Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

JohnD

Advertisement
I love RoE but the thing I will miss most is actually in the show introduction. When the announcer says "Reflections of Earth" then blows out the torches around WSC was a complete surprise to me first time I saw the show and remains my favorite part. Yeah I know, here's this massive fireworks and fire show with awesome score and my favorite thing is that?? Yep! For me it sets the whole tone and I will never forget the first time I saw it. I'm told I had a jaw drop moment when it happened.
ETA: I hope it's still going during our trip coming in the next couple of months.
I hope they still do the torches with the modern music before the new show (I have the tracks in a playlist) with them going dark as the show starts.

FullSailDan

Since the HD upgrade I’m not sure. Originally yes, with QuickTime files.

Wishes was still running WindowsME.
There are a lot of legacy systems within P&R that just can't be upgraded without requiring software or utilities to be completely re-written. Rest assured measures are taken to keep them secure... like not connecting them to the network.

There were actually a few scares a while back when Microsoft started "upgrading" systems forcibly as though they were system patches.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
There are a lot of legacy systems within P&R that just can't be upgraded without requiring software or utilities to be completely re-written. Rest assured measures are taken to keep them secure... like not connecting them to the network.

There were actually a few scares a while back when Microsoft started "upgrading" systems forcibly as though they were system patches.
Oh absolutely. IIRC a lot of the legacy DCM controllers (touchscreens) and GPRCS that ran the original EPCOT attractions were replaced as they failed because they couldn’t be replaced since parts weren’t available. Same for the Small World lighting system. But we digress!

Pixieish

When it comes to Microsoft, anyone in their right mind knows to remain on the previous operating system before the new operating system is thoroughly vetted.
Yep. I just finally moved up to Windows 10 Pro in April because I couldn't find a motherboard replacement for my other computer. All our other devices are Apple, but until I win the lottery...Windows computer it is.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
Aren't old Animatronics still running on the spinning-drum style control systems? Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's the oldest equivalent of Punch cards I'd imagine still in use today.
To be honest, the only thing left that’s close to "legacy" is the JC, and I’d be surprised if even that didn’t have its show systems updated.

Ninja Mom

I know I pull on a Depends any time anyone rolls out a software update on anything. There is a lot of cursing for the first few days as I look for stuff that has disappeared because someone wants to sell it to me again. Microsoft and Samsung I'm looking at YOU!

I can believe Disney has carbon fiber punch cards for the Tiki Room in their archives somewhere. That's an 80's tech version of an upgrade.
~NM

Top Bottom