Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

Lensman

I think it’s something that would be nice but not hugely necessary. One of the advantages I could see is when loading, a lot of people don’t like to walk all the way down to the ends of the platform and block the isles. This way people could pile into the middle and still work their way down. Could also help for loading more last minute guests since the middle would even out more you could jump on even if it’s crowded and know that people will move down.
Yeah, it's a bit of an advantage for the last minute guest but with my "WDW transit" hat on, I'm not going to spend $100 million for them and instead will just have them board the next train. Also, am I imagining things or do the cast members not really allow boarding at the last minute? Mostly I'd be looking to optimize for MK closing anyway.

I do wonder about the other case you mention about people not walking all the way down to the end. I don't know whether it's because of my years of experience optimizing my NYC subway ride, but I'm trained to take advantage of these cases. On the subway I will almost always walk to the end of the platform to get the highest probability of getting a seat or at least not have to stare at someone's armpit. On the monorail, I will walk down as far as I can in the "holding corrals" until the path is blocked, then when the corrals open I will take a sharp turn and head to the end.

Good observations, though! Can't wait to hear from others!

s8film40

Yeah, it's a bit of an advantage for the last minute guest but with my "WDW transit" hat on, I'm not going to spend $100 million for them and instead will just have them board the next train. Also, am I imagining things or do the cast members not really allow boarding at the last minute? Mostly I'd be looking to optimize for MK closing anyway.

I do wonder about the other case you mention about people not walking all the way down to the end. I don't know whether it's because of my years of experience optimizing my NYC subway ride, but I'm trained to take advantage of these cases. On the subway I will almost always walk to the end of the platform to get the highest probability of getting a seat or at least not have to stare at someone's armpit. On the monorail, I will walk down as far as I can in the "holding corrals" until the path is blocked, then when the corrals open I will take a sharp turn and head to the end.

Good observations, though! Can't wait to hear from others!
Yeah the cast members will cut the line, mostly because those last guests often realize the middle cars are full and will then start walking all the way down as they notice each car is less and less crowded.

Like I said though I think a station redesign would accomplish the same thing and cost a lot less. I agree I wouldn’t really consider trying to redesign the system for that small benefit.

As for walking down to the last car, even if you’re aware of that issue and want to take advantage of it you often can’t as people stop in the path and there’s just no way to get down there. This results in the pretty much standard practice for night MK monorail cast members screaming at everyone to go all the way down.

nace888

Yeah the cast members will cut the line, mostly because those last guests often realize the middle cars are full and will then start walking all the way down as they notice each car is less and less crowded.

Like I said though I think a station redesign would accomplish the same thing and cost a lot less. I agree I wouldn’t really consider trying to redesign the system for that small benefit.

As for walking down to the last car, even if you’re aware of that issue and want to take advantage of it you often can’t as people stop in the path and there’s just no way to get down there. This results in the pretty much standard practice for night MK monorail cast members screaming at everyone to go all the way down.
Guilty as charged...

I wonder though, with the Innovia 200s being SMALLER than the Innovia 300s, could the 200s still be designed with a somewhat narrow walkway on one side? It would be kinda tight, BUT it may also open up the space a little bit. ECVs and Strollers would have to stay in the car, but single guests could slide through if needed...

That's why I'd also designed my Mark VIII design with half walls on the ends of the cars, I feel like it could feel more open that way, and open up airflow too...

s8film40

Guilty as charged...

I wonder though, with the Innovia 200s being SMALLER than the Innovia 300s, could the 200s still be designed with a somewhat narrow walkway on one side? It would be kinda tight, BUT it may also open up the space a little bit. ECVs and Strollers would have to stay in the car, but single guests could slide through if needed...

That's why I'd also designed my Mark VIII design with half walls on the ends of the cars, I feel like it could feel more open that way, and open up airflow too...
I think it would be so small it would just end being something for people to get stuck in. I would be interested to see if someone could find a way to make a walkthrough fit, but I'm kind of skeptical it would work.

I like your idea of half walls opening up the area above the wheels to make it more open. I'm not sure where you would move the resistors to though. Perhaps there would be a better solution for storing or reusing the energy instead? It might be one of those things that's not worth how complicated it would be, but it would be a nice touch if someone figured out a way to make it work.

nace888

I think it would be so small it would just end being something for people to get stuck in. I would be interested to see if someone could find a way to make a walkthrough fit, but I'm kind of skeptical it would work.

I like your idea of half walls opening up the area above the wheels to make it more open. I'm not sure where you would move the resistors to though. Perhaps there would be a better solution for storing or reusing the energy instead? It might be one of those things that's not worth how complicated it would be, but it would be a nice touch if someone figured out a way to make it work.
That's the only reason I didn't continue pushing that concept with half walls. While it could be functional for airflow, evacuations and such, I don't know how it could be moved around. To be honest, I think just removing the center benches may open it up... If Disney's purchase from Bombardier is true (which I doubt it is at this time), then I'd love to see what both companies come up with together for the new series of Disney trains.

Someone INSISTED that Bombardier no longer made monorails, but even I KNOW that's not true. I guess the better question would be if they continued the Innovia 200 series though, as each new system inherently uses the 300 series, not the 200s.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
How old are the current monorails? Me thinks this shouldn't be a tedious process seeing that the older trains were accomplished. Unless there are advanced safety and operation equipment that is only available on new trains, that would require a rework of the current track systems?

maxairmike

I want to say I did some napkin math with specs I found on the 300 bogey that allows the walkthrough design and thought that based on the simple 200 train specs I could find it should theoretically be possible to get that in if they really wanted to with some modification, but it would be extremely tight. I was probably wrong, though, and didn't take enough into account. I'm too lazy to try and find those spec sheets again at the moment, though. lol

The idea of half walls is an interesting one, and I think that would be a nice touch if they couldn't open it up completely.

nace888

I want to say I did some napkin math with specs I found on the 300 bogey that allows the walkthrough design and thought that based on the simple 200 train specs I could find it should theoretically be possible to get that in if they really wanted to with some modification, but it would be extremely tight. I was probably wrong, though, and didn't take enough into account. I'm too lazy to try and find those spec sheets again at the moment, though. lol

The idea of half walls is an interesting one, and I think that would be a nice touch if they couldn't open it up completely.
It would be far too narrow, but I was hoping.

Timon

The drive wheels/motor on the Mark VI/Innovia 200 (Las Vegas) are fixed to the Chassis as a single tire and side mounted motor. This transmits a rougher ride to the passengers and tends to rock on sharper turns. The Innovia 300 uses a swiveling "truck" and two smaller drive wheels with a wheel mounted motor, maybe a "lite" version for a new Innovia 200.2 Disney train could be built. While not small enough for a car to car passage way they could lower maintenance costs, provide a better ride suspension and maybe gain a few interior inches length-wise for each car.
LVM M-VI 10 - Drive train.JPG

(Above - Innovia 200 drive train "fixed to chassis")

Bombardier INNOVIA 300 - Bogie-Motor 02.jpg

(Above - Innovia 300 removable "truck" - black part )

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
I think it’s something that would be nice but not hugely necessary. One of the advantages I could see is when loading, a lot of people don’t like to walk all the way down to the ends of the platform and block the isles. This way people could pile into the middle and still work their way down. Could also help for loading more last minute guests since the middle would even out more you could jump on even if it’s crowded and know that people will move down.

I think you could get the same benefit though from redesigning the stations. Especially in the case of the MK station. That station is horrible and especially so since they use it in reverse of the way it was designed and originally used. The unload platform just wasn’t designed for those type of crowds. I have no idea why someone hasn’t switched that back.

Ok i knew i wasnt going crazy when i thought they had it the other way around when i was a kid. that being said, do you think change in the loading areas (the gates) into sliding doors would help with managing some of it? i was thinkng it could push the loading doors closer to the monorail and have more space in the standby areas.

s8film40

Ok i knew i wasnt going crazy when i thought they had it the other way around when i was a kid. that being said, do you think change in the loading areas (the gates) into sliding doors would help with managing some of it? i was thinkng it could push the loading doors closer to the monorail and have more space in the standby areas.
Yeah definitely. Those existing gates are really dumb because they have to swing out which means they have to be set back from the train. I think Disney chose that simply because it was what they know, they're the same type of gates used on all the attractions. Those outside platforms are so narrow so any small amount of space would help.

It's probably worth noting there's a lot of reluctance on Disney's part in upgrading the MK station. It's not ADA accessible and from what I understand if they do anything too significant they lose their grandfathered status and would have to make it accessible. There's also lead paint (and probably other stuff too) which makes it difficult to do work on it. When they cut out the existing gates for the new automatic ones they had to seal off the whole area and send guys in with hazmat suits just to strip a way a 1/2 inch section of paint where the cuts were going to be made.

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
Yeah definitely. Those existing gates are really dumb because they have to swing out which means they have to be set back from the train. I think Disney chose that simply because it was what they know, they're the same type of gates used on all the attractions. Those outside platforms are so narrow so any small amount of space would help.

It's probably worth noting there's a lot of reluctance on Disney's part in upgrading the MK station. It's not ADA accessible and from what I understand if they do anything too significant they lose their grandfathered status and would have to make it accessible. There's also lead paint (and probably other stuff too) which makes it difficult to do work on it. When they cut out the existing gates for the new automatic ones they had to seal off the whole area and send guys in with hazmat suits just to strip a way a 1/2 inch section of paint where the cuts were going to be made.
Wait how is it not ADA accessible? And I didn’t know that about the paint, very interesting. I’m really curious the plans of the whole thing, honestly seems better if they upgraded everything including the lines and somehow do major remodeling at the contemporary. But we all know that wouldn’t happen. I do however think they would consider extending the stations for them to be longer.

JoeCamel

Wait how is it not ADA accessible? And I didn’t know that about the paint, very interesting. I’m really curious the plans of the whole thing, honestly seems better if they upgraded everything including the lines and somehow do major remodeling at the contemporary. But we all know that wouldn’t happen. I do however think they would consider extending the stations for them to be longer.
I think the ramps are too steep. People push chairs up them all the time but they struggle. Person in a chair alone wouldn't make it I fear.Ramp should have no more than 1 inch rise per foot of run if I recall. How about one of the resident architects chime in with current info?

s8film40

I think the ramps are too steep. People push chairs up them all the time but they struggle. Person in a chair alone wouldn't make it I fear.Ramp should have no more than 1 inch rise per foot of run if I recall. How about one of the resident architects chime in with current info?
Yep, and there also should be breaks at certain intervals. You can actually see the difference side by side at TTC where the Epcot ramp is right along side the Express exit ramp.

nace888

The only possible way to expand capacity *I* could think of, is to remove the center bench. You open the cabin and spread out the guests more evenly. Obviously height cannot be changed due to the Contemporary, Length of cars or trains cannot be changed as cars already have tight clearance on switches, and stations will need to be longer and Shop will need to be expanded to hold longer trains or longer cars. The center bench removal seems logical to me.

Disney obviously built the system initially with expansion in mind, but have kinda bit themselves in the rear as there's no way to expand anything now. Length, height, etc. It would take a WHOLE LOT of work to make longer trains even remotely fit on the system properly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom