New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, April 1. Some of the construction walls have been removed from around the lake at Rivers of Light, from the "entrance" pathway of Anandapur to Thirsty River beverages. The view of Expedition Everest from here has returned. The construction walls still remain around most of the Rivers of Light seating areas.

IMG_7610.JPG

The pathway around this part of the lake affords new views of the Rivers of Light seating area to the north.

IMG_7611.JPG

IMG_7614.JPG

New view of the south Rivers of Light seating area from the pathway without the construction walls.

IMG_7612.JPG

Without the construction walls, the openness of the pathway has returned on the approach to Expedition Everest.

IMG_7613.JPG

Here is a widened area in the original pathway, with a new wall, separating the pathway from the north seating area below.

IMG_7615.JPG

Final painting and flags appear on the new buildings at the rear of the seating areas.

IMG_7616.JPG

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Photo update as of Friday, April 1. Some of the construction walls have been removed from around the lake at Rivers of Light, from the "entrance" pathway of Anandapur to Thirsty River beverages. The view of Expedition Everest from here has returned. The construction walls still remain around most of the Rivers of Light seating areas.

View attachment 136334

The pathway around this part of the lake affords new views of the Rivers of Light seating area to the north.

View attachment 136335

View attachment 136338

New view of the south Rivers of Light seating area from the pathway without the construction walls.

View attachment 136336
Without the construction walls, the openness of the pathway has returned on the approach to Expedition Everest.

View attachment 136337

Here is a widened area in the original pathway, with a new wall, separating the pathway from the north seating area below.

View attachment 136339

Final painting and flags appear on the new buildings at the rear of the seating areas.
View attachment 136340

Very impressive.

WhatJaneSays

As far as I've been told ALL events involving RoL, including press and corporate/cast previews, have been canceled except for one event planned for the 19th that seems corporate related. The regular park hours for that reflect a 5 PM closing with the event after hours, but with the details being very up in the air.

Personally, I'm not seeing enough confidence from the right people that it will be show ready as projected. I've heard April 25th or 29th and May 1st or 6th floated as dates for RoL opening.

EDIT:
I've also been told that there will be some filming via helicopter between 4/2-4/7 around the parks and Springs. AKs will be done after dark, presumably for filming elements of RoL and the Tree.

Last edited:

SpectroMan93

View attachment 136335

View attachment 136336

I mean, I understand that each side is supposed to be themed according to the land it's in, but this really shows how poorly themed DinoLand USA is compared to the rest of the park. The more they add to the Asia side, the more bland the DinoLand side becomes.

RMichael21

They are going to be dealing with a lot of complaints.
Well, I really doubt that they care about these complaints. :p But, it should be interesting, to see how they're able to get the show ready.

But, as a person involved in theater, shows often don't come together often until just days before opening night. Now, I know comparing high school musical productions to this high-tech jigsaw puzzle is like comparing apples to oranges, but it's worthy to note that most times productions aren't show worthy three weeks before the first performance.

raymusiccity

They are going to be dealing with a lot of complaints.

I don't understand why Disney is keeping everyone in the dark (no pun intended) regarding the operating hours for Rivers of Light and the night safari.

We have reservations to visit during the middle of October, yet every single night shows Animal Kingdom closing before dark!

It sure borders on deceptive advertising to market a nighttime experience, without giving you a clue if you'll ever be able to see it during your stay. :mad:

Cesar R M

I don't understand why Disney is keeping everyone in the dark (no pun intended) regarding the operating hours for Rivers of Light and the night safari.

We have reservations to visit during the middle of October, yet every single night shows Animal Kingdom closing before dark!

It sure borders on deceptive advertising to market a nighttime experience, without giving you a clue if you'll ever be able to see it during your stay. :mad:
I think thats the point. Like most projects.. They prefer to keep people in the dark, so people do not cancel their old plans and then massively go on the proposed opening days.

WhatJaneSays

They still have three weeks to get it fixed and they are working on it day and night. I expect it to still open on time.

The working on it day and night is actually the part that can indicate there may be other issues at play here. In general Disney takes many steps hide the behind the scenes workings to the average guest. If at 3 weeks out they are at the point where they have to start taking down barriers but are not at the point where things can be completed out of guest view. It's a timeline conflict where you end up in a cascading "hurry up and wait" situation.

They will likely have something to show for all their hard work by the 22nd but it might not be 100% done. If that turns out to be the case the issue then becomes do they ever truly finish RoL or is it relegated to "patch and pray" from it's first showing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom