New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Ag11gani

A literally watered down version of World of Color in DCA, with awful african or indian music to accompany it.

Okay so Rivers of Light, most likely will not be the best nighttime show ever, but where do you get the WoC aspect from it, the fountains? Because just because a show has fountains and projections does not make it a show to be compared to WoC? Does WoC have 4 animal latern barges, 2 shaman boats, 4 dancing lotus barges anda centrepiece lotus. ( and possibly the 100 floating laterns down the line) No, it doesn't.

I'd say you could compare it to Fantasmic, expect no fireworks or IP.

Magic Feather

Rivers of Light is going to be crap. If anyone actually thinks it's going to be a all around entertaining show, you are mistaken. It's going to be exactly how the last show that was there in the summer (Jungle Book Alive with Magic). A literally watered down version of World of Color in DCA, with awful african or indian music to accompany it. This really sucks that im saying bad things about a show that Disney is putting on. Because I really like all their shows. Fantasmic, Festival of the Lion King, and even that Star Wars show they have in front of the Great Movie Ride.
By no means. It will be better than that ____ show of Jungle Book. By no means will it be a watered down (I see what you did there) version of WoC. Admittedly this show does have a few flaws. There are a multitude of fixes, and at this point, a whole new show is unlikely. Even without some shanges, I will tell you that (IMO, and I am just one person basing this on what I have seen) RoL in its current state is better then JBJB and SW:AGS.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Rivers of Light is going to be crap. If anyone actually thinks it's going to be a all around entertaining show, you are mistaken. It's going to be exactly how the last show that was there in the summer (Jungle Book Alive with Magic). A literally watered down version of World of Color in DCA, with awful african or indian music to accompany it. This really sucks that im saying bad things about a show that Disney is putting on. Because I really like all their shows. Fantasmic, Festival of the Lion King, and even that Star Wars show they have in front of the Great Movie Ride.
Perhaps wait until you see it.

From someone who has seen it
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...v2016-rivers-of-light---first-impressions.htm

wdwfan22

I don't think River of Light will be as bad as Jungle Book Alive With Magic was, however I don't think it will be up to par with the other nighttime spectaculars.

DDLand

Kids do want adventure etc, they do not need, and shouldn't be provided with a life filled of animated characters. I am in complete agreement with you there. My point has been that now kids experience that kind of stuff on a regular basis in today's world. It is more difficult to "wow" kids today than it was 50,30, or even 20 years ago. Disney characters integrated into a park are something that they can not experience anywhere else.
I mentioned the street shows in the Africa section of AK..they are wonderful, and they are void of character reference...I'm not saying everything needs a character to be good, but characters do have a huge place in the parks, and I don't think it dumbs them down whatsoever.
You fundamentally do not understand Disney's Animal Kingdom. You're missing the themes. We first need to establish something basic.

Theme is the underlying value system a story is built on. A theme may be something like "with hard work and perseverance, you can succeed." Or "with patience you'll find what you desire." An excellent and clear example of theme in a theme park attraction is in Splash Mountain. The theme of valuing home and family is clearly on display there. If you think about your favorite stories, you'll find themes in every one. Some are meaningful and impactful, others are frivolous. Depends what the storyteller is trying to do.

This compares with setting or place. The setting of Africa is used in Disney's Animal Kingdom. Africa is not the theme. Try to tell me what underlying values come from an East African town and you'll be left scratching your head. Those buildings are there not only to draw admiration and immerse guests, but to further the Disney's Animal Kingdom story along.

Animal Kingdom's themes are not Harambe, the Himalayas, or the Dino Institute. Those are settings and places. The primary themes set out before the park was built are threefold:

1) The inherent value of nature. When you compare monetary gain or other reasons to destroy nature next to the inherent value of nature, nature should win out.
2) That there is value and growth in adventure. The wildness of nature and human nature combining together will breed adventure. There is a fundamental belief that the adventures you go on can help a guest learn and grow.
3) A respect and awe for nature. That nature is powerful and unpredictable.

Those are the themes of Animal Kingdom. Try to tell me you can get those themes from Siri and Wikipedia. That's why animated films in Rivers of Light make absolutely no sense.

For example, what would happen if Zootopia was put in Rivers of Light? Does it reinforce those themes?

The answer is a clear negative.

Disney has trained millions of guests to not place any meaning in theme. Setting and synergy over any fundamental value.

Such a shame.

Disneyhead'71

Really?! Pirates was always one of my faves as a child, before Jack Sparrow, and I actually preferred the Pirates of the Caribbean of my youth to the current one..although I don't know if that's just the nostalgia factor talking.

I do think the whole Jack emphasis is great now and really adds to Adventurland in a wonderful way.
Placing oneself in the mind of a child, which would people prefer?
To become a "real pirate apprentice" deemed so by a character they know and love, or that same show, interaction, and experience with pirates whom the children have no personal attachment to?
Why on earth would you place yourself in the mind of a child?

Disneyhead'71

I'm really starting to believe that a good portion of people on this site would like to see all children removed from Disney World.
Adults love WDW because it brings out the child in us...it reminds us and places us back to the innocence of our youth.

WDW has never, ever, never been a place that did not cater to children. I've given plenty of examples of educational and fun experiences that exist all over the US..you just gave examples as well .. WDW must be different than any of these places. Why else would people spend so much money visiting?
I can get better accommodations and better food, along with plenty of wonderful Animal, marine life, or educational experiences, for the same or less money elsewhere. Children like Disney characters, plenty of adults still like Disney characters.
For it's first decade, WDW catered exclusively to white male fathers that wanted to provide a safe, entertaining vacation for their families. It was like an episode of Mad Men with a theme park chaser.

mikeh

Omg you guys...this is my first post on this board. I've been lurking on this thread every day for 9 months following the progress of RoL. Our very first trip to Disney ever is next month, and our first day is planned at AK for 1/21. If that will truly be the opening night I will lose my schmidt.

Don't get too excited. Still unconfirmed

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom