News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

hauntology

Literally all of this concept art confuses me because I have no idea what we will end up with. Probably half of this because of the demand for Arendelle Aqua cupcakes for Frozen 4.

How can you interact with a hologram of Ralph (or is that a Meet and Greet...) and then also have to play the Duck water balloon game with what looks like Wii Remotes?

Also the fact there's no ride announced is kind of deeply disappointing. It seems like this pavilion is supposed to be some weird world on the Internet where all the characters from Disney films can hang out, as evidenced by both Judy and Mickey behind the DJ booth?

DoleWhipDrea

It's a shame that many of the self entitled Disneyphiles on here can't understand that many people here may not be as savy as they are or obsess over all the minutia every moment of the day.

Go ahead and ask your questions. The entitled can bristle all they want.

Thank you!

Honestly, besides the clear indicator that the Play Pavilion is going to act as a giant meet and greet coming together with an updated DisneyQuest, the overall presentation of the concept still seems rather...vague. Signage that says WEDWAY and Monorail in the concept art is what has me the most intrigued, and honestly if they’re just meant to be a parks fan nod, why picture it as seemingly an attraction to visit inside of the pavilion? Guests are pictured walking inside the entrance to something there. Is it supposed to be a game guests can play? If anyone has any actual information on what’s going there, I’d love to hear it.

I get the sense from a lot of people that have posted that they really don’t expect much from this new pavilion, and maybe that’s why people aren’t asking all that many questions. It may not be a revival of Cranium Command but I’m still curious as to how this new pavilion will turn out. 🤷‍♀️

Homemade Imagineering

Thank you!

Honestly, besides the clear indicator that the Play Pavilion is going to act as a giant meet and greet coming together with an updated DisneyQuest, the overall presentation of the concept still seems rather...vague. Signage that says WEDWAY and Monorail in the concept art is what has me the most intrigued, and honestly if they’re just meant to be a parks fan nod, why picture it as seemingly an attraction to visit inside of the pavilion? Guests are pictured walking inside the entrance to something there. Is it supposed to be a game guests can play? If anyone has any actual information on what’s going there, I’d love to hear it.

I get the sense from a lot of people that have posted that they really don’t expect much from this new pavilion, and maybe that’s why people aren’t asking all that many questions. It may not be a revival of Cranium Command but I’m still curious as to how this new pavilion will turn out. 🤷‍♀️
Speaking of cranium command, they should really put an audio animatronics inside out show there. It’s perfect, and people have speculated this for years now, and on top of that many of you guys know that Pete doctor worked on both cranium command, and inside out, so they can have him write the show.

Bocabear

I just don't get what it is? A daycare center with Wii controlled games? Disney Quest 2.0? I don't have a clear understanding of what they are creating. With no real ride or major attraction I can't imagine wasting a percentage of my day at a giant video arcade... not for $100.00 admission price.
The pavilion should have been another real ride pavilion which EPCOT is still low on.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I just don't get what it is? A daycare center with Wii controlled games? Disney Quest 2.0? I don't have a clear understanding of what they are creating. With no real ride or major attraction I can't imagine wasting a percentage of my day at a giant video arcade... not for $100.00 admission price.
The pavilion should have been another real ride pavilion which EPCOT is still low on.
In fairness there will be a new real ride opened in each of the next 2 years, and while GoTG is a travesty, I'm sure the masses will love it. I am excited about Rat though.

_caleb

I just don't get what it is? A daycare center with Wii controlled games? Disney Quest 2.0? I don't have a clear understanding of what they are creating. With no real ride or major attraction I can't imagine wasting a percentage of my day at a giant video arcade...

I get the sense that Disney is going after the Instagram set with this Play! Pavilion. Have you heard of the "Museum of Ice Cream" or the "Museum of 3D Illusions" in San Francisco? These are "museums" of brightly-colored physical sets for people to pose in for photo opportunities. There's really nothing to "do" there other than take pictures of yourself. But these kinds of attractions are popping up all around the world and people are flocking to them.

These "exhibits" are a dream for Disney because they don't require a lot of operations or staffing. Just set the "party" atmosphere with, backgrounds, props, lights, and music and let people take pictures. The Purple Wall was an early test of this concept, and now we see Insta-worthy paint job all around Tomorrowland. The Play! Pavilion would be this but with all the IP. The kiddy stuff (water balloons, etc.) would just serve to keep kids entertained while mom and day snap pics.

Bocabear

I get the sense that Disney is going after the Instagram set with this Play! Pavilion. Have you heard of the "Museum of Ice Cream" or the "Museum of 3D Illusions" in San Francisco? These are "museums" of brightly-colored physical sets for people to pose in for photo opportunities. There's really nothing to "do" there other than take pictures of yourself. But these kinds of attractions are popping up all around the world and people are flocking to them.

These "exhibits" are a dream for Disney because they don't require a lot of operations or staffing. Just set the "party" atmosphere with, backgrounds, props, lights, and music and let people take pictures. The Purple Wall was an early test of this concept, and now we see Insta-worthy paint job all around Tomorrowland. The Play! Pavilion would be this but with all the IP. The kiddy stuff (water balloons, etc.) would just serve to keep kids entertained while mom and day snap pics.
That sounds dreadful....and kind of sad considering what this park started out as...lofty dreams of edutainment devolved down to "take Your Picture Here" attractions and booze.

FigmentFan82

That sounds dreadful....and kind of sad considering what this park started out as...lofty dreams of edutainment devolved down to "take Your Picture Here" attractions and booze.
I mean, the times change. What can you do?
I remeber being so excited as a kid to check iout the brand new Innoventions and DisneyQuest. Those were made for me as a kid and it was exciting and fun. Like I said above, as I am now much older, PLAY! doesn't seem like something that's really for me, but as a new father I see the appeal for my daughter.

hauntology

Also those museums are such rip offs. In NYC we have a new pop up "museum" of these every week, in the same city where there is a crazy amount of art to look at and experience in actual institutions. They're pricey: some start at 25 dollars, and peak at almost 50 for entrance, and on the latter end of the spectrum might add in 2 drinks and one food item or something.
Because they're temporary, they don't really need to do upkeep. And photos for advertising are kept intentionally vague of the properties size/amenities so people don't immediately call out the BS.

The way to make this pavilion actually worthwhile is to make it truly interactive, be it with actors behind screens like Turtle Talk with Crush or with some Living Character Initiative (which they stopped...) or have it track what you do on Magic Bands so the city comes alive at you in different ways. I'm assuming there's an element of roleplay here too.

The main problem with this pavilion so far to me is neither the IP, the kid friendliness of it, or its visual aesthetic. My main issue comes with not understanding how they are presenting "play" as in a pavilion that looks like a sci-fi city. EPCOT is probably shying away from edutainment now but I want to know how they value it. I think Play is such a deeply treasured thing for both children and adults, and EPCOT's rides/experiences had the ability to help us value the world around us, both material and abstract (food conservation...sort of?, the ocean's living creatures, where papyrus is from, IMAGINATION AND CREATIVITY...) but this pavilion doesn't seem to be doing that so far?

Bocabear

In fairness there will be a new real ride opened in each of the next 2 years, and while GoTG is a travesty, I'm sure the masses will love it. I am excited about Rat though.
In Fairness the park was low on attractions 20 years ago...In fairness they had to create festival events to bolster attendance for their lack of attractions... In fairness GOTG is a replacement for a ride, and honestly RAT is a replacement for the shuttered Body Wars, so in fairness, we have a net gain of zero attractions....in fairness...

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
In Fairness the park was low on attractions 20 years ago...In fairness they had to create festival events to bolster attendance for their lack of attractions... In fairness GOTG is a replacement for a ride, and honestly RAT is a replacement for the shuttered Body Wars, so in fairness, we have a net gain of zero attractions....in fairness...
A simple “I don’t agree” would have sufficed ...

gustaftp

My ultimate hope is that the Play pavilion is temporary in every sense of the word (not low-quality, though!) and that ultimately a futuristic playground will once again occupy the top floor of a properly re-enegized Imagination pavilion!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
WDW gets criticized for getting rid of a children's play area in DHS and then get's criticized for putting a children's play area in Epcot.

Casper Gutman

WDW gets criticized for getting rid of a children's play area in DHS and then get's criticized for putting a children's play area in Epcot.

Who complained about losing the playground in DHS?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom