• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
Yeah definitely. Those existing gates are really dumb because they have to swing out which means they have to be set back from the train. I think Disney chose that simply because it was what they know, they're the same type of gates used on all the attractions. Those outside platforms are so narrow so any small amount of space would help.

It's probably worth noting there's a lot of reluctance on Disney's part in upgrading the MK station. It's not ADA accessible and from what I understand if they do anything too significant they lose their grandfathered status and would have to make it accessible. There's also lead paint (and probably other stuff too) which makes it difficult to do work on it. When they cut out the existing gates for the new automatic ones they had to seal off the whole area and send guys in with hazmat suits just to strip a way a 1/2 inch section of paint where the cuts were going to be made.
Wait how is it not ADA accessible? And I didn’t know that about the paint, very interesting. I’m really curious the plans of the whole thing, honestly seems better if they upgraded everything including the lines and somehow do major remodeling at the contemporary. But we all know that wouldn’t happen. I do however think they would consider extending the stations for them to be longer.

JoeCamel

Advertisement
Wait how is it not ADA accessible? And I didn’t know that about the paint, very interesting. I’m really curious the plans of the whole thing, honestly seems better if they upgraded everything including the lines and somehow do major remodeling at the contemporary. But we all know that wouldn’t happen. I do however think they would consider extending the stations for them to be longer.
I think the ramps are too steep. People push chairs up them all the time but they struggle. Person in a chair alone wouldn't make it I fear.Ramp should have no more than 1 inch rise per foot of run if I recall. How about one of the resident architects chime in with current info?

s8film40

I think the ramps are too steep. People push chairs up them all the time but they struggle. Person in a chair alone wouldn't make it I fear.Ramp should have no more than 1 inch rise per foot of run if I recall. How about one of the resident architects chime in with current info?
Yep, and there also should be breaks at certain intervals. You can actually see the difference side by side at TTC where the Epcot ramp is right along side the Express exit ramp.

nace888

The only possible way to expand capacity *I* could think of, is to remove the center bench. You open the cabin and spread out the guests more evenly. Obviously height cannot be changed due to the Contemporary, Length of cars or trains cannot be changed as cars already have tight clearance on switches, and stations will need to be longer and Shop will need to be expanded to hold longer trains or longer cars. The center bench removal seems logical to me.

Disney obviously built the system initially with expansion in mind, but have kinda bit themselves in the rear as there's no way to expand anything now. Length, height, etc. It would take a WHOLE LOT of work to make longer trains even remotely fit on the system properly.

monothingie

Unscrupulous Mean Girl Man since 2005
Premium Member
Considering this thread come from a rumor and has no basis in fact I would guess the 4th of never?
You don’t implement an automation system and conduct a 10 year refurb and paint job on the fleet if you're going to get rid of them in 4-5 years. These trains have at minimum another 10-15 years of life left.

nace888

You don’t implement an automation system and conduct a 10 year refurb and paint job on the fleet if you're going to get rid of them in 4-5 years. These trains have at minimum another 10-15 years of life left.
Who said it was a 10 year refurb?

Macca250

Not gonna lie, I've been watching the resort line monorails since I got down here yesterday and they've been looking really, really good.
Who let this guy in? Just FYI, any posts which do not, at a minimum, include at least one of the following will be deleted by a moderator:

1. A reference to Walt turning in his grave
2. Suggesting that Disney is destroying the resort by filling it with IP
3. A request for Bob Iger to leave the company immediately
4. Starting a petition for the Dreamcatcher to be reinstalled
5. Getting confused when you remember that Rapunzel’s Tower was constructed for restrooms
6. Sharing frustrations that FP+ has made the queue for Spaceship Earth longer than Space Mountain (thank the Phoenicians!)
7. Wondering why the Seven Dwarf’s Mine Train took longer to build than civilisation itself
8. Feeling disappointed that the Yeti is still broken and making demands for the ride to be demolished
9. Making a comment that Universal is better than Disney, yet failing to acknowledge that they can’t make rides without screens anymore and don’t recognise that Universal Studios Florida is as disjointed as Dinoland USA
10. Getting annoyed that Hollywood Studios doesn’t have a recognised icon within the park’s hub, but also feeling relieved that the big a$$ hat is gone
11. Hoping Bob Iger will leave the company immediately
12. Worrying about the moral implications of MagicBands and whether Disney knows when you take a whizz

trainplane3

Who let this guy in? Just FYI, any posts which do not, at a minimum, include at least one of the following will be deleted by a moderator:

1. A reference to Walt turning in his grave
2. Suggesting that Disney is destroying the resort by filling it with IP
3. A request for Bob Iger to leave the company immediately
4. Starting a petition for the Dreamcatcher to be reinstalled
5. Getting confused when you remember that Rapunzel’s Tower was constructed for restrooms
6. Sharing frustrations that FP+ has made the queue for Spaceship Earth longer than Space Mountain (thank the Phoenicians!)
7. Wondering why the Seven Dwarf’s Mine Train took longer to build than civilisation itself
8. Feeling disappointed that the Yeti is still broken and making demands for the ride to be demolished
9. Making a comment that Universal is better than Disney, yet failing to acknowledge that they can’t make rides without screens anymore and don’t recognise that Universal Studios Florida is as disjointed as Dinoland USA
10. Getting annoyed that Hollywood Studios doesn’t have a recognised icon within the park’s hub, but also feeling relieved that the big a$$ hat is gone
11. Hoping Bob Iger will leave the company immediately
12. Worrying about the moral implications of MagicBands and whether Disney knows when you take a whizz
:banghead:

:D
I was ready to make fun of them but I was pleasantly surprised. Time to see what they're like inside tomorrow.

Disone

No kidding... some folks post some pretty edgy photos too...
View attachment 321276
lol. Here are the originals. These of Orange were taken June 22 2017. Orange still looks good but isn't quite as shiny now. And oddly not all the paint jobs have been standing up as well as Orange's as. Gold was photo graphed here September 2017. Imo, gold did not turn out as well as Orange. Today the stripe is fine on both but Orange base of white just gleams better. But in general the fleet does look better. I know some mechanical stuff are being done to them, that's clearly evident when you see them backstage (lime is back there now) in the maintenance bay, parts are missing and removed. But I don't know how much account work is actually being done and how long its intended to last.
20170622_134131_HDR.jpg20170622_134208_HDR.jpg20170622_134158.jpg20170916_170020.jpg20170916_170026.jpg20170916_170034.jpg

creathir

Monorail and PeopleMover Fanatic
Premium Member
lol. Here are the originals. These of Orange were taken June 22 2017. Orange still looks good but isn't quite as shiny now. And oddly not all the paint jobs have been standing up as well as Orange's as. Gold was photo graphed here September 2017. Imo, gold did not turn out as well as Orange. Today the stripe is fine on both but Orange base of white just gleams better. But in general the fleet does look better. I know some mechanical stuff are being done to them, that's clearly evident when you see them backstage (lime is back there now) in the maintenance bay, parts are missing and removed. But I don't know how much account work is actually being done and how long its intended to last.
View attachment 321404View attachment 321405View attachment 321406View attachment 321409View attachment 321410View attachment 321411
It’s interesting how some of them hold up better than others.

Being from Texas, I’m well aware of the power of the summer sun, I’m sure Florida’s is no different.

Or maybe it’s a different guy back in the painting booth, and it’s not as even of a technique between the different cast members.

Figment2005

It’s interesting how some of them hold up better than others.

Being from Texas, I’m well aware of the power of the summer sun, I’m sure Florida’s is no different.

Or maybe it’s a different guy back in the painting booth, and it’s not as even of a technique between the different cast members.
Or it could be one was clean and the other dirty.

Top Bottom