News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't think they will be recessed as I think the "dots"around the outer housing are LEDs to provide the color washes by shining outward on the panels. The "puck" in the middle will be the visible light. If you loo closely, the openings around the outside line up with the "concave" areas where the alcubond panels meet and recess. That would create an area that - when aligned with the fixture at the next point, would wash those panels with light from both directions creating an even spread of light.
Interesting, and yes, it does like there could well be multiple light sources in these, which would explain the need to have it protrude outward.

Brenthodge

Interesting, and yes, it does like there could well be multiple light sources in these, which would explain the need to have it protrude outward.
Look at the PR video - there are washes of color all over the surface that have to be coming from somewhere - I believe these will be programed as a matrix to "project" light across the surface out of the sides of these fixtures while the outward facing light twinkles in a range of colors to complement. I just think it would be MUCH better to hold off until the total effect is ready. If the didi this right - at night - very few would probably even notice these until the whole effect was ready. Its like they cant wait to blow their horn all over the internet about how "imaginative" they are for putting up one fixture. Just show us how imaginative you are when it works as fully intended.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Indeed, something like this (only I hope much prettier)...

1616016457657.png

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
View attachment 540239View attachment 540240

"A few weeks ago we shared our exciting plans for new Spaceship Earth lighting debuting Oct. 1, 2021 as a Beacon of Magic during the 50th anniversary celebration @WaltDisneyWorld. Today I’m excited to give you a first look at one of the points of light, as overnight our team test fit the very first of these fixtures before we start installing at the top and working our way down! Our team at Imagineering has been hard at work innovating the design and technology for this poetic and inspirational lighting concept. And we’ve had to get quite ingenious in how we go about installing these new fixtures and all the high-tech systems so that they seamlessly integrate with the iconic profile of Spaceship Earth. There is a lot more work ahead as we continue installation and ready for testing, but I couldn’t wait to share with you that we’ve begun.

Continue to follow along here as we share more of our progress and the way our team developed and engineered this concept into being."

On a top 10 list of things nobody asked for...... At the expense of other planned things...

Sir_Cliff

Sorry for being that guy, but, the pictures we have are telephoto. So, it's not unusual for the additions to stick out when magnified. I can go all around the parks with a telephoto lens that takes pictures of infrastructure details that are ordinarily unnoticed but now look enormous.

Hopefully, being white/silvery, they won't stick out from the normal viewing distance with human eyes.

Being placed in each 'indent' of the dome, they shouldn't make a visible bump in outline. They rest below the average surface of the orb.

Could it wind up being noticeably distracting? Sure.

Do the pictures we have show that? No. Telephoto lens is not the in-person reality unless you look exclusively through binoculars when in the park.
You may well be right, but that's why I'm a little surprised he didn't wait to have a picture from ground level demonstrating how well they blend given he knows the first thing we'll all do is complain about them ruining SSE. He asserts they seamlessly integrate into SSE, but the pictures he posted don't show that.

Skywise

How are these things going to be powered? I somehow doubt there's a powerline going to all the crevices from the inside - are they running cables all around? Are the lights solar powered?

Horizons1

Sorry for being that guy, but, the pictures we have are telephoto. So, it's not unusual for the additions to stick out when magnified. I can go all around the parks with a telephoto lens that takes pictures of infrastructure details that are ordinarily unnoticed but now look enormous.

Hopefully, being white/silvery, they won't stick out from the normal viewing distance with human eyes.

Being placed in each 'indent' of the dome, they shouldn't make a visible bump in outline. They rest below the average surface of the orb.

Could it wind up being noticeably distracting? Sure.

Do the pictures we have show that? No. Telephoto lens is not the in-person reality unless you look exclusively through binoculars when in the park.
This is telephoto. The barges in the lagoon are telephoto. The mammoth box over energy’s corpse which ruins sight lines is telephoto. I’m going to guess the demolition of the central plaza is telephoto, right?! Anything Disney does to this park that looks bad, according to you, is telephoto. It’s all magically wonderful stuff guys, just remember it’s telephoto! I love this excuse and I expect it every time. 😂

This imagineer who’s posting these knows where his paycheck comes from. He’s not going to acknowledge design flaws and poor choices. But with all of the poor design choices they’ve made so far with EPCOT today, really what difference does this make?

They left the wand up for how long? These lights can’t be anymore assaulting to the eyes than that glittery billboard. Poorly designed and egotistically driven. It’s the new Disney method of design!

Disney Analyst

I kind of thought the holes on side would be used for securing the lights to whatever they slide on to.

I assumed they would place something between the slats, light fixtures get wired into that and slid over, and they screw in with the holes all around the light.

I guess we stay tuned for more.

roj2323

I love this idea but I do wonder why they are doing this instead of fixing the underlying roof membrane that has apparently been leaking for years. It is over 30 years old at this point after all. It just seems like a weird thing to do.

montyz81

View attachment 540239View attachment 540240

"A few weeks ago we shared our exciting plans for new Spaceship Earth lighting debuting Oct. 1, 2021 as a Beacon of Magic during the 50th anniversary celebration @WaltDisneyWorld. Today I’m excited to give you a first look at one of the points of light, as overnight our team test fit the very first of these fixtures before we start installing at the top and working our way down! Our team at Imagineering has been hard at work innovating the design and technology for this poetic and inspirational lighting concept. And we’ve had to get quite ingenious in how we go about installing these new fixtures and all the high-tech systems so that they seamlessly integrate with the iconic profile of Spaceship Earth. There is a lot more work ahead as we continue installation and ready for testing, but I couldn’t wait to share with you that we’ve begun.

Continue to follow along here as we share more of our progress and the way our team developed and engineered this concept into being."

The Wand all over again. Can’t they just leave well enough alone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom