New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

TTA94

The working on it day and night is actually the part that can indicate there may be other issues at play here. In general Disney takes many steps hide the behind the scenes workings to the average guest. If at 3 weeks out they are at the point where they have to start taking down barriers but are not at the point where things can be completed out of guest view. It's a timeline conflict where you end up in a cascading "hurry up and wait" situation.

They will likely have something to show for all their hard work by the 22nd but it might not be 100% done. If that turns out to be the case the issue then becomes do they ever truly finish RoL or is it relegated to "patch and pray" from it's first showing.

Well Disney was smart not to release TO many show details, this way no one will really know if RoL debuts 100% the way it was intended or if cuts had/have to be made, etc.

TTA94

I love that WDW is getting a water and light show, even though it's an unfortunate very small one. Water/fountain and light shows is something that Orlando lacks unlike the west coast who has two very cool and big fountain shows, WoC and the Bellagio. Overseas has some very cool shows as well. I know that Universal attempted a water/fountain show, which I feel and hope they can improve on to the size and scale of WoC and the Bellagio.

twebber55

I love that WDW is getting a water and light show, even though it's an unfortunate very small one. Water/fountain and light shows is something that Orlando lacks unlike the west coast who has two very cool and big fountain shows, WoC and the Bellagio. Overseas has some very cool shows as well. I know that Universal attempted a water/fountain show, which I feel and hope they can improve on to the size and scale of WoC and the Bellagio.
what small water and light show are you talking about? im curious

TTA94

I believe he's referring to that fountain they put in at Disney Springs. Surely not RoL.

Actually I Was talking about RoL in the amount of fountains, the 5 lotus flowers. The show overall may not be small. My point was I wish the Orlando area would get a massive fountain show like WoC and the Bellagio one day. Could still happen at WDW, new version of illuminations, special venue at Disney Springs, maaybe DHS in the way future.

Last edited:

TTA94

One particular characteristic of RoL I look forward to is being completely immersed in the soundtrack without the interruptions of fireworks. Similar to F!

Like many of us feel, the soundtrack is going to make or break this show. Im sure it's going to be more on the slow, flowy, and emotional side, but I wouldn't mind a catchy, but fitting, theme song or a exit song.

Wikkler

New concept art of RoL? ;)
Bird_Fountain_Brasov.jpg

Last edited:

MadMax11

Would be super cool if they'd let us know how long AK will be open when we're there in June. Was hoping to make dining reservations at Yak and Yeti...I called them direct to make reservation using Landrys Select Club membership. They have no idea what their hours are going to be in 60 days. :) "Sorry..call back in May when we have that figured out."

Would be a lot funnier if we didn't have the urgency to plan every step of every day months out.

DisDan

Would be super cool if they'd let us know how long AK will be open when we're there in June. Was hoping to make dining reservations at Yak and Yeti...I called them direct to make reservation using Landrys Select Club membership. They have no idea what their hours are going to be in 60 days. :) "Sorry..call back in May when we have that figured out."

Would be a lot funnier if we didn't have the urgency to plan every step of every day months out.
I was able to book 8pm reservations at Tusker House for June 10th

me_stitch

Premium Member
Yeah, don't know much but those times (if accurate) make me super excited! I can't wait for AK to be a full day park. I remember being there when it was dark for extra magic hours back in 2005 and it was gorgeous. I honestly think it was open later back then, because in my memories the park was open in the dark.
I remember riding EE in the dark in 2008, it was a cool view at night from the top of Everest

me_stitch

Premium Member
I've seen WoC and I think RoL has the potential to be as good or better just because of the atmosphere. The trees, themed buildings, and EE in the background will make this pretty cool. WoC is awesome but you could be watching it at Downtown Disney and not know the difference whereas RoL will blend in with the park.

Marc Davis Fan

I've seen WoC and I think RoL has the potential to be as good or better just because of the atmosphere. The trees, themed buildings, and EE in the background will make this pretty cool. WoC is awesome but you could be watching it at Downtown Disney and not know the difference whereas RoL will blend in with the park.

Actually, WoC at DS is a pretty interesting idea. I wonder if they could actually fit a version of that in someday. Unless RoL is too similar.

I agree that RoL blending into the atmosphere of the park is potentially going to be one of its greatest assets. I love that everything at AK fits together aesthetically so well (except for the obvious exception), and that they're continuing to maintain and develop that aesthetic harmony.

G00fyDad

Actually, WoC at DS is a pretty interesting idea. I wonder if they could actually fit a version of that in someday. Unless RoL is too similar.

While part of me does like the idea of WoC coming to DS I know it will never happen. Disney would not do that unless it brought in revenue (ie. ticket sales) and DS would be a free venue for that show. Also, it would paralyze DS with too many people showing up for the shows. Could you imagine that chaos in such close quarters? Besides, they would also have to remove the boat rentals and reroute existing boat traffic to go around the WoC area.

No Name

But wasn't that idea scrapped because of issues like a return on investment? That is a lot of money to throw at something that will not give back a return.

Your typical Disney exec probably does not see it giving back enough value. But I certainly think it would.

There are plenty of families, actually the majority of them, that never set foot in Disney Springs. Why? Well, because they are on vacation with their kids, and they just don't care to go to a shopping place. But if there were to be some draw, such as a night show or even a ride, it would draw plenty of people that wouldn't otherwise go to DS. And when the show ends, or before it starts, what are they going to do? Just come and leave? I bet they'll look around in stores, and then buy things, and that means more :greedy::greedy::greedy: for Disney.

For example, Hersey's Chocolate World in Hershey, PA, has a free, quality ride inside of the place, which is mainly otherwise a store. And it is the thing that draws people in, certainly providing a huge return. All of the top level execs should take a field trip there to see how they operate, and then bring that idea to Disney Springs.

Unless the concern is that DS will become overcrowded. But I think that's a concern they'd be glad to have.

I think a ride or show on Rivers of Light's level of quality would be an excellent idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom