New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

MatthewWho13

Just heard from a close friend that works at the reservation center that they announced the cast preview and then canceled it the next day with no explanation.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The "reason" that I have heard voiced by some of the "engineer" experts on this board that WDW will probably NEVER see a fountain show the scope of WOC (which, by the way id my all-time favorite of Disney's PM shows) has to do with the unstable land on the WDW property and the much higher water table in FL. A show like WOC requires massive high-pressure sub-surface tanks and very heavy machinery which can be installed in CA, but not at WDW.

I don't buy this. Unstable land does not make it impossible to build things, it just makes it a little harder. There is no equipment in WOC that is more massive then things used by other attractions in WDW.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I don't buy this. Unstable land does not make it impossible to build things, it just makes it a little harder. There is no equipment in WOC that is more massive then things used by other attractions in WDW.

Would have to agree. Just comparing apples to apples, a lot of the pumps used at Blizzard Beach would be very comparable to the pumps (at least in size and force) to the pumps used in World of Color.

WhatJaneSays

Just heard from a close friend that works at the reservation center that they announced the cast preview and then canceled it the next day with no explanation.
Some CMs knew or had a good idea of when the preview was going to be, but there had been no actual announcement. There is still some talk of AK CM only previews but that's probably going to be mostly for training and load testing.

zweltar

Some CMs knew or had a good idea of when the preview was going to be, but there had been no actual announcement. There is still some talk of AK CM only previews but that's probably going to be mostly for training and load testing.
Well, I heard that they will have a special AK CM-only preview, but the CMs will have to pay $200 to see it and will have to forgo two weeks pay. Does Disney know no boundaries??

MagicHappens1971

I have a question/comment, I've been seeing multiple people saying that the opening on April 22nd will be a soft opening and the real show won't debut till Memorial day. Any truth to that? I don't trust rumors I see on FB and I'm thinking of heading up for the weekend to see the show opening night

WhatJaneSays

I have a question/comment, I've been seeing multiple people saying that the opening on April 22nd will be a soft opening and the real show won't debut till Memorial day. Any truth to that? I don't trust rumors I see on FB and I'm thinking of heading up for the weekend to see the show opening night
No one knows for sure at this point; likely even the people working on RoL don't know. People seem confidant that there will be something (B Mode or similar) to show for it's projected opening date. The show's finished state may be done by then or be completed at a later date (or, worst case scenario, delayed indefinitely).

It would probably not be considered a traditional "soft opening" but some people may call it that.

bjm72385

Seeing the latest pictures, they really need to either stop adding to the Asia side or step it up on the Dinoland side. The more they add to the Asia side the worse the Dinoland side is looking.

With the added buildings on the Asia side, do we know if any of those will be concession areas? If so, it makes me wonder if the entire Asia side would be the FP+ and dining package side, and the Dinoland side for standby.

Mike S

Seeing the latest pictures, they really need to either stop adding to the Asia side or step it up on the Dinoland side. The more they add to the Asia side the worse the Dinoland side is looking.

With the added buildings on the Asia side, do we know if any of those will be concession areas? If so, it makes me wonder if the entire Asia side would be the FP+ and dining package side, and the Dinoland side for standby.
FP+? You get the nice side. Standby? Go over there.

That might not go well.

TTA94

No one knows for sure at this point; likely even the people working on RoL don't know. People seem confidant that there will be something (B Mode or similar) to show for it's projected opening date. The show's finished state may be done by then or be completed at a later date (or, worst case scenario, delayed indefinitely).

It would probably not be considered a traditional "soft opening" but some people may call it that.

If (B mode) holds true what parts of the show would be put on hold?

s8film40

The monorail is the prime example. Imagine the day they charge for that...
For some people they don't have to imagine they can remember.:)
SIziZm9l.jpg

MatthewWho13

Well WOC is in a concrete bottom lagoon, The waterways in DAK are natural and would have needed to been dredged and concreted to support that show hardware. There is also the consideration of all of the trees and foliage that would fall into the water from the surrounding vegetation and the large filtration systems that would need to be built to keep tons and tons of decaying materials out of the mass of fountains.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well WOC is in a concrete bottom lagoon, The waterways in DAK are natural and would have needed to been dredged and concreted to support that show hardware. There is also the consideration of all of the trees and foliage that would fall into the water from the surrounding vegetation and the large filtration systems that would need to be built to keep tons and tons of decaying materials out of the mass of fountains.

The original poster wasn't singling out AK, he was making the claim that it is not technically possible to build a WOC type show anywhere in WDW.

s8film40

My thought would be to have concrete platform for the area where the fountains would be. This would be level slightly elevated with the water level and could overflow into the canal. Essentially a pool within the canal.

Edit: Upon further review I'm not a genius and didn't singlehandedly come up with some new innovative idea.
http://liquidfireworks.com/shows-and-products/outdoor-shows/

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom