New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

21stamps

I do think a large portion of the guests at WDW expect to see Disney characters at the Disney parks these days. Look at the huge lines to meet characters. The population posting here is not the norm. I do think they started introducing more characters into EPCOT at least partially due to guest demand. I loved the original EPCOT Center as a kid in the 80s, but even back then I knew a lot of people that described it as the "boring" park and some families with kids avoided it.

The key is for Disney to use IP when and where appropriate. Frozen in Norway is a stretch. Having Jungle Book characters or Safari Mickey at AK just makes good sense. I fail to see how GoTG fits at EPCOT at all, but I have come around on Avatar as being a decent fit in AK so maybe they will figure it out.
Exactly. It doesn't mean that we need characters every 5 feet. It just means that some fit in certain themes. The Jungle Book and other images fit into the Tree of Life awakenings, they don't take away from the show or contradict with the overall message. They fit perfectly.

Of course, there's still the possibility that I was totally hallucinating during the ToL show...lol

Magic Feather

Alright, it seems this thread has gotten a bit heated, so let's all take some time to decompress. All of us seem to agree that in some way, shape, or form, IP has a place in the parks, we all just have different views of what is appropriate use. At this point, can we all just agree to disagree or move this to General Disscussion? I sure would hate for anyone wanting RoL news to wade through 6+ pages of IP Wars to find nothing. There are better places and times for this, let's use them.

PS: The one vignette with the Disney music believe it or not doesn't have characters, but instead, animals that represent them. EX: We see clownfish as Nemo music plays, and a sloth bear as JB music plays, but they are not Nemo or Baloo, merely representative of them. This is the words of someone on the project.

Daveeeeed

No. It absolutely should not. Those families pay the bills and do not deserve be treated with condescension.

I would posit they are using the parks the way Walt intended. I don't think he planned it for people who make it their life.

I read posts from David and think how sad it must be, what a missed opportunity, that he can't just sit back and enjoy the ride, warts and all, like I just did.

People keep saying the thread is going off track. It's been so far a mostly respectful and robust discussion; and using examples from other parks to make the point about rivers of light is not really going off topic IMO.

My bottom line is this: unless you are or were an imagineer, opinions here are all equally valid.
I absolutely love Disney, but some people over here are acting like Frozen was such a good idea etc. I am going to enjoy it, but I am willing to call Disney out on things too. I think it's sort of a misunderstanding: I really do love Disney and in fact, I will be at Epcot on the 27th.

I stand by what I've said because I believe in it, but I think due to the nature of forums -- we all could have done it differently, including myself.

I apologize for escalating this -- I don't want to be known for that. I'll admit I do go overboard many times on News & Rumors, I am not that way normally, but when there's something you care about so deeply and so many people are okay with messing it up (rather than use ips properly, which can work great, use them just haphazardly) it in a way kind of hurts. I mean look at Tokyo Disney Sea: it uses ips and original rides so perfectly: From the Tower of terror to The Magic Lamp Theater's Aladdin. I am fine if they use ips like that, but Frozen, in particular, was just the cheapest way that they could create a Frozen ride without taking into consideration what needed to happen.

Again, I'm sure I'm going to love this ride when I ride it in 4 days; I will move on, but in a way to me, this was like getting rid of Living With The Land for A Bugs Life attraction.
I will live with it and move on from what was there before: it's not a big deal; just for the justification though, I don't think it was done properly.

Hopefully, we can all move on: I apologize for being so defensive and I hope everyone just took it for what it was: a debate.

Last edited:

21stamps

No, many are claiming the attractions and the parks to a certain degree are being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.
The two "sides of the fence" aren't going to agree on this. For many people AK is not "dumbed down" by the presence of Disney characters. People do conservation activities and see animals within driving distance of their home. They can not see characters that they love within driving distance (for most). The wonderful street shows, the conservation message, the animals, and the characters can all exist under the same AK 'theme' without one taking away from the other. It's a good mix, for me, and for a lot of people. For other's it's not apparently.lol.
Hopefully those in the "against" camp still can enjoy the parks as they are now, and not let what they 'were' effect the person in a negative way.

21stamps

PS: The one vignette with the Disney music believe it or not doesn't have characters, but instead, animals that represent them. EX: We see clownfish as Nemo music plays, and a sloth bear as JB music plays, but they are not Nemo or Baloo, merely representative of them. This is the words of someone on the project.

Please, I encourage you, and everyone else, to read your own statement again. I think this is the type of thing that @Tony the Tigger was referring to earlier.

"A clownfish as Nemo music plays"
"A panther, a sloth bear, etc and Jungle Book music plays"
"A deer and a rabbit" as Bambi and Thumper etc..

What do you think most people see as they are standing there watching? What do you think kids are exclaiming (I heard plenty of "Nemo!" and "Baloo!" from children around).
What do you think Disney wanted them to equate those scenes to?

Most people will equate that with the movies.. as they should, as obviously Disney intended them to... accomplishing this- Enjoyment and familiarity with movies and characters that they love presented in a gorgeous way, integrated into a beautiful nighttime show. Most do not sit home and watch the show online trying to pick it apart or analyze it. Most people are not consumed with Disney in their daily lives.

I don't know what someone on the project said, I know what everyone around me was looking at.. and they were seeing Nemo. Right, wrong, or indifferent. I definitely don't think what we all were seeing was wrong. I think we saw what the show wanted us to see.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No, what's going on here is that you seem to have completely hijacked this thread and ran it off the rails. Just stop and let's get back to the topic.
To get back on topic, is it possible that this latest delay is just a cost cutting measure? They planned to keep AK open at night by including the night Safari, Tree of Life light show, nighttime party type thing and ROL from last April until Avatarland opens. Is there really enough to do at night to make it worth keeping open at night every day without Avatarland? The night Safari has gotten mixed reviews at best and the rest is just filler. I didn't visit this summer, but I read a lot of reviews that the place was pretty empty at night.

Maybe they just thought it was better to go back to the earlier closings and wait for Avatar officially opens to keep the park open at night. I'm sure there were problems with the show too, but it can't be so bad that they couldn't roll it out and based on how they staggered the opening of FLE they have no problem rolling things out half finished and finishing them up later. When Avatar opens the park will be swamped with visitors for a while so that's perfect timing to have the show open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom