News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think anyone with a brain expects that.

I'm hopeful the "test fit" PR pictures are actually test fits and that the final product is flush. If it isn't, it'll add even more to the whole "what is wrong with WDI" that's been going on for a bit.
I'm thinking they may be having a problem with heat output on the fixture to get the intensity that they need. The body needs to be in open air to dissipate the heat, meaning its a no-go to be flush.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
8ABE0D71-D1D5-4E98-83FF-5C556CFD025A.jpeg

trainplane3

I'm thinking they may be having a problem with heat output on the fixture to get the intensity that they need. The body needs to be in open air to dissipate the heat, meaning its a no-go to be flush.
But the panels aren't watertight. I'd think there would be plenty of airflow through them for that to not be a concern. That along with metal housings, that should be enough to dissipate heat. I'm not a professional though.

The only reason I'm questioning things so much is because of the recent things WDI have deemed acceptable.

Can you put that on Instagram? They might see it then.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry for being that guy, but, the pictures we have are telephoto. So, it's not unusual for the additions to stick out when magnified. I can go all around the parks with a telephoto lens that takes pictures of infrastructure details that are ordinarily unnoticed but now look enormous.

Hopefully, being white/silvery, they won't stick out from the normal viewing distance with human eyes.

Being placed in each 'indent' of the dome, they shouldn't make a visible bump in outline. They rest below the average surface of the orb.

Could it wind up being noticeably distracting? Sure.

Do the pictures we have show that? No. Telephoto lens is not the in-person reality unless you look exclusively through binoculars when in the park.

Fear

Given that we don't see the light installed staying put on its own (there's a hand on it at all times) I think we're jumping a gun a bit. In the far shot it looks like it can be pushed in quite a bit, not sticking out like a brad.

edit: furthermore it looks to me that this was just simply a "hold that there for a second". Install may involve removing the nexus points first, but they're not going to do that until installation begins in earnest.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sorry for being that guy, but, the pictures we have are telephoto. So, it's not unusual for the additions to stick out when magnified. I can go all around the parks with a telephoto lens that takes pictures of infrastructure details that are ordinarily unnoticed but now look enormous.

Hopefully, being white/silvery, they won't stick out from the normal viewing distance with human eyes.

Being placed in each 'indent' of the dome, they shouldn't make a visible bump in outline. They rest below the average surface of the orb.

Could it wind up being noticeably distracting? Sure.

Do the pictures we have show that? No. Telephoto lens is not the in-person reality unless you look exclusively through binoculars when in the park.
I’m sure you’re right and everything will be fine.

Brenthodge

But the panels aren't watertight. I'd think there would be plenty of airflow through them for that to not be a concern. That along with metal housings, that should be enough to dissipate heat. I'm not a professional though.

The only reason I'm questioning things so much is because of the recent things WDI have deemed acceptable.

Can you put that on Instagram? They might see it then.

View attachment 540267
I don't even think it is secured. I think she is just holding it there so I wouldn't be surpsied if it goes further in.
I don't think they will be recessed as I think the "dots"around the outer housing are LEDs to provide the color washes by shining outward on the panels. The "puck" in the middle will be the visible light. If you loo closely, the openings around the outside line up with the "concave" areas where the alcubond panels meet and recess. That would create an area that - when aligned with the fixture at the next point, would wash those panels with light from both directions creating an even spread of light.

SMRT-1Michael

I know this is Just concept art, but... I see palm trees View attachment 539478
I have been wondering this as well since they announced this project... considering the 3 uneven, seen-better-days trees are still there at the bases. We lost one of them to Hurricane Irma and it was never replaced so we've got 1 on the left and 2 on the right... Was hoping palms of any sort would come back as the finishing touch to the entrance project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom