New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

JLipnick

How expensive would it be to build just building facades on the opposite side of the walkway? It can't be that much in the grand scheme of things. and could the stores have back entrances? i would think that the amount of money from merchandise and food they would lose by sending even a third of the traffic through the bypass would more than pay for them to do this right. i would bet that at least 25% of people leaving MK stop in the stores and with even 25% of those people buying something, that adds up very quickly. I know we rarely exit the park without stopping and buying something whether it is a small snack at the candy shop or something in the store.

dstrawn9889

How expensive would it be to build just building facades on the opposite side of the walkway? It can't be that much in the grand scheme of things. and could the stores have back entrances? i would think that the amount of money from merchandise and food they would lose by sending even a third of the traffic through the bypass would more than pay for them to do this right. i would bet that at least 25% of people leaving MK stop in the stores and with even 25% of those people buying something, that adds up very quickly. I know we rarely exit the park without stopping and buying something whether it is a small snack at the candy shop or something in the store.
i would shudder to think of all the shops on the east side of MainStreet closed for renovations to remove storerooms, mgrs offoces, breakrooms and such to reach the back wall and punch through doorways that would have to be monitored when the bypass is closed...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
i would shudder to think of all the shops on the east side of MainStreet closed for renovations to remove storerooms, mgrs offoces, breakrooms and such to reach the back wall and punch through doorways that would have to be monitored when the bypass is closed...

I think, if they did the bypass right, it wouldn't have to be closed.

lazyboy97o

Why does it have to be access into the existing shops? Why not do smaller shops again and have it open every day?

The Visionary Soul

Because they're all completely lost. The only shops you would be able to access are really the Chapeau and the Jewelry Store anyway. Both of those stores are in serious need of an update and expansion as well.

dstrawn9889

mainstreet_zps2b9fece8.png

not really a good place to punch through anywhere, now that you mention that i was lost... chapeu, main street confectionary, jeweler, main street cinemas, the dumstarbucks. all have outbuildings and crap that would have to be relocated downstairs i would imagine

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It works in Paris. Those who want to just leave will leave despite having store access.

Those who want to shop will do so anyway. And do so via exiting on MSUSA.

Regarding the decor, so long as any additions are period it will be a nicely dressed corridor. They don't want people stopping, pausing to take photos, crossing the pathway. It is an exit route for the masses so they can get to the monorail line quicker :)

Any un themed back walls visible will be bad show. Things need to be hidden. But period advertising, again like MSUSA of DLP and proper lamposts to fit the theme should suffice to create an extension of and connect the Victorian gardens of the hub and Town Square.

Anything less though will be poor.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

The problem is that you just realized this. Never fall for marketing, Disney exists for only 1 thing... and it always did only exist for 1 thing.. to make money. Once you accept it, you will like Disney better.
But Disney hasn't always existed to make money. "We didnt go in this just to make money, you know".

More in general, before the eighties materialist cultural shift, many companies and individuals in general had other goals than just monetary fixation. DL and WDW were also once meant to satisfy personal hobbies and interests, were meant to serve the common good, were meant as places that would be fun and fulfilling to visit and work in. Many entrepeneurs wanted to build not just a bank account. But also a society, or fulfill personal missions. One can see a continuation of this in new media and technology, where many entrepeneurs have more goals in mind than just accumulation of capital.

The thought that WDW should be squeezed like a lemon for every drop, sucked dry for last blood and penny is recent.

Ignohippo

Those who want to shop will do so anyway. And do so via exiting on MSUSA.

First, you're forgetting all of those impulse purchases that they'll be completely losing out on – those people who don't think they need anything but will decide they want to stop in a shop just to look, will see a chotshky in the window or Little Johnny deciding he wants a cookie as you pass the bakery. If it's 5% of the people leaving, which I think it may be much more, that's an enormous amount of money they'll be losing.

Second, trying to get back up Main Street around closing is like a salmon trying to swim upstream. Most people will just decide it just isn't worth it and will go with crowd out the gate. Again, an enormous amount of cash to leave on the table.

Routing guests away from the shops at a time when the spending possibilities are at a maximum is completely ironic and hysterical given the billions TDO has spent on MM+ to try to maximize guest spending. It's especially funny when you think about how controversial and intrusive MM+ is, while just giving access to the shops and creating a classy and attractive corridor (a la Paris) would actually be a benefit to guests and a huge upgrade.

tl77

If the Main Street bypass was something that was open all day I would expect it to be themed as well as Main Street is, but if it's only opened at night, in the dark, as an exit route, then I can't see the point in spending a lot time and money on theming it. Street lights and billboards with lights on them are really all you need back there at night in the dark, and if they keep up addressing sightline issues like they have been around new Fantasyland I don't think there's anything to be concerned about

Tom

Beta Return
First, you're forgetting all of those impulse purchases that they'll be completely losing out on – those people who don't think they need anything but will decide they want to stop in a shop just to look, will see a chotshky in the window or Little Johnny deciding he wants a cookie as you pass the bakery. If it's 5% of the people leaving, which I think it may be much more, that's an enormous amount of money they'll be losing.

Second, trying to get back up Main Street around closing is like a salmon trying to swim upstream. Most people will just decide it just isn't worth it and will go with crowd out the gate. Again, an enormous amount of cash to leave on the table.

Routing guests away from the shops at a time when the spending possibilities are at a maximum is completely ironic and hysterical given the billions TDO has spent on MM+ to try to maximize guest spending. It's especially funny when you think about how controversial and intrusive MM+ is, while just giving access to the shops and creating a classy and attractive corridor (a la Paris) would actually be a benefit to guests and a huge upgrade.

They just want guests out of the park on nights like that. If the crowd size justifies opening that path, it means MSUSA is overflowing with guests and the rest of the park is backed up as well.

Operations needs the guests out so they can flip the park for tomorrow. Merch and F&B need to stock. Custodial needs to power wash. Maintenance needs to cycle rides.

At some point you just need to be able to empty the park and sacrifice some merch sales.

Ignohippo

If the Main Street bypass was something that was open all day I would expect it to be themed as well as Main Street is, but if it's only opened at night, in the dark, as an exit route, then I can't see the point in spending a lot time and money on theming it. Street lights and billboards with lights on them are really all you need back there at night in the dark, and if they keep up addressing sightline issues like they have been around new Fantasyland I don't think there's anything to be concerned about

There really isn't any reason not to have ot open all of the time if it were done right.

Ignohippo

They just want guests out of the park on nights like that. If the crowd size justifies opening that path, it means MSUSA is overflowing with guests and the rest of the park is backed up as well.

Operations needs the guests out so they can flip the park for tomorrow. Merch and F&B need to stock. Custodial needs to power wash. Maintenance needs to cycle rides.

At some point you just need to be able to empty the park and sacrifice some merch sales.

Understood completely but opening the shops in the back doesn't do anything to increase the time it takes for guests to leave the shops any more than the guests coming down the front of Main Street does.

Having some of the guests in the shops also helps to alleviate the crush of people waiting for the monorails or ferry boats and it also gets people off Main Street and this new bypass.

CrescentLake

I know this is stupid, but that area bothers me more than anything else in WDW. More than the Yeti or current state of Future World, it bothers me to see an unthemed building of that magnitude. I mean how much would it cost to fix the facade? Totally takes me out of it whenever I see it.

Again, stupid, but come on, fix the damn thing, exposed showbuildings are unacceptable. And while you're at it, Dumbo's showbuilding too.

Horizons1

I know this is stupid, but that area bothers me more than anything else in WDW. More than the Yeti or current state of Future World, it bothers me to see an unthemed building of that magnitude. I mean how much would it cost to fix the facade? Totally takes me out of it whenever I see it.

Again, stupid, but come on, fix the damn thing, exposed showbuildings are unacceptable. And while you're at it, Dumbo's showbuilding too.

Well the tree that WAS in front of this location helped to mask the back of those buildings, but that was recently ripped out. There WAS another large tree located right behind the green fence you see there. I'm not sure when it was cut down, but the stump remains there today. You have to be careful not to trip over it so one can reach the hub's sprinkler control.

tl77

There really isn't any reason not to have ot open all of the time if it were done right.

I certainly wouldn't mind if it was open all the time and looked great, but it now sounds like it's only something they will open during the parade and use as an exit at the end of the night, which would only be like a few hours a day

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom