• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

AJH219

RoE went from oohh ahhh inspiring (25 years ago) , to ehh ohh meh (current), this is played...
Anyone who thinks some boring mediocre fireworks being shot off to some forgetable classical music is better than Reflections of Earth has the most basic taste in the world. Wow. Literally how can you think something 25 years ago is better than the inspiring and majestic Reflections of Earth. My brain cannot even comprehend. I'm actually speechless, if that's possible. And I ALWAYS have something to say lol

rle4lunch

Advertisement
RoE went from oohh ahhh inspiring (25 years ago) , to ehh ohh meh (current), this is played...
Agreed. If there's anything to fix with RoE, it's the middle portion. If you aren't up against the lagoon, you'll miss out on the globe doing its thing and the fountains. If there could be stuff closer or bigger, that'd probably fix a lot of the issues people have with it.

There was a very nice British couple next to me last year, super tall guy and short girl. When it got to the middle section, the girlfriend asked "what's going on?" to which the guy answered, "you aren't missing much, just some water and a video". Kinda sums it up.

Without getting into specifics, will this "temporary" show bring some new tech with it? Something more then "just" fireworks and lasers?
Yup... This, x1000.

I really wish that RoL would've had the payoff it promised in the early talk about it. When we saw it I kept waiting for the 'WOW' to happen, never did. It was quite the letdown, considering new nighttime shows usually really impressive me the first few viewings. I didn't get that at all with RoL, and I hadn't gotten that from ROE in 30 years.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

Anyone who thinks some boring mediocre fireworks being shot off to some forgetable classical music is better than Reflections of Earth has the most basic taste in the world. Wow. Literally how can you think something 25 years ago is better than the inspiring and majestic Reflections of Earth. My brain cannot even comprehend. I'm actually speechless, if that's possible. And I ALWAYS have something to say lol
really? lol... Did you ever watch the show when it was new in the 80's and revamped in the 90's?

and... are you really that aghast at my opinion, or are you just playing up the dramatics?

AJH219

really? lol... Did you ever watch the show when it was new in the 80's and revamped in the 90's?

and... are you really that aghast at my opinion, or are you just playing up the dramatics?
I wasn't even alive in the 80s, so I sadly didn't get the chance to see it. But every video I've seen of the 90s version bored me to tears. Maybe you to be there? So really I don't even know if I have a right to pass judgement

rle4lunch

I wasn't even alive in the 80s, so I sadly didn't get the chance to see it. But every video I've seen of the 90s version bored me to tears. Maybe you to be there? So really I don't even know if I have a right to pass judgement
granted, when I saw it new in the 80's I was around 8-10 years old, then once more in the 90's. When I started going back to WDW in the 2000's and realized it was the same basic show from a generation ago, well, the luster wore off completely.

ROE isn't the MSELP, and it sure as heck doesn't have the lasting effect that it 'thinks' it has. Now, whenever we visit Epcot, we watch the first 5 minutes and then start heading for the monorail. So done with the current/former/original rendition of this show...

mikejs78

Premium Member
I didn't get that at all with RoL, and I hadn't gotten that from ROE in 30 years.
You got to see RoE 11 years before it debuted? I didn't even know they had been working on it for so long! Wow, did a bus driver hook you up?

On a serious note, Illuminations debuted 30 years ago. Illuminations: Reflections of Earth (a completely different show) debuted in 1999. In between were two versions of Illuminations 25 (also a different show). The new show will also likely be called Illuminations with a subtitle (I think it's been said here it may be Illumimatioms: Windows of the World. All different shows that just share a name.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

You got to see RoE 11 years before it debuted? I didn't even know they had been working on it for so long! Wow, did a bus driver hook you up?
Back when it was illuminations. 75% same show, just repurposed to ROE with some new lighting and different score and narration. Same message tho.

Biff215

granted, when I saw it new in the 80's I was around 8-10 years old, then once more in the 90's. When I started going back to WDW in the 2000's and realized it was the same basic show from a generation ago, well, the luster wore off completely.

ROE isn't the MSELP, and it sure as heck doesn't have the lasting effect that it 'thinks' it has. Now, whenever we visit Epcot, we watch the first 5 minutes and then start heading for the monorail. So done with the current/former/original rendition of this show...
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but RoE for me is the best nighttime show I’ve ever seen in WDW over the 30+ years I’ve been visiting. Could it use an update (or replacement) now after almost 20 years? Sure. But there is real concern whether or not it’s successor will be anywhere near as good. Don’t think I’m alone in thinking that.

I first saw it in February 2000 and still see it at least twice every annual trip. Sure the middle is slower with less pyro, but it’s a critical part of the story and builds up excitement as we approach the finale. RoE just has heart that I think many newer shows lack.

I just hope this “temporary” show is worth losing RoE. Guess we’ll see.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
Since you admit to never having actually seen it, original IllumiNations was as awe inspiring as as state of the art as RoE was in 1999.

And let’s face it, RoE is nowhere near as impressive as it was even ten years ago.

AJH219

Since you admit to never having actually seen it, original IllumiNations was as awe inspiring as as state of the art as RoE was in 1999.

And let’s face it, RoE is nowhere near as impressive as it was even ten years ago.
Heck, even five years ago. The other night the finale only had three shells exploding, like what’s the heck?? Combined with faulty equipment and all it’s just time to kill this show now

MansionButler84

Most said that about losing Wishes for HEA as well. We can only hope the next show is a step above with many wow moments
I don’t have much info about the forthcoming show, but interim shows frighten me. I’d love to be surprised like Symphony in the Stars, but then I remember Jungle Book Alive with Magic.

The 2020 show has wonderful tech (if it all works) and should have gorgeous visuals. We will how the soundtrack is.

mnelson3

I don’t have much info about the forthcoming show, but interim shows frighten me. I’d love to be surprised like Symphony in the Stars, but then I remember Jungle Book Alive with Magic.

The 2020 show has wonderful tech (if it all works) and should have gorgeous visuals. We will how the soundtrack is.
Any idea when the next show “interim” will get announced?

YorkshireT

When I first saw RoE in 2016 (yes I'd never seen it before then) I couldn't believe how poor it was compared to the old Epcot fireworks where they lit up all the countries. I reckon half as many fireworks went up. The ball is too small to be impactful.
Rubbish.

GhostHost1000

The fact that you even mentioned jungle book alive in this convo scares me lol

Top Bottom