New Samantha Brown special

lebeau

My wife was especially excited to see the footage from the Killamanjaro Safari ride; AK is clearly going to be a highlight of our visit.

My wife's response to that footage was "I've never seen anywhere near that many animals on the safari. And they were never that close. The safari is kind of lame."

It should be noted, my wife isn't a big WDW fan.

Malvito

My wife's response to that footage was "I've never seen anywhere near that many animals on the safari. And they were never that close. The safari is kind of lame."

It should be noted, my wife isn't a big WDW fan.

*LOL* Once again, a matter of perspective.

Tigger1988

Yes, it was an ad for Disney properties. A show entitled Disney Memories is not going to be an expose. We enjoyed it, quite a bit, especially the enthusiasm of Ms. Brown and the HGTV host.

Yup and I fail to see what was insincere about most of the segments. Anyone familiar with Dave Bromstad knows he's a Disney freak and worked for the animation dept for a short time. Nothing about what he was saying was amplified for the special, that's just him.

But as always people will find something, anything, to complain about.

NYwdwfan

Yup and I fail to see what was insincere about most of the segments. Anyone familiar with Dave Bromstad knows he's a Disney freak and worked for the animation dept for a short time. Nothing about what he was saying was amplified for the special, that's just him.

I thought it was fun - it was nice seeing rides from a different perspective - especially EE which I am scared to ride (and feel like a real baby after seeing that guy's mom ride!). The special was as billed: other people's memories. And while I enjoyed it, I won't be watching it over and over again like Modern Marvels.

lebeau

As I said before, I enjoyed the show. But there are legit reasons to be critical of it.

It's not that people were looking for an expose. But you could have done a 100% positive, promotional piece that didn't feel so much like a commercial.

As has been stated several times, the casual viewer could come away from this show with several misconceptions about Disney World. (These could have been easily cleared up which leads one to the conclusion that the show was intentionally misleading).

Even if you wanted to make a puff piece about Disney memories, there are so many real stories that could have been used that would have been more meaningful than the handful of cable "celebrities" clearly tying their stories into a list of talking points.

This is all true of most Travel Channel Disney shows in recent years. So, it's not surprising. But, just because TC has lowered their standards doesn't mean that a show that meets those low standards is beyond criticism.

420WDW MONSTER

lame! it was really cheesy it didnt make disney look fun, i told everyone to watch it so they would know what to expect, and thier response was thats it, samantha brown was the only intresting part, but i love watching her show to begin with

Malvito

lame! it was really cheesy it didnt make disney look fun ...

Quotes like this are why I wrote, "...it's a matter of perspective."

I thought it made Disney look like plenty of fun. Perhaps not the Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boutique, but that is because we don't have kids.

My wife was literally bouncing upon seeing the Killamanjaro footage. We were both entertained by the flamboyant HGTV host; his segment is making me rethink going on EE. (I'm not a coaster fan, though I like the flight simulator rides, not sure why one and not the other.) And, like some others on this board, I was glad to see some rides getting the love that normally do not; it was nice to see one of my favs, it's a small world, get mentioned without being derided.

What constitutes "fun" is not necessarily universal. Even at Universal. (Sorry; couldn't resist.)

lebeau

My wife was literally bouncing upon seeing the Killamanjaro footage. We were both entertained by the flamboyant HGTV host; his segment is making me rethink going on EE. (I'm not a coaster fan, though I like the flight simulator rides, not sure why one and not the other.)

He oversold the scare factor on Everest by about 100x. It's BTMRR's slightly bigger brother. The yeti used to be the scariest and most exciting part... when he worked...

lebeau

Really? Hmmm ... that might actually get me on the ride. As noted, I am not a roller coaster fan.

It's a coaster - but a tame one by most any standard. What elevates it is the show elements. I don't personally know anyone - coaster fan or not - who considers this ride scary.

(Lest anyone think I'm bashing Everest, I'm not. But if Everest were at our local amusement park minus any show elements, it would be in kiddie land.)

toolsnspools

Can we sue them for false advertisement? It was in fact a commercial, and I actuall enjoyed it until David talked about the Yeti swooping down to grab you. He's not a very good liar. It was obvious that the words were forced.

I'll admit that I enjoyed the DCL part as well because that seemed genuine. I don't know who the couple was that they featured, but they seemed to be sincere. A little annoyed even that they needed to be making the commercial.

Why not send a camera crew through the parks getting ad-hoc interviews with real guests? If they did that for a week they could put together a much better special than this.

AEfx

Why not send a camera crew through the parks getting ad-hoc interviews with real guests? If they did that for a week they could put together a much better special than this.

Oh God, those are even worse, LOL. The only thing worse than fake-phony Samantha Brown is fake-phony park guests trying to get on TV LOL. "STITCH GREAT ESCAPE IS THE BESTEST SHOW EVER!!!"

They *are* just glorified commercials, we all know that, but they at least used to be interesting. And so much of what she shows in these are just boring as heck.

I might DVR this one, but something tells me I'll be skipping through most of it just like the last few.

redsfan4life

Does Anyone know if Destination America is showing 3 Disney programs tommorow morning . I saw them listed on a thread in disney tv , but the guide on my tv is not listing them . the thread I read said Sunday July 1st at 10,11, and 12 .

tracyandalex

Does Anyone know if Destination America is showing 3 Disney programs tommorow morning . I saw them listed on a thread in disney tv , but the guide on my tv is not listing them . the thread I read said Sunday July 1st at 10,11, and 12 .

I saw 2 in late June. One was Undiscovered Disney (something like that) and I can't remember the name of the other one, but it told the WDW creation story.
I hope these are repeated again because I was only able to DVR the Undiscovered one.

lebeau

I saw 2 in late June. One was Undiscovered Disney (something like that) and I can't remember the name of the other one, but it told the WDW creation story.
I hope these are repeated again because I was only able to DVR the Undiscovered one.

They were running Undiscovered Disney Parks and Disney World: Behind the Scenes. I was lucky enough to DVR both. Disney's Animal Kingdo is on today or tomorrow. Set your DVRs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom