News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

po1998

I just don't get what it is? A daycare center with Wii controlled games? Disney Quest 2.0? I don't have a clear understanding of what they are creating. With no real ride or major attraction I can't imagine wasting a percentage of my day at a giant video arcade... not for $100.00 admission price.
The pavilion should have been another real ride pavilion which EPCOT is still low on.
Remember this is the same park where people pay $100 to do nothing more than eat and drink.

I will withhold judgement until it opens, but at the very least there will be something new to occupy the time other than participating in DrunkyVille.

Little Green Men

In Fairness the park was low on attractions 20 years ago...In fairness they had to create festival events to bolster attendance for their lack of attractions... In fairness GOTG is a replacement for a ride, and honestly RAT is a replacement for the shuttered Body Wars, so in fairness, we have a net gain of zero attractions....in fairness...
I’d say Soarin’ replaces Body Wars in ride count since KK/ FR were theater attractions.

Rich Brownn

In Fairness the park was low on attractions 20 years ago...In fairness they had to create festival events to bolster attendance for their lack of attractions... In fairness GOTG is a replacement for a ride, and honestly RAT is a replacement for the shuttered Body Wars, so in fairness, we have a net gain of zero attractions....in fairness...
It wasn't that it was short on attractions, it was designed to have attractions that ran much longer so there wasn't;t as much of a need... as Pointed out between UoE, Horizons and World of Motion that was an hour and 15 minutes of just ride time (not counting lines). Even with GoTG, that has now been reduced to maybe 12 minutes of ride time in the same area.

doctornick

The pavilion should have been another real ride pavilion which EPCOT is still low on.

With Rat and hopefully Poppins, at least the net number is heading in the right direction (though I agree with the concern about the total length of ride time in the park). And the Body Wars show building seems like it will remain intact but unused, right? Hopefully that means that it will still potentially be an option for a future ride if/when the powers that be want to put one there.

Kate F

WDW gets criticized for getting rid of a children's play area in DHS and then get's criticized for putting a children's play area in Epcot.

I imagine it’s because people don’t like that Epcot is becoming more fixated on kids.

Steph15251

I imagine it’s because people don’t like that Epcot is becoming more fixated on kids.
Maybe but not sure I see it that way ,innovations was imo very much for kids and they are getting rid of that so it makes sense to add new stuff for kids in the park.When I went to Epcot in 1990 I found EPCOT very family friendly.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

...more family...

And it'd have to be to alleviate the MK overcrowding problem unless folk want to see the ticket prices keep increasing as the answer to that problem.

Rat and Mary Poppins and a family coaster and a revamped Green M:S... it's a start.

Bocabear

...more family...

And it'd have to be to alleviate the MK overcrowding problem unless folk want to see the ticket prices keep increasing as the answer to that problem.

Rat and Mary Poppins and a family coaster and a revamped Green M:S... it's a start.
Who are you kidding? The ticket prices are going to continue to climb whether there are family attractions added or not... They will continue to climb every year until they hit a tipping point... EPCOT, DHS, and AK were all built and opened without being fully complete (DHS was probably the worst offender)... With the rising prices every year, they really need to finish these parks as they were intended... Stop replacing attractions and just add...

Steph15251

Who are you kidding? The ticket prices are going to continue to climb whether there are family attractions added or not... They will continue to climb every year until they hit a tipping point... EPCOT, DHS, and AK were all built and opened without being fully complete (DHS was probably the worst offender)... With the rising prices every year, they really need to finish these parks as they were intended... Stop replacing attractions and just add...
I maybe the only one ,that thinks this but I never thought Epcot was incomplete,not everything needs to be a ride . And they are adding stuff to Epcot Rat is not replacing anything and MP as far as I know is not replacing anything.Disney is not the only park that closes down attractions and replace them with other attractions pretty much all theme parks do.

CalebS

I maybe the only one ,that thinks this but I never thought Epcot was incomplete,not everything needs to be a ride . And they are adding stuff to Epcot Rat is not replacing anything and MP as far as I know is not replacing anything.Disney is not the only park that closes down attractions and replace them with other attractions pretty much all theme parks do.
There is a difference though.
1. Most theme park don’t have nearly as much extra space to use for attractions as Disney does.
2. Most theme parks don’t make nearly as much money as Disney does.
3. Most theme parks aren’t nearly as crowded as Disney is.
I do agree old Epcot was much more complete than the current one.

Bocabear

Maybe you are? Maybe your expectations are lower... Fact is, EPCOT was never completed from it's first released plans...heck they even wrote and distributed a lavish coffee table book about EPCOT which shows plans for the attractions that were "coming" but never built... A boat ride in the UK pavilion, A Rhine River Cruise, a lavish audio animatronic show about Japan (which ended up in Tokyo Disneyland)....then a Kilimanjaro rollercoaster attraction among others The idea was to complete the world showcase with more pavilions and attractions...which has still never happened. They added one new pavilion over the years (Norway) which had an attraction that was later repurposed as FEA.
The Equatorial Africa pavilion was never built but instead is a coca cola refreshment outpost with some drums.
The Wonders Of Life was a latecomer in Future World and was later closed with no replacement. This pavilion housed several attractions.
I am not going to get into the different changes in the park over the years, but each "addition" reduced the scope and scale of what was originally built... So if you never noticed that things changed over the years and there were fewer attractions, shorter rides and no meaningful growth to this world class park, you are easily pleased or not very observant or both.

Steph15251

Maybe you are? Maybe your expectations are lower... Fact is, EPCOT was never completed from it's first released plans...heck they even wrote and distributed a lavish coffee table book about EPCOT which shows plans for the attractions that were "coming" but never built... A boat ride in the UK pavilion, A Rhine River Cruise, a lavish audio animatronic show about Japan (which ended up in Tokyo Disneyland)....then a Kilimanjaro rollercoaster attraction among others The idea was to complete the world showcase with more pavilions and attractions...which has still never happened. They added one new pavilion over the years (Norway) which had an attraction that was later repurposed as FEA.
The Equatorial Africa pavilion was never built but instead is a coca cola refreshment outpost with some drums.
The Wonders Of Life was a latecomer in Future World and was later closed with no replacement. This pavilion housed several attractions.
I am not going to get into the different changes in the park over the years, but each "addition" reduced the scope and scale of what was originally built... So if you never noticed that things changed over the years and there were fewer attractions, shorter rides and no meaningful growth to this world class park, you are easily pleased or not very observant or both.
Everyone has their own opinion.By the way I do know what was in Wonders of life and I never liked body wars.While what is replacing it may not please some at least they are finally putting something in it.My fav ride in Epcot was horzions and I learned to live with the fact that is never comming back.Yes I do agree that Japan etc need attractions in world showcase but at least right now they are adding Rat and MP for me it is something.

DreamfinderGuy

So, it looks like very clear work is happening behind the CC showbuilding. I've heard rumors that the original theatre doors are getting sealed shut a la Body Wars. Can anyone confirm similar rumblings? I'd imagine with all the current exploring debacles they'd make their best attempt to make it inaccessible to anyone other than someone who should be in there. Then again I've also heard people here say they're not touching the back parts whatsoever, so what do I know?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom