News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

TTA94

I love this idea but I do wonder why they are doing this instead of fixing the underlying roof membrane that has apparently been leaking for years. It is over 30 years old at this point after all. It just seems like a weird thing to do.

Yeah they should have replaced it and installed the lighting at the same time.

Brenthodge

Well...these are very small light fixtures that will not mar the look of the geosphere...they will fairly disappear when nor in use...unlike the Millennium Wand and EPCOT sign... This is a great upgrade that I have been surprised they did not do years ago...The tech is not that new.
Agree. People need to pick the battles they go to the hill on.

SpectroMagician

That looks absolutely terrible. It looks like a $5 tap light from that infomercial.

LEDs are much smaller, there is no reason they should not design one that slides nicely INTO the vertices and does not stick out.

Brenthodge

That looks absolutely terrible. It looks like a $5 tap light from that infomercial.

LEDs are much smaller, there is no reason they should not design one that slides nicely INTO the vertices and does not stick out.
There may be a REASON they stick out. I really think it was a bad call on their part to post such a close up picture of something you will never see this close, without an ideas as to what the things are on the side, when they should’ve waited and posted a video clip or “real view” picture of them working as intended. By posting what they did they are just asking for criticism by seeking praise!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
There may be a REASON they stick out. I really think it was a bad call on their part to post such a close up picture of something you will never see this close, without an ideas as to what the things are on the side, when they should’ve waited and posted a video clip or “real view” picture of them working as intended. By posting what they did they are just asking for criticism by seeking praise!

This confirms they need to protrude to light onto the surface of Spaceship Earth. Its multiple lights in one enclosure.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Assuming they are LEDs, that won’t happen for a long time.
Its never the actual LED, but it is always the controller, or power supply, or some other component. That is why you see LED light bulb manufacturers talking about 35 year life span but only warranty for 1 to 5 years. They know they aren't going to go for 35.

But in the case of Spaceship Earth, I am guessing they are expecting a fairly good life span, and in the vent of a failure, it is going to be a case of getting out the boom lift and repeating the install process. With the right gear it isn't that hard,

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Its never the actual LED, but it is always the controller, or power supply, or some other component. That is why you see LED light bulb manufacturers talking about 35 year life span but only warranty for 1 to 5 years. They know they aren't going to go for 35.

But in the case of Spaceship Earth, I am guessing they are expecting a fairly good life span, and in the vent of a failure, it is going to be a case of getting out the boom lift and repeating the install process. With the right gear it isn't that hard,
This^^^

I switched to LEDs early on to replace a number of halogen GU10 lights in my kitchen and bathrooms. I have yet to lose a single LED, but the drivers on the early models only lasted 2-3 years at best. I had several that never made it to the 1-year mark.

This has improved over the years and I would like to think that the mouse sourced good components for these lights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom