New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

21stamps

It should be taken as a barometer of those who know, understand and care as opposed to a family looking for Potter and the Golf Ball running from ride to ride.

But now, back to Rivers of Late. This threads gone west far too much.
Let's say Rivers of Light comes out, and the general consensus from you, and some other people on this site, is that the show is bad. This makes it bad?
I'm asking because I just don't understand how one's opinion has anything to do with someone else's experience. Do you truly believe what you wrote? Millions and millions of people may love something.. but bc there are a few people who are vocally criticizing it... regardles of JBJB or RoL their opinion holds more weight bc they "know"?

I have to go for a run, so I can't get in a discussion about it..and I actually don't need answers. I've posted enough in this thread the past few days..and there's still no opening date, it's gotten weird for me so I'm going to "unwatch" and wait for the official announcement on this site.
I just want to leave this page saying this,
It seems like you do great things for Disney vacationers, and that you have a deep love for Disney World. That's admirable, and I'm sure it's helpful to countless people, honestly.
The thing is though, (this is directed toward a few people here) Loving Disney is not only about how much you study it. That's not why so many of Disney vacationers visit annually or several times in their lifetime. The love exists in your heart, from the memories you created with your loved ones, and the shows/rides/characters etc that you experience together..from childhood, to adulthood, and for some parenthood, coming full circle. It's that mix of memories and magic and old and new experiences that make it so wonderful. No one can determine what is a success or not a success based on their opinions towards an attraction..no matter how much more they "know" than anyone else. The success is proven or disproven by the number of people who go to see/experience that attraction.

Have fun River of Light'rs! Hopefully an opening day gets announced soon!

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Let's say Rivers of Light comes out, and the general consensus from you, and some other people on this site, is that the show is bad...

It's not my consensus. It's Igers. And his deputies.

Why do you think it's still not open despite the technical challenges being solved?

Don't get me wrong. I've said it before. I want DAK to have a stunning night show. I want it and the park needs it. But it seems at the moment it doesn't have one.

The success is proven or disproven by the number of people who go to see/experience that attraction.
Not at all. Jungle Book Alive with Magic played to capacity crowds. As did Light Magic.

freediverdude

It's not my consensus. It's Igers. And his deputies.

Why do you think it's still not open despite the technical challenges being solved?

Don't get me wrong. I've said it before. I want DAK to have a stunning night show. I want it and the park needs it. But it seems at the moment it doesn't have one.

Not at all. Jungle Book Alive with Magic played to capacity crowds. As did Light Magic.

Oh, I hadn't heard that. If Iger and his staff thinks RoL is bad and won't let it open after all the money spent, it must truly not be good. Those people don't flush money down the toilet or let something be seen as a flop unless they have to.

FigmentJedi

Oh, I hadn't heard that. If Iger and his staff thinks RoL is bad and won't let it open after all the money spent, it must truly not be good. Those people don't flush money down the toilet or let something be seen as a flop unless they have to.
If Bob "Let's make godawful remakes of every cartoon movie" Iger thinks RoL is bad, that means it's a masterpiece that's about to be ruined.

cjkeating

I gather it's story, or lack of, that is the biggest issue. It's a muddly mess of prettiness and hollowness, far from the original brief. Questions are rightly being asked how it got this far. Though short of starting from scratch (which is doubtful) it is probable the show will open more or less in the state it is in, and maybe altered / plussed / rewritten as they go. Opening in the quieter period wouldn't surprise me, though I'd be shocked if it's not open in some form for Avland in the summer.

I don't believe the show features any narration and the Sharmans do not speak... has no-one thought about explaining what is going on so the guests at least have an idea? Without an introduction would Illuminations or Fantasmic make as much sense on a first viewing?

cjkeating

Don't think anybody's posted these, but here's the high-res versions of the photos from the page on Disney's site
river-of-lights-owls-blue-16x9.jpg

river-of-light-river-pods-16x9.jpg

rivers-of-light-boats-16x9.jpg

rivers-of-light-elephant-16x9.jpg

Great find... I want to see this!

FigmentJedi

I don't believe the show features any narration and the Sharmans do not speak... has no-one thought about explaining what is going on so the guests at least have an idea? Without an introduction would Illuminations or Fantasmic make as much sense on a first viewing?
Previews indicated there was some sort of introductory narration providing context, but yeah, giving the shamans voices would help a lot I think.

Clamman73

I was thinking about this last night as to why it might not all really work as a show. Looking at the preview video again (and not a whole preview video which doesn't exist) it seems like it needs a Jeremy Irons narration here and there guiding you along the show as to what we're seeing as it relates to the story being portrayed in the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom