New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Mike S

negative_weak.jpg

X = Collective hope of RoL opening soon
Y = This thread's descent into insanity
Z = Bob Iger's current mood
Find Z ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Say it with me: "Water"... "Skiing"... "Dogs"

Who wouldn't want to see this:

View attachment 181146

You mean water-skiing painted dogs. There's a lot of people allergic to the idea of mere domestic animals in the AK. If it ain't exotic*, it doesn't belong there.

*From a jungle: North American, European, and polar animals need not apply

Brian Swan

No. The ride's 'story' is complete nonsense and Jack's place in it is inexplicable.

1. "Dead men tell no tales." And yet, they're going to tell a tale. And the two people on the mist don't really introduce themselves. So... who are they?

2. Beach with pirate and mermaid skeletons. OK... why?

3. Living skeleton piloting a sailing ship in the rain. OK... why?

4. Ship attacking a fort. British ship? Pirate ship? Not clear. Looking for Jack Sparrow and gold. Why?

5. Pirates (?) torturing townsfolk looking for Jack Sparrow. They all seem to want to protect him. Is he their local hero? Oh, look, someone's watching from around the corner and hiding. Is that Jack? Well, since he's willing to let people get tortured to protect him, I guess he's no hero.

6. A slave-bride auction. I hear the Redhead is preferred. What does this have to do with the tale?

7. Several pairs of figures are on a laughable fast roundtable that is supposed to simulate running I guess. Is this based on a cartoon show? One pair is carrying a chest... of treasure? Is that part of the tale? Are any of the other runners part of the tale? One oaf is looking at a treasure map bragging that Captain Jack Sparrow will never get his hands on it. And look, I guess that's Jack popping up from the barrel reading over his shoulder.

8. An alcoholic pirate talking to his cats.

9. A sea shanty that carousing pirates sing while a city burns. A pirates life for me!

10. Pirates in prison trying to call over a dog who inexplicably holds the key. A pirate's life for me, indeed!

11. Captain Jack with his hoard mumbling something incomprehensible. Yay (?) Captain Jack! (?) He... did it?

This 'attraction' exists purely based on the power of nostalgia.
Pre Jack Sparrow, the DL ride had a defined story line. It started with "dead men tell no tails", and after two waterfalls you saw a series of dead pirate scenes (the one tied to the wheel is not "alive", the storm is causing the wheel to move). The final scene of that sequence was seeing the treasure, and the voice-over tells you that since you now "know where the cursed treasure is hidden" you may all be in danger. The next scene is the pirates attacking the local town from their ship, and the following scenes are humorous vignettes of the pirates taking over and ultimately sacking the town. The final scene, in an underground room that was burning and could collapse at any time was pirates taking pot-shots at kegs of gun powder hanging over the boats, and just in time, you "magically go back up a waterfall" (Walt's own words) to escape the danger. It was very linear "storytelling". The changes made to the WDW version damaged the storytelling right from the start. Now, with Jack, it's just a series of "pirate vignettes" with a weak, at best, overarching narrative.

Mike S

Pre Jack Sparrow, the DL ride had a defined story line. It started with "dead men tell no tails", and after two waterfalls you saw a series of dead pirate scenes (the one tied to the wheel is not "alive", the storm is causing the wheel to move). The final scene of that sequence was seeing the treasure, and the voice-over tells you that since you now "know where the cursed treasure is hidden" you may all be in danger. The next scene is the pirates attacking the local town from their ship, and the following scenes are humorous vignettes of the pirates taking over and ultimately sacking the town. The final scene, in an underground room that was burning and could collapse at any time was pirates taking pot-shots at kegs of gun powder hanging over the boats, and just in time, you "magically go back up a waterfall" (Walt's own words) to escape the danger. It was very linear "storytelling". The changes made to the WDW version damaged the storytelling right from the start. Now, with Jack, it's just a series of "pirate vignettes" with a weak, at best, overarching narrative.
I thought the story with DL's skeletons was that the further you go the more "lively" they get like the one drinking rum or the one steering the ship.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
negative_weak.jpg

X = Collective hope of RoL opening soon
Y = This thread's descent into insanity
Z = Bob Iger's current mood

Isn't that also the historic chart for the Disney innovation and exciting new attractions over the years

Or maybe it's the price increases remaining before the pixie dust hits the fan with many regulars

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'll go one step further and say that the average audience doesn't even know what an IP is. We are the ones that throw that around so much that it really has changed it's meaning. IP = Intellectual Property!
He said the audience might not want an IP. If the audience is capable of recognizing a character, then they do not need to understand the exact definition of an IP to know that they would prefer something original in the show. The rest of your post was redundant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom