New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

G00fyDad

Your typical Disney exec probably does not see it giving back enough value. But I certainly think it would.

There are plenty of families, actually the majority of them, that never set foot in Disney Springs. Why? Well, because they are on vacation with their kids, and they just don't care to go to a shopping place. But if there were to be some draw, such as a night show or even a ride, it would draw plenty of people that wouldn't otherwise go to DS. And when the show ends, or before it starts, what are they going to do? Just come and leave? I bet they'll look around in stores, and then buy things, and that means more :greedy::greedy::greedy: for Disney.

For example, Hersey's Chocolate World in Hershey, PA, has a free, quality ride inside of the place, which is mainly otherwise a store. And it is the thing that draws people in, certainly providing a huge return. All of the top level execs should take a field trip there to see how they operate, and then bring that idea to Disney Springs.

Unless the concern is that DS will become overcrowded. But really... is that a bad concern?

I think a ride or show on Rivers of Light's level of quality would be an excellent idea.

You have a good point, but in terms of generating revenue it would not be too much of a boon to Disney who doesn't actually own all of the shops in DS.

HauntedMansionFLA

Your typical Disney exec probably does not see it giving back enough value. But I certainly think it would.

There are plenty of families, actually the majority of them, that never set foot in Disney Springs. Why? Well, because they are on vacation with their kids, and they just don't care to go to a shopping place. But if there were to be some draw, such as a night show or even a ride, it would draw plenty of people that wouldn't otherwise go to DS. And when the show ends, or before it starts, what are they going to do? Just come and leave? I bet they'll look around in stores, and then buy things, and that means more :greedy::greedy::greedy: for Disney.

For example, Hersey's Chocolate World in Hershey, PA, has a free, quality ride inside of the place, which is mainly otherwise a store. And it is the thing that draws people in, certainly providing a huge return. All of the top level execs should take a field trip there to see how they operate, and then bring that idea to Disney Springs.

Unless the concern is that DS will become overcrowded. But I think that's a concern they'd be glad to have.

I think a ride or show on Rivers of Light's level of quality would be an excellent idea.
What is down in Disney Springs for families? Is there anything like Mini-golf or a train ride to at least tempt the typical family of four to make their way down to DS?

doctornick

What is down in Disney Springs for families? Is there anything like Mini-golf or a train ride to at least tempt the typical family of four to make their way down to DS?

Well, there's Disneyquest. For now....

More onto your point, there is a very nice bowling alley. Mini-golf would probably have made sense as well, but probably not at this point with two other courses on property. Another reasonable option might be something like a high quality laser tag venue.

TTA94

With Disney launching the updated MDE on the 10th I wonder if that's when they will add RoL and the new park hours? Also someone said the 10th is when CMs get their schedule?

No Name

You have a good point, but in terms of generating revenue it would not be too much of a boon to Disney who doesn't actually own all of the shops in DS.

Sure, but with more people visiting and the shops being more successful, Disney would be able to charge a higher rent to new stores. That is where they'd make more money on the stores that they don't own.

Unless that is a serious question, I don't get it. You are just proving my point. There is not enough to draw families to Disney Springs, and that's why there should be a free show or ride of some sort. Other than the bus ride to and from the place.

There is, or maybe was, a little mall-sized train that went in a small oval shaped loop. But you have to pay for that. There is Disneyquest, which must be paid for. Some of the stuff in World of Disney is fun to look at, and the Lego store has a little ramp outside where you can build cars and test them out. There is pin trading too. Other than that... not much. Certainly nothing significant like a water show or actual ride, nothing that would draw families of young children.

HauntedMansionFLA

Sure, but with more people visiting and shops being more successful, Disney would be able to charge a higher rent to new stores. So that would be where they'd make more money on the stores that they don't own.

Unless that is a serious question, I don't get it. You are just proving my point. There is not enough to draw families to Disney Springs, and that's why there should be a free show or ride of some sort. Other than the bus ride to and from the place.

There is, or maybe was, a little mall-sized train that went in a small oval shaped loop. But you have to pay for that. There is Disneyquest, which must be paid for. Some of the stuff in World of Disney is fun to look at, and the Lego store has a little ramp outside where you can build cars and test them out. There is pin trading too. Other than that... not much. Certainly nothing significant like a water show or actual ride, nothing that would draw families of young children.
I was asking because all I've heard about the place is food and retail. I would not make my way down there and battle the crowds I keep hearing about.

No Name

I was asking because all I've heard about the place is food and retail. I would not make my way down there and battle the crowds I keep hearing about.

Oh, sorry, I did not realize it was a serious question. So no, not much. What I said above is about all. The place is certainly a friendly enough environment where it's fine to take kids there, but it's not particularly appealing for them. Mostly food and retail.

No Name

There is free entertainment there, or at least there has been when I've visited.

Now I know we're getting quite off topic but how so? What kind of entertainment? I haven't been in the past few months and really don't know what you're referring to, so I am actually wondering what you mean.

Anyway, is it entertainment that would make a family say "hey lets go there" instead of "hey, why don't you guys swim in the pool while I get little Tommy ready for bed"? Is it anything that can be advertised?

Rivers of Light will keep people in Animal Kingdom longer, and will do a whole lot to improve guest satisfaction and maybe even spending in the park, but even an inexperienced, new exec should see the benefit of drawing new types of people to a shopping place.

Basically, I feel there's a good deal of value in making Disney Springs... nāhtāmāhll!

Last edited:

Brian Swan

Actually I Was talking about RoL in the amount of fountains, the 5 lotus flowers. The show overall may not be small. My point was I wish the Orlando area would get a massive fountain show like WoC and the Bellagio one day. Could still happen at WDW, new version of illuminations, special venue at Disney Springs, maaybe DHS in the way future.
The "reason" that I have heard voiced by some of the "engineer" experts on this board that WDW will probably NEVER see a fountain show the scope of WOC (which, by the way id my all-time favorite of Disney's PM shows) has to do with the unstable land on the WDW property and the much higher water table in FL. A show like WOC requires massive high-pressure sub-surface tanks and very heavy machinery which can be installed in CA, but not at WDW.

Blairnicol

etaHh09.jpg

Another image of the "Avatar Tree". Image taken by Trevor of the Orlandobros
:jawdrop:

Cesar R M

Sure, but with more people visiting and the shops being more successful, Disney would be able to charge a higher rent to new stores. That is where they'd make more money on the stores that they don't own.

Has Iger's Disney EVER EVER give something free of real value?
I mean as in FREE and not INCLUDED in the price?

There are some fantastic live musicians that are scattered through the area and there are even numerous performances on the main stage across from World of Disney. Its "worth" will depend on if your family likes that kind of thing. If not, then it obviously wouldn't be a good place to go. I'm single with no children, so I enjoy it.
I really liked the Jazz guys who are usually infront of Fulton's boat.

Anyway, I dont think they count. I mean.. they are paid by Disney or by tips?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom