News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ya, know... If they asked these composers to write new, original music that is: aspirational, majestic, a fusion of orchestra and modern instrumentation, reflective of grand themes of earth, the seas, and human endeavor...

We woulda gotten the same music.

Because that's what these composers were going for in the first place.

What were people expecting? A hundred variations of "One Little Spark"?

flyakite

Sorry, one more personal opinion... listening to playlist on Spotify. I think it is lovely. Nothing offensive. It still speaks to me in a hopeful, open way. Let’s hope newbies who walk into this park for the first time, maybe not being exposed to this type of music before (those without access to classical, contemporary orchestral music) may be inspired. Let’s keep modern orchestral music accessible regardless of its origin. I am off my soapbox now. Have a wonderful evening to all of the Epcot enthusiasts! 🤟

techgeek

Ya, know... If they asked these composers to write new, original music that is: aspirational, majestic, a fusion of orchestra and modern instrumentation, reflective of grand themes of earth, the seas, and human endeavor...

I know you’re just stirring the pot, but I’ll jump in...

How much of the original entrance loop was from industry music library albums? I’m not going to knock this playlist specifically, I’ve been listening to half these composers for years and it’s good stuff... Some I would have picked myself... but there’s a tangible difference between music library and bespoke.

The once cohesive soundscape of Future World has devolved into a jumbled mess, and maybe it has become impossible to bring the musical themes of GotG, Nemo, Soarin, Spark, Tron Track, and Mission:Simulation together... but that’s a symptom of the greater problem, and fracturing the entry experience away from everything else in the park just serves to further remove the entrance from the rest of the Epcot experience.

.... on second thought, ok, maybe that’s for the best, considering...

180º

How much of the original entrance loop was from industry music library albums? I’m not going to knock this playlist specifically, I’ve been listening to half these composers for years and it’s good stuff... Some I would have picked myself... but there’s a tangible difference between music library and bespoke.

The once cohesive soundscape of Future World has devolved into a jumbled mess, and maybe it has become impossible to bring the musical themes of GotG, Nemo, Soarin, Spark, Tron Track, and Mission:Simulation together... but that’s a symptom of the greater problem, and fracturing the entry experience away from everything else in the park just serves to further remove the entrance from the rest of the Epcot experience.

I agree that bespoke made a difference. I’d go further to say that it worked with what was in fact a varied landscape of musical styles in the past and there’s no reason it couldn’t work with the current Epcot. The Land (rural American folk music) and the Living Seas (moody, atmospheric synth orchestra) couldn’t have been more different in their musical styles and yet they were right next door to each other. One of the old Innoventions or Communicore loops adapted all to a uniform, more broadly-EPCOT style that worked great for its location while reprising themes you’d heard before that day. The loop often credited to “Tomorrowland 2055” also managed to unify the Epcot songbook in one style, and many of those tracks were put to brilliant use in the entrance plaza up until this new one just came out.

montyz81

That is what I was trying to say before. I am of the mind, that music composed for a specific place and feeling is much better than trying to fit music already composed into a specific place or feeling.

TTA94

I wonder if the SE projections will have different music? Or if it’s even going to be a show or rather just projections they turn on at night.

castlecake2.0

I know this is Just concept art, but... I see palm trees
9386DF2C-69F4-4428-B2C2-6040A58150EA.jpeg

wedenterprises

Agreed.

My favourite background music loops from WDW are full of pre-existing music.

Also Disney revealed an original composition for Epcot at D23 and I remember it being just as divisive.

DCBaker

Premium Member
IMG_0567.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg

"A few weeks ago we shared our exciting plans for new Spaceship Earth lighting debuting Oct. 1, 2021 as a Beacon of Magic during the 50th anniversary celebration @WaltDisneyWorld. Today I’m excited to give you a first look at one of the points of light, as overnight our team test fit the very first of these fixtures before we start installing at the top and working our way down! Our team at Imagineering has been hard at work innovating the design and technology for this poetic and inspirational lighting concept. And we’ve had to get quite ingenious in how we go about installing these new fixtures and all the high-tech systems so that they seamlessly integrate with the iconic profile of Spaceship Earth. There is a lot more work ahead as we continue installation and ready for testing, but I couldn’t wait to share with you that we’ve begun.

Continue to follow along here as we share more of our progress and the way our team developed and engineered this concept into being."

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
View attachment 540239View attachment 540240

"A few weeks ago we shared our exciting plans for new Spaceship Earth lighting debuting Oct. 1, 2021 as a Beacon of Magic during the 50th anniversary celebration @WaltDisneyWorld. Today I’m excited to give you a first look at one of the points of light, as overnight our team test fit the very first of these fixtures before we start installing at the top and working our way down! Our team at Imagineering has been hard at work innovating the design and technology for this poetic and inspirational lighting concept. And we’ve had to get quite ingenious in how we go about installing these new fixtures and all the high-tech systems so that they seamlessly integrate with the iconic profile of Spaceship Earth. There is a lot more work ahead as we continue installation and ready for testing, but I couldn’t wait to share with you that we’ve begun.

Continue to follow along here as we share more of our progress and the way our team developed and engineered this concept into being."

“Seamlessly”?

The poor kid keeps on trying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom