News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

Disney Maddux

So, it looks like very clear work is happening behind the CC showbuilding. I've heard rumors that the original theatre doors are getting sealed shut a la Body Wars. Can anyone confirm similar rumblings? I'd imagine with all the current exploring debacles they'd make their best attempt to make it inaccessible to anyone other than someone who should be in there. Then again I've also heard people here say they're not touching the back parts whatsoever, so what do I know?
I still can't believe they're just leaving it back there...

Dragonman

I know they were fixing the ceiling and stuff so they’re definitely doing something with it. Plus it would be smart to do so after the whole Buzzy incident.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They’re clearing the foliage now:

There was a permit back in August that indicated they may be putting a construction access road through that area...

rreading

Maybe you are? Maybe your expectations are lower... Fact is, EPCOT was never completed from it's first released plans...heck they even wrote and distributed a lavish coffee table book about EPCOT which shows plans for the attractions that were "coming" but never built... A boat ride in the UK pavilion, A Rhine River Cruise, a lavish audio animatronic show about Japan (which ended up in Tokyo Disneyland)....then a Kilimanjaro rollercoaster attraction among others The idea was to complete the world showcase with more pavilions and attractions...which has still never happened. They added one new pavilion over the years (Norway) which had an attraction that was later repurposed as FEA.
The Equatorial Africa pavilion was never built but instead is a coca cola refreshment outpost with some drums.
The Wonders Of Life was a latecomer in Future World and was later closed with no replacement. This pavilion housed several attractions.
I am not going to get into the different changes in the park over the years, but each "addition" reduced the scope and scale of what was originally built... So if you never noticed that things changed over the years and there were fewer attractions, shorter rides and no meaningful growth to this world class park, you are easily pleased or not very observant or both.

I respect the fact of your opinion, and do not disagree with your point. However, you do not need to be rude about it.

Many people (definitely including my family) have never felt that Epcot didn't have enough to do. If fact, it's very rare that we are able to do most of the things there (and we almost always intentionally skip Imagination). Now, to be honest, we would never rope drop it and we only visit WDW 1-2x/year so we aren't incessantly experiencing the same things again and again. But between SSE, LwtL, Soarin', M:S, sometimes FEA/The Living Seas/Test Track, and always exploring the nuances of W:S (and none of us drink) we always enjoy Epcot as one of WDW's best experiences.

Sure they may have planned more. But Walt planned it to be a living city and that didn't happen either. Life goes on.

RadiatorSpringsRacer

I get the sense that Disney is going after the Instagram set with this Play! Pavilion. Have you heard of the "Museum of Ice Cream" or the "Museum of 3D Illusions" in San Francisco? These are "museums" of brightly-colored physical sets for people to pose in for photo opportunities. There's really nothing to "do" there other than take pictures of yourself. But these kinds of attractions are popping up all around the world and people are flocking to them.

These "exhibits" are a dream for Disney because they don't require a lot of operations or staffing. Just set the "party" atmosphere with, backgrounds, props, lights, and music and let people take pictures. The Purple Wall was an early test of this concept, and now we see Insta-worthy paint job all around Tomorrowland. The Play! Pavilion would be this but with all the IP. The kiddy stuff (water balloons, etc.) would just serve to keep kids entertained while mom and day snap pics.

The preview in the Odyssey does describe it as "a place to snap and share"...

bshah365

Not sure if it's been talked about on here but this pavillion feels like its basically going to be a cooler version of the Animation building in DCA... basically a big room which acts as a lobby to many different activities/shows. Edna Mode show will clearly be a version of Turtle Talk.

The Grand Inquisitor

Star Wars is Disney's IP, yes? And I guess anything Star Wars themed in the Play pavilion would have to do with the new films, right? So if Finn is there, I'm forgiving Disney for replacing Body Wars.
Ok you do not have to be rude. I highly doubt Star Wars is going to be in the play pavilion. It seems like from everything Disney has released that it will feature animated movies such as The Incredibles and Zootopia.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, October 17, 2019. The trees and landscaping have all been removed now from the hill next to the old festival center.

IMG_2454.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom