New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

Ignohippo

I certainly wouldn't mind if it was open all the time and looked great, but it now sounds like it's only something they will open during the parade and use as an exit at the end of the night, which would only be like a few hours a day

Obviously. If it isn't a true "street", there's no reason to have it open unless it needs to be.

Fox&Hound

I appreciate the fact that Disney is not trying to put shops back there or access to existing shops. They are trying to get people out of the park SAFELY and if they loose some merchandise sales, so be it. I applaud them for putting guest safety above profits. Put some trees back there and some lighting and call it a day.

NormC

How expensive would it be to build just building facades on the opposite side of the walkway? It can't be that much in the grand scheme of things. and could the stores have back entrances? i would think that the amount of money from merchandise and food they would lose by sending even a third of the traffic through the bypass would more than pay for them to do this right. i would bet that at least 25% of people leaving MK stop in the stores and with even 25% of those people buying something, that adds up very quickly. I know we rarely exit the park without stopping and buying something whether it is a small snack at the candy shop or something in the store.
The ones that want to shop can just go up Main Street. The ones looking for a quick way out with cranky or sleeping children can take the bypass. In my experience the mass exodus after Wishes is exactly that: an exodus, get us out of here quickly.

doctornick

Obviously. If it isn't a true "street", there's no reason to have it open unless it needs to be.

Right. The majority of the time, this area wouldn't be needed. I'm expecting pleasant but minimal theming and it only being opened at busy times (parade/fireworks) when the outlet is needed. TDO won't want people using this when Main Street -- and its stores -- can handle the traffic.

The Visionary Soul

Actually, I believe that they dropped the ball on this one. They needed more than just a swift exit route after Wishes. They need a permanent arcade open at all times so they can use that as a permanent show ready corridor for guests to move around in during parades, bad weather, and maybe just if they want to stay out of the sun and in AC. And that arcade should have entrances to the shops and things, and have access to Center Street.

It's simply a matter of them building something that was cheaper and more limited in use than what was actually needed. (Though the parade route spur still interests me on why...)

The Visionary Soul

Do you think they are using reinforced concrete in this area so that emergency vehicles can utilize this new route to gain access to the hub?
No, reinforced concrete would not be necessary for normal emergency vehicles. It's only necessary for regular use of large vehicles and parades.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You know, it's as if the Ferengi have taken-over Disney - it's all about profit and gold-pressed latinum, and Iger is the Grand Nagus.

I was thinking more along the lines of Quark, The Grand Nagus wants steady streams of Profit instead of one time deals. Trouble is Disney does not follow rule #57 "Good Customers are as rare as Latinum, Treasure Them",

Disney prefers rule #10 'Greed is Eternal' also Rule #211 'Employees are rungs on the ladder of success, Don't be afraid to step on them"

Next Big Thing

They just want guests out of the park on nights like that. If the crowd size justifies opening that path, it means MSUSA is overflowing with guests and the rest of the park is backed up as well.

Operations needs the guests out so they can flip the park for tomorrow. Merch and F&B need to stock. Custodial needs to power wash. Maintenance needs to cycle rides.

At some point you just need to be able to empty the park and sacrifice some merch sales.
Yeah, but if people are only on MS and the rest of the park is closed, the only people who CAN'T get started doing that stuff are those working in the from of the park. Once the other lands are clear, stores close, etc around the park, they can start doing all of that. I just think they're leaving a lot of money on the table by not going all out with this and I don't think there's truly a valid excuse.

DisneyGentleman

Its horrible, it never showed that bad before they took out the trees. Now it really does stick out.
Ypmw4Vz.jpg

I think we are being too harsh - it can be fixed with just the right voiceover.

Imagine if you will a Jack Wagner-esque voice:

"And right here we have the perfect transition from the Main Street of Yesteryear to the Bathrooms of Tomorrow - we call it Metal OutbuildingLand, and it harkens back to the 1970s when all sorts of factories and warehouses were decked out in grey painted steel. And what's that I see over there? Well - heh heh - its a giant metal duct just peeking out at you. But don't pet the critters around here. They're bigger'n ole Mickey and they do like to bite!"

The Visionary Soul

whaaattt? you are saying the daily run of these light floats is comparable to a 56,000 lb. pumper/tank firetruck?
Umm... no. I'm saying that the weight of that truck would be the least of the park's worries if that became necessary to bring into the hub and the only way to do so was from that side. You don't build a path that is 5 times more expensive than a normal path to use once every 40 years (if even that.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom