New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

SorcererMC

The primary themes set out before the park was built are threefold:

1) The inherent value of nature. When you compare monetary gain or other reasons to destroy nature next to the inherent value of nature, nature should win out.
2) That there is value and growth in adventure. The wildness of nature and human nature combining together will breed adventure. There is a fundamental belief that the adventures you go on can help a guest learn and grow.
3) A respect and awe for nature. That nature is powerful and unpredictable.

Quote for emphasis.
I could probably guarantee you that the average park-goer would not be able to articulate those themes, aside from a general message about nature, place (unique experiences that are geographically dependent), conservation and/or #3 (which is fairly obvious?). I don't fault Disney entirely for that, as I think in general people a) don't think deeply about man/humanity and his relationship to nature, or b) they aren't willing to slow down long enough to take it in...all the more reason why AK is 'necessary' IMO. I think that the challenge for Disney is to communicate those themes as universal values without preaching about it...allowing nature itself, and how the imagineers have arranged the construct, to invoke the emotional experience.

So I could see how the lack of an explicit narrative for RoL might be seen as a problem; I presume that the average person knows next to nothing about shamanism (and/or its role and influence on myth/story, ritual, and artistic expression - let alone across various cultures). (Not because people are stupid, rather, due to the lack of interest or exposure to such ideas; it's a foreign concept).

But a great show could drive those themes home and inspire them to learn more.....

(Sorry if too cynical, condescending, or on-topic ;):))

toolsnspools

Omg you guys...this is my first post on this board. I've been lurking on this thread every day for 9 months following the progress of RoL. Our very first trip to Disney ever is next month, and our first day is planned at AK for 1/21. If that will truly be the opening night I will lose my schmidt.
You'll beat me there by 2 days, so I'm hoping your schmidt is lost before I get there. o_O

Nubs70

Starring "The Rock"? Or the original? Or both?!? Haha!

We could keep naming Disney live action from the '70s all night. But context is everything. The '70s were an alternate reality where a John Denver Christmas Special was an instant "classic" that they played for years.

(I still think John Denver was an amazing talent. I miss him and the America of those days).
Amazing talent... less so at interpreting instrumentation.

21stamps

If all you expect from a Disney Parks experience is a collection of best of moments from film and television, the bar is incredibly low. Crossing off a list of your favorite characters after visiting each one's ride. That's it.

This explains why so many individuals have such diametrically opposed view points on this. Many people (myself included) view Disney Parks not as the place where your favorite characters come alive, but as their own stories equal to (or even more impressive) than a movie or tv show. When you say that more Disney characters should be in a park, ask yourself a different question. Would you suggest a fix for a movie like John Carter is Disney Characters? That the movie would have worked if there was a short sequence with Anna and Elsa, but because of its originality it didn't work.

No. That sounds ridiculous. Apart from the fact John Carter technically became a "Disney Character" and a "Disney Story," it wouldn't have made any sense whatsoever. That's the same way you should view a cohesive theme park. Those are Disney Story's and everything from pirates in PotC to the newsie on Spaceship Earth are Disney characters.

That's why, among other reasons, adding Simba to RoLs makes little sense in a theme park.
Never said that Disney characters should be in RoL...definitely didn't suggest it. I said that I'm neutral.
I didn't address your original comment to me because it had nothing to do with anything that I've said either.
I think people are choosing to go off on tangents outside of what was actually being discussed.

Last edited:

DDLand

Quote for emphasis.
I could probably guarantee you that the average park-goer would not be able to articulate those themes, aside from a general message about nature, place (unique experiences that are geographically dependent), conservation and/or #3 (which is fairly obvious?). I don't fault Disney entirely for that, as I think in general people a) don't think deeply about man/humanity and his relationship to nature, or b) they aren't willing to slow down long enough to take it in...all the more reason why AK is 'necessary' IMO. I think that the challenge for Disney is to communicate those themes as universal values without preaching about it...allowing nature itself, and how the imagineers have arranged the construct, to invoke the emotional experience.

So I could see how the lack of an explicit narrative for RoL might be seen as a problem; I presume that the average person knows next to nothing about shamanism (and/or its role and influence on myth/story, ritual, and artistic expression - let alone across various cultures). (Not because people are stupid, rather, due to the lack of interest or exposure to such ideas; it's a foreign concept).

But a great show could drive those themes home and inspire them to learn more.....

(Sorry if too cynical, condescending, or on-topic ;):))
You're quite correct that most couldn't articulate those themes so compactly and neatly.

However, I wouldn't discount a guest's ability to pick up on these undercurrents. What does a thoughtful observer of Disney's Animal Kingdom take away from a day at the park?

1) Hopefully a greater respect and love for nature and animals.

2) That nature is unpredictable and wild. It's untamable and they themselves got a taste of just how wild it can be in Everest, Safaris, Rapids, and Dinosaur.

3) That we have a shared responsibility to protect the planet.

They may seem abstract, but they're scattered throughout the park. I agree that some totally ignore or miss the message, but the good design (and that's what it boils down to) does leave a lasting impression.

Haha Some of the analysis that people do on these parks do sound a bit condescending, but those themes and ideas and debates are very valid. ;) Though isn't it fascinating we can have a meaningful discussion on values and themes relating to a physical place or collection of buildings? That's why Parks like Animal Kingdom are so special. It's every bit as valid a piece of art as a movie or book.

Update: More clear that I was talking broadly and not specifically about @SorcererMC in the last paragraph. Pardon me if it came across as a personal jab, not at all what I was intending.

Last edited:

cjkeating

A show using the same theater, with the same floats. Only possibly with like on different float because this float has a pink flamingo on it. You're right, I'm sorry. They're completely different shows. Im guessing Space Mountain and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster aren't the same thing because one has Aerosmith and the other doesn't

Errr... nothing you have seen on the water from JB:AWM will be used in Rivers of Light.
Space Mountain and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster are certainly not the same.

SorcererMC

You're quite correct that most couldn't articulate those themes so compactly and neatly.

However, I wouldn't discount a guest's ability to pick up on these undercurrents. What does a thoughtful observer of Disney's Animal Kingdom take away from a day at the park?

1) Hopefully a greater respect and love for nature and animals.

2) That nature is unpredictable and wild. It's untamable and they themselves got a taste of just how wild it can be in Everest, Safaris, Rapids, and Dinosaur.

3) That we have a shared responsibility to protect the planet.

They may seem abstract, but they're scattered throughout the park. I agree that some totally ignore or miss the message, but the good design (and that's what it boils down to) does leave a lasting impression.

Haha It does sound a bit condescending, but those themes and ideas and debates are very valid. ;) Though isn't it fascinating we can have a meaningful discussion on values and themes relating to a physical place or collection of buildings? That's why Parks like Animal Kingdom are so special. It's every bit as valid a piece of art as a movie or book.

Yes, I think they pick up on it but not in a concrete way (so 'thoughtful observer' is a good choice of words). For example - I was thinking again about why I consider EE to be such a 'masterpiece' - the spirit of exploration/adventure, acknowledging the spiritual and cultural elements of Yeti mythology, and the transformation as a result of the experience. EE was my kid's first 'real roller-coaster' (sorry, Barnstormer) and he liked it well enough, but then he loved it after he had some time to reflect on it and 'digest it' if you will...its the entirety of the experience that has an impact. Makes it so much more than 'an attraction'; it's what great art does.

I think that RoL could readily accomplish the same (and why I look so forward to it).

No, I didn't take it personally...once something like 'shamanism' in reference to art comes up, that sends me in several directions like spiritual practice/ nature as healer, the lotus as sacred, African art (including ritual masks and cave art), anthropology, etc. But not everyone has that interest/ familiarity, and I come across as enough of a know-it-all as it is.:bookworm::angelic: I'm curious to see if/how RoL will describe or celebrate that, or how it might represent that transformation/ journey....where being an observer is an act of participation (which is also a Buddhist concept I think).

Disneyhead'71

Amazing talent... less so at interpreting instrumentation.
He was his best with just a guitar and a microphone.

Back on topic,

I'm OK with tasteful use of Disney IP at DAK. And I would love to see Disney's IP DisneyNature used more in the park. Their stuff is amazing. (They should have done the new Soarin', just sayin').

I would be totally on board with a new Jungle Book show being ADDED to Asia. I just really would like to see RoL as intended. Mystical and wonderous and 20 mins of pure Disney magic without yelling DISNEY! in my face every second.

SorcererMC

Mystical and wonderous and 20 mins of pure Disney magic without yelling DISNEY! in my face every second.

I generally agree with your post and I tend to get a little 'picky' about how the film IPs 'interact' with the theme parks. I think ToL Awakenings is an interesting hybrid between fact/fantasy, where the music from the films is used but the animals are portrayed realistically or as shadow, and not just the characters from the films. That suggests to me that they recognize there are some limits on where IP should be used or not. (I could be completely wrong of course as I haven't seen it in person yet)

SorcererMC

Description from Disney's website:
[TL;DR: will feature Disneynature, original music, storytellers don't talk (and I'm guessing any intro would echo what this says).]

Everything the Light Touches

Eastern festival traditions merge with innovative technology to make Rivers of Light come alive.
Featuring evocative, never-before-seen footage from Disneynature, live performances and floating set pieces set to a soaring original musical score—this nighttime show employs a host of magical devices to create an immersive experience that’s unique to anything else on the planet.

Fireflies in Flight
The flickering ornamentation of fireflies illustrates the migration of light—a central motif of the production. As the story unfolds, original video projections and choreographed laser animation combine to create the appearance of glowing fireflies, illuminating moments of the celebration like living pixie dust.

Spirited Storytelling
Mysteriously, the show’s “storytellers” never utter a word. Instead, they communicate volumes through fascinating forms of authentic Asian dance, music, song and shadow puppetry.

The lush lagoon setting is a central character itself—an ever-changing canvas for the unveiling of an unforgettable tale.

MatthewWho13

Please guys stay on topic.

(Disclaimer: I actually don't have any authority or anything, but I've always wanted to 'say' that. And to @wdwmagic and @The Mom...you're welcome. ;))

Seriously.....

I like turtles..

But no, can we keep on point about RIVERS OF LIGHT.

This is an important thread, this is a unique nighttime offering, there is some cool tech and a great story and we all want to see it open. So many people follow this thread because they want to see and believe in this show.

If you want to talk IP's or frozen or whatever , let it go and start a new thread.

Just
Let
It
Go

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I generally agree with your post and I tend to get a little 'picky' about how the film IPs 'interact' with the theme parks. I think ToL Awakenings is an interesting hybrid between fact/fantasy, where the music from the films is used but the animals are portrayed realistically or as shadow, and not just the characters from the films. That suggests to me that they recognize there are some limits on where IP should be used or not. (I could be completely wrong of course as I haven't seen it in person yet)

Just a FYI: There are four main vignettes. Since Disney hasn't published a name for them, I have:

1. The Radical Snow Fox Jus' Wants To Have Fun And Help and Stuff
2. Humminglovebirds
3. The Fawn and the Spirit Bird
4. A Tribute to All Animals, But Mostly Those Who've Starred in a Disney Movie

It's only #4 that has Disney IP animals and familiar Disney music.

There are some interstitial mini-scenes like the carved creatures moving a bit, a quick snow scene, and a quick dandelion bloom scene.

mikeh

Just a FYI: There are four main vignettes. Since Disney hasn't published a name for them, I have:

1. The Radical Snow Fox Jus' Wants To Have Fun And Help and Stuff
2. Humminglovebirds
3. The Fawn and the Spirit Bird
4. A Tribute to All Animals, But Mostly Those Who've Starred in a Disney Movie

It's only #4 that has Disney IP animals and familiar Disney music.

There are some interstitial mini-scenes like the carved creatures moving a bit, a quick snow scene, and a quick dandelion bloom scene.

Here's the official list from Disney

13445305_1074137205957897_8817922088285467758_n.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's the official list from Disney

13445305_1074137205957897_8817922088285467758_n.jpg

Well, that's not exactly titles for the vignettes. :D

I like how they play coy that all those creatures in their #1 are from their documentaries and movies. They could have just as easily described it as "The Jungle Book" vignette.

SorcererMC

Well, that's not exactly titles for the vignettes. :D

I like how they play coy that all those creatures in their #1 are from their documentaries and movies. They could have just as easily described it as "The Jungle Book" vignette.

And the deer is reminiscent of Bambi, but is not Bambi.

Now that the fireflies are 'a thing' for RoL, too, I can only think of Raymond from The Princess and the Frog.o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom