, or hot sweaty carcasses stuffed into a queue line.

I enjoyed the show because it took me to the park in my mind, and away from this hell that they call Memphis.

WDW1974

I think that is part of the point of what people, at least I, expected. Real memories and not manufactured ones. That was why I liked the first two segments the best, they seemed genuine in their enjoyment and memories, like they could have just been anyone in the park. After that it just felt manufactured.

BINGO!

WDW produces millions and millions of wonderful, magical, REAL memories for guests every year.

These simply weren't it. I don't like being talked down to. Shows like this do that.

whether it was seeing one of my (least) favorite publicity hacks riding around with the family on KS or seeing the blonde's family's brats get the kind of preferential treatment that no one else gets (while pimping the Jon Benet boutique) with the characters ... it all was just so incredibly phony. I get that some people don't care and like that kind of thing ... I don't.

lebeau

I get the complaints about it being phoney and a commerical. But I expect all of those things whenever I watch a Disney show on Travel Channel. They always tow the company line. I watch the shows for high quality (not You Tube) footage of the parks and resort. I point things out to my daughter and ask if she remembers doing that or if she'd like to try that next time. The show itself is almost besides the point.

The only truly good Disney World show I've seen in recent years is Modern Marvels on the History Channel. (I also didn't hate Food Networks "Disney World Unwrapped".) The rest are just long commercials. We all know that going in. If you can't derive enjoyment from them somehow, don't watch.

(I will admit to sharing a guffaw with my wife over the private princess m&g in the grass after the BBB. I wonder how many viewers are going to think that's included in the package!)

wvdisneyfamily

I was happy just to see a new Disney special. However, there were things I would have done differently. Real memories from the memories submission contest would have been great. The beginning of the new planning DVD expanded into a show, guest photos, etc...

DiPSU224

Also, not sure how publicized it was but Samantha and Disney had a very rocky relationship of late that seemed headed for court, but I guess they kissed and made up.

I want to hear more about this! What happened?

We watched and we enjoyed it. It is always nice to see a little of Disney on a cold winters night. I really enjoyed seeing they players first Disney experiences.

Exactly. I haven't seen it yet, but honestly...we're all a bunch of fanatics when it comes to this place. 99% of the info in these "specials" are things we've already known about. Heck, we probably could write half of these shows. It's going to be corny, cheesy, etc...they all are. Don't watch them from now on if it's just going to disappoint you.

As far as people experiencing rides with characters...I have to say I have seen this on 2 occasions. Once was back in 2003. Aladdin and Jasmine were riding the carpets with children. Then, back in either 07 or 09 we saw the Mad Hatter riding the teacups. There were no cameras in sight and the guests were no one that I recognized to be famous....

lebeau

As far as people experiencing rides with characters...I have to say I have seen this on 2 occasions. Once was back in 2003. Aladdin and Jasmine were riding the carpets with children. Then, back in either 07 or 09 we saw the Mad Hatter riding the teacups. There were no cameras in sight and the guests were no one that I recognized to be famous....

While I've never seen it, I know people who have ridden with characters before. So it does happen. Just not frequently.

If you watched the show and took it at face value, you'd think Goofy rides the Barnstormer with everyone, the Mad Hatter is waiting for you at the tea cups and the princesses have a private pow wow in the grass with anyone who gets a make-over at the BBB.

I like when they shows us parts of WDW I'll never see (the state rooms at the resorts for example) but it's slightly galling for them to misrepresent the parks so blatantly.

DiPSU224

While I've never seen it, I know people who have ridden with characters before. So it does happen. Just not frequently.

If you watched the show and took it at face value, you'd think Goofy rides the Barnstormer with everyone, the Mad Hatter is waiting for you at the tea cups and the princesses have a private pow wow in the grass with anyone who gets a make-over at the BBB.

I like when they shows us parts of WDW I'll never see (the state rooms at the resorts for example) but it's slightly galling for them to misrepresent the parks so blatantly.

This is true. I do forget that there are people who actually vacation elsewhere and don't know a thing about the place we obsess over so much. :lol:

kapeman

Eh...I didn't watch. Seemed like too much of a commercial to me.:shrug:
I really don't watch the TV shows anymore unless there is going to be some backstage or WDI stuff.

I always hope, but never expect, that we will get at least a hint of something new. Oh well par for the course.

I have to echo these sentiments.

I know not to expect a whole lot of new info, but one or two tidbits would be nice.

I also would like to see more emphasis on the resorts and/or dining options.

I wish they would re-air the Great Hotels or even do an update on them.

For us, the resort can be as much of a draw as the parks.

Tigger1988

So...it's ok for the actual WDW commercials to show a child walking hand in and with Mickey Mouse? Not another guest in sight. Pretty sure I've seen actual WDW commercials that show characters on rides with guests as well.

If anyone watches this and thinks ALL these things will 100% happen when you go to WDW, they're an idiot. They didn't represent the parks in any way Disney hasn't done before, in their own marketing campaigns.

lebeau

So...it's ok for the actual WDW commercials to show a child walking hand in and with Mickey Mouse? Not another guest in sight. Pretty sure I've seen actual WDW commercials that show characters on rides with guests as well.

If anyone watches this and thinks ALL these things will 100% happen when you go to WDW, they're an idiot. They didn't represent the parks in any way Disney hasn't done before, in their own marketing campaigns.

I hadn't thought about the commercials.

I can't speak for the average guest (being an enthusiast obviously), but to me the commercials are fairly obvious. You know Mickey's not really going to personally guide you around the parks.

If you've been to WDW before, you probably know better than to expect characters to reguarily ride with your kids. But, the bit with the BBB was pretty misleading. I could easily see people thinking this is included in the package.

Sure, a simple phone call could clear it up. But still...

Also, I think people are going to take a show on the Travel Channel more seriously than a 30-second TV commercial. They probably shouldn't, but most poeple don't realize these shows are little more than 45-minute commericals themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom