Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There are a lot of legacy systems within P&R that just can't be upgraded without requiring software or utilities to be completely re-written. Rest assured measures are taken to keep them secure... like not connecting them to the network.

There were actually a few scares a while back when Microsoft started "upgrading" systems forcibly as though they were system patches.
Oh absolutely. IIRC a lot of the legacy DCM controllers (touchscreens) and GPRCS that ran the original EPCOT attractions were replaced as they failed because they couldn’t be replaced since parts weren’t available. Same for the Small World lighting system. But we digress!

Pixieish

When it comes to Microsoft, anyone in their right mind knows to remain on the previous operating system before the new operating system is thoroughly vetted.
Yep. I just finally moved up to Windows 10 Pro in April because I couldn't find a motherboard replacement for my other computer. All our other devices are Apple, but until I win the lottery...Windows computer it is.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Aren't old Animatronics still running on the spinning-drum style control systems? Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's the oldest equivalent of Punch cards I'd imagine still in use today.
To be honest, the only thing left that’s close to "legacy" is the JC, and I’d be surprised if even that didn’t have its show systems updated.

Ninja Mom

There are a lot of legacy systems within P&R that just can't be upgraded without requiring software or utilities to be completely re-written. Rest assured measures are taken to keep them secure... like not connecting them to the network.

There were actually a few scares a while back when Microsoft started "upgrading" systems forcibly as though they were system patches.

I know I pull on a Depends any time anyone rolls out a software update on anything. There is a lot of cursing for the first few days as I look for stuff that has disappeared because someone wants to sell it to me again. Microsoft and Samsung I'm looking at YOU!

I can believe Disney has carbon fiber punch cards for the Tiki Room in their archives somewhere. That's an 80's tech version of an upgrade.
~NM

hpyhnt 1000

A particularly good angle of the lagoon and laser effects from the 4th of July tag last night. Safe to say the show designers have been getting their money's worth out of those new lasers that were added a few years ago.

It's also a great example of just how much more could be done for a nighttime show on the lagoon WITHOUT defaulting to projections and IP everywhere. The next evening show at Epcot (interim or permanent) should takes its cue from RoE and RoL and be more than just another Disney clip show. Improve the infrastructure that is already there - new fountain jets, updated Syncrolights, new pavilion rim lighting with full spectrum LED floods, new fire effects while keeping the lagoon torches - and wrap it in a new flowing soundtrack. Certainly there is room for projection mapping to enhance the show (older versions of IllumiNations actually did to a degree) but in moderation.

Let MK have the projection clip show, and let DHS have the "hot new IPs" one. Keep Epcot's show unique, original, and playing to its strengths: lasers, orchestral score, grand fountains, high and low level pyro - all done in an immersive theater-in-the-round setting.

jrhwdw

A particularly good angle of the lagoon and laser effects from the 4th of July tag last night. Safe to say the show designers have been getting their money's worth out of those new lasers that were added a few years ago.

It's also a great example of just how much more could be done for a nighttime show on the lagoon WITHOUT defaulting to projections and IP everywhere. The next evening show at Epcot (interim or permanent) should takes its cue from RoE and RoL and be more than just another Disney clip show. Improve the infrastructure that is already there - new fountain jets, updated Syncrolights, new pavilion rim lighting with full spectrum LED floods, new fire effects while keeping the lagoon torches - and wrap it in a new flowing soundtrack. Certainly there is room for projection mapping to enhance the show (older versions of IllumiNations actually did to a degree) but in moderation.

Let MK have the projection clip show, and let DHS have the "hot new IPs" one. Keep Epcot's show unique, original, and playing to its strengths: lasers, orchestral score, grand fountains, high and low level pyro - all done in an immersive theater-in-the-round setting.

ROE was ready for July 4th, even after the storms!

As for the interim show, Anything less than last night should be unacceptable. And that's before the tag! They can and should do it right!

Stripes

That seems to be the thinking.
Is the purpose of the interim show to take the existing barges out of service to refurbish them for the new show? I hope not, but that would seem like a logical explanation.

Btw Martin, do you know how many fountains are used in today's Illuminations? Still no chance the permanent show gets a WOC setup?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is the purpose of the interim show to take the existing barges out of service to refurbish them for the new show? I hope not, but that would seem like a logical explanation.

Btw Martin, do you know how many fountains are used in today's Illuminations? Still no chance the permanent show gets a WOC setup?
I doubt it.

Anyway, Uni now has it :)

BTW an interim show isn’t confirmed yet but is looking likely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom