New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

PREMiERdrum

People I know down there (obviously not sources at all comparable to @marni1971 , @WDW1974 , or @wdwmagic ) seemed to indicate that some things still weren't functioning as designed and that the version of the show that could debut soon wouldn't be the show as initially produced.

It seems to me that there's a reasonable chance we'll see a compromised show debut in the very near future. I'll be curious to see if this is the version that remains long-term.

WildcatDen

What's Serpico?
An unnamed, non gender specific source. Originally, I assumed Serpico was an Industry insider as I was originally given a bit of news on King's Island's new coaster (what is in the shed?) but now I wonder if the individual is a upper level Cast Member with friends within Cedar Fair? It may even be someone on these boards?

TTA94

Any guesses as to what comes next after these CM previews? These are apparently only for DAK CMs... would the next step be open to all CMs before any APs or public?

djkidkaz

Any guesses as to what comes next after these CM previews? These are apparently only for DAK CMs... would the next step be open to all CMs before any APs or public?

No it seems pretty consistent that they do the preview for that parks CM's and then from there it soft opens to everyone. I can't remember the last time they did a parks CM's, then all CM's, then AP and DVC, then everyone. If your going to let AP and DVC you mine as well just let everyone see it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, putting drivers on the floats would be a typical Disney move. But instead of taking the cheap cop out, they're continuing to work through the knots of having driver-less floats. If anything their dedication to NOT backtrack shouldn't be seen as a failure, it should be praised.

If doing so actually added something to the show... sure. Sometimes 'cool for the sake of cool' is actually just foolish. It's about keeping your priorities straight on what matters. Are you protecting a show element, or are you protecting ego/choices? Just make sure you are defending choices for the right reasons...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Self-driving boats shouldn't be that different from a self-driving ride vehicle

I take it you don't drive boats at all...
Hint #1 - they don't have brakes
Hint #2 - there is not a direct 1:1 relation between the surface and your propulsion
Hint #3 - where the heck am I? you gotta measure everything to even know..
Hint #4 - how much does wind impact you standing up? Ever try comparing that when you are on a tube in a pool?
Hint #5 - Now rethink everything to account for what you will do when something isn't where its supposed to be

flynnibus

Premium Member
No its not, actually. Go big or go home. You know I'm a advocate of stroking egos, so I'd rather waste time with something neat like driverless floats than compromise for a cheap cop out.

Then I'm sure you must think SeaWorld's Antartica attraction must be the cat's meow... because it's a poster child of 'missing the freaking point' when trying to stuff technology in and ignoring your real goals.

Magic Feather

If doing so actually added something to the show... sure. Sometimes 'cool for the sake of cool' is actually just foolish. It's about keeping your priorities straight on what matters. Are you protecting a show element, or are you protecting ego/choices? Just make sure you are defending choices for the right reasons...
They are protecting a show element in remaining driverless.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then I'm sure you must think SeaWorld's Antartica attraction must be the cat's meow... because it's a poster child of 'missing the freaking point' when trying to stuff technology in and ignoring your real goals.
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll give my opinion anyway...it is aweful. Plain and simple the worst execution of a ride I have ever seen especially considering the hype pre-opening. The damn penguins at the end are the best part of the attraction but they have nothing to do with the ride and were there all along. Epic fail.

Cesar R M

So either the issues were solved really quickly or they are rolling out the show without fixing the problems who knows. Either way it sounds like this show will at least start previews really soon.

Seems like a lot of conflicting information around lately relating to Disney parks. Maybe they are making a deliberate attempt at spreading bad information to weed out leaks.
They could be launching the show with manual navigation perhaps? and then they will fix these issues later on?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They could be launching the show with manual navigation perhaps? and then they will fix these issues later on?
Very possible. It just seems like the stories were just so far off. We went from the show being DOA and not opening until next summer to soft openings over night. Based on that I would say it's highly unlikely that the show that is opening is the full version but who really knows these days. Stuff seems to change and change dramatically at the drop of a hat.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you go on the Penguin ride, and you want to retain your sanity, you have to approach it with the attitude of seeing a really bad movie knowing it's a bad movie. The science, the story, the VFX, the 'wild' version of the ride -- are all horribly bad.
...and this coming from Mister Penguin who should be an expert on Penguin themed attractions;)

I agree on all counts.

prfctlyximprct

I think everyone just assumed it was dead because it wasn't mentioned at D23. I don't think that was ever a valid rumor. At this point it'll open between December 2016 and spring 2017. I'm sure we'll get an official announcement soon!

flynnibus

Premium Member
They are protecting a show element in remaining driverless.

That is like saying rubber vs plastic is a show element. How the boats are steered has nothing to do with the show.. what matters is how they look, behave, what they do, etc.

You may find it a neat techology gimmick - but has nothing to do with part of the story being told. If they were RC driven by people out of sight, or driven by a computer program... it would still be the same show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom