News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I feel like they are intentionally doing this. It's a widely used architectural technique to compress space so that the space you're presented with after moving through it feels larger and even more grand. Frank Lloyd Wright is famous for it, referring to it as compression and release.

"By creating a deliberately small space through which one must pass before reaching a larger space, he caused a temporary sense of tension, followed by the feeling of freedom."
View Source

Not that SSE needs any help to feel grand :)
What are you talking about? Those new walls change nothing about the entrance width.

markham

What are you talking about? Those new walls change nothing about the entrance width.
Yes, I'm aware of that but I could have been clearer I guess. I wasn't saying anything about physically changing the entrance width. I'm talking about creating a visual barrier that is intentionally contained (making a previous poster say the photos brought on a feeling of claustrophobia), before opening up to the entry plaza beyond. Even the aspect ratio of the individual panels being quite slim relative to their height reinforces the feeling of containment these walls produce. But...just going off of the photos. Haven't seen myself.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Yes, I'm aware of that but I could have been clearer I guess. I wasn't saying anything about physically changing the entrance width. I'm talking about creating a visual barrier that is intentionally contained (making a previous poster say the photos brought on a feeling of claustrophobia), before opening up to the entry plaza beyond. Even the aspect ratio of the individual panels being quite slim relative to their height reinforces the feeling of containment these walls produce. But...just going off of the photos. Haven't seen myself.
Those that are installed are inside the secure zone so you would only walk past them on the busiest days of the year when they use the east lots. Most days of the year nobody would even be over there except on purpose.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can someone who knows where the walls are draw where they are on an overhead map? Here's a blank...

1612985920663.png

Mike730

Can someone who knows where the walls are draw where they are on an overhead map? Here's a blank...

View attachment 531013
1612985920663.png

Start at panel 1 and follow the arrows to get to panel 284.

This does not appear to be all the panels. I looked up John Smith on the tile finder and the last John is on panel 446. They are probably doing something similar at the west exit.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
View attachment 531016
Start at panel 1 and follow the arrows to get to panel 284.

This does not appear to be all the panels. I looked up John Smith on the tile finder and the last John is on panel 446. They are probably doing something similar at the west exit.
There is more to come, going here.

Mike730

Sir_Cliff

Reminds me of the Vietnam Wall. Much like the fountain spot lights by SSE aimed upward reminds me of the World Trade Center memorial.

View attachment 531015
I'm very glad I'm not the only person whose mind immediately went to the Vietnam War memorial! Tempting to leave flowers on the way past, though I suspect the vase would be confiscated by security.

That said, I don't mind the new Leave A Legacy wall and it's certainly a lot nicer than the hideous monoliths.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Yep there rest are here and possibly more that that.
Leave-a-Legacy_Full_40622.jpg
Seeing where they are located now based on the overhead shot, now I wish the wife and I were a higher pannel number than 71. Would have been nice to walk by ourselves while going to the bus. Now we will just walk across the plaza to show the kids our pics from our Honeymoon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom