Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

Missing20K

I think the ramps are too steep. People push chairs up them all the time but they struggle. Person in a chair alone wouldn't make it I fear.Ramp should have no more than 1 inch rise per foot of run if I recall. How about one of the resident architects chime in with current info?

Correct. 1 inch of rise for every foot of run. No more than 30 inches of rise until one must have a landing of a minimum 5 feet in length and, if the ramp changes direction, the landing must also be a minimum of 5 feet in width.

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
not sure if they paint these the same as cars but paint is super particular... full curing time is about 1-2 months and that is also not allowing wax onto the paint. you're suppose to let it settle in and if they don't follow that and just pressure wash clean them each night right after painting them then that could be why certain colors seem to hold up better than others. I'm stupid particular with the paint on my car so i know dumb stuff like this.

s8film40

Yes it should have been wholly replaced, but the guest who cut the square out in the first place should be trespassed.
I hadn't even considered that, I suppose that's possible that a guest did it. I figured a hatch came down and cut it and they replaced just that part.

s8film40

It’s still quite valid.
Well my point is it's still a rumor. His comment was the one shred of information that made this more substantial than that. Without an update since the merger which has resulted in cuts across the company, we're really back to where we started, to this being a mix of rumor and wishful thinking.

jbolen2

Well my point is it's still a rumor. His comment was the one shred of information that made this more substantial than that. Without an update since the merger which has resulted in cuts across the company, we're really back to where we started, to this being a mix of rumor and wishful thinking.

A part of this happening has to be them doing the research and knowing it will take 3-5 years to take delivery of a new unit. They cant really kick the can down the road unless they planned on just running the current units until they die and axe the monorail system as a whole. The current fleet is only going to wear down more and more with the more budget cuts. The open doors whether they admit it or not wasn't good news.

s8film40

A part of this happening has to be them doing the research and knowing it will take 3-5 years to take delivery of a new unit. They cant really kick the can down the road unless they planned on just running the current units until they die and axe the monorail system as a whole. The current fleet is only going to wear down more and more with the more budget cuts. The open doors whether they admit it or not wasn't good news.
I totally agree something has to be done at some point. That something doesn't have to be new trains though. They've been overdue for new or refurbished trains for many years, I guess the only thing to wait and see is how far is too far for Disney.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I totally agree something has to be done at some point. That something doesn't have to be new trains though. They've been overdue for new or refurbished trains for many years, I guess the only thing to wait and see is how far is too far for Disney.

With all the work that has been going on: automation completion, cosmetic and systems rehab of the trains, beam maintenance, etc. What is the pressing urgency to replace, other than the current trains are old. Yes there are mechanical issues that crop up (and I think of lot of this had to deal with the growing pains of the automation system), and compared to the current generation fo Bombardier trains they are not as efficient or laid out as well; but they do the job and for the most part do it reliably. Yeah you had the door issue, but that's due to the inherent issue with the design of the train from day 1 coupled with the new train controls.

The thing is, the items that people were complaining about in 2008 versus 2018 are basically the same thing. The condition of the interior of the cabs are more or less the same as they were 10-15 years ago. It hasn't gotten any worse, maybe even a little better.

I just don't see how new trains can be justified at this point, especially after everything that has been invested into these current trains to ensure they can run for another 10 years.

montyz81

I thought there was just as valid a rumor that the entire system would be removed. My guess is that if the Gondola system works well for them financially, then the monorail to gondola replacement coast would be more then justified. Also, I’ve seen ski mountains run the same chairlift systems for well over 40 years without substantial cost updates. My bet is that we will see gondolas going through the Contemporary in about 10 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom