New HitchHiking Ghosts Coming to WDW

Shadowdawn

i agree with this. If there is a photopass opportunity, then there would have to be a place to see the pics and purchase them, where would that go? Currently you step off the ride and pretty much right out the door, which I like.

They could put it in the old Keel Boat house. When I was young that was the "gift shop" for the attraction.

raven

To Raven:

How do you know all of this stuff about WDW? Im thinking that you're a cast member...

I've been a member on here since 2002. You learn a lot on here as you go. But yes, I am a CM as are many members here on the boards. But just because I am one doesn't give me infinate knowledge of everything Disney. The things I know come from being a very fortunate individual. :animwink:

whylightbulb

A Martin confirmation, followed by whylightbulb chiming in??

Mark this one down as "absolutely definitely positively happening".

As a side note... whylightbulb, I'd love to see you post more! :wave:
Thanks. I come on here from time to time but don't post much because I came dangerously close to being exposed back during the Potter days. Every once in a while I'll try to throw out hints if I can:)

PhilharMagician

Thanks. I come on here from time to time but don't post much because I came dangerously close to being exposed back during the Potter days. Every once in a while I'll try to throw out hints if I can:)

Thanks for the hints that you can give. :wave:

Is there a time frame for this? Maybe to be completed by the same time as the new queue?

Testtrack321

Wow. I am totally shocked and somewhat apalled by the tone of this thread. A new person wants to join in and share some info and he is instantly dumped on by multiple people. And what wasn't dumped on was picked apart over definitions. I woulden't blame Rum Pirate one bit if he took his ball and went home.

After a million threads on monorail expansions, 5th parks, new coasters, and other crazy rumors that people just post because they heard it on wikipedia or from a buss driver, you kinda get jaded.

What is different about this one is that...

1.) It wasn't crazy ambitious. It seemed plausible that something like this could be added.
2.) There was a plan of action described. Work was being done, a temporary effect was planned, then it would be turned on.
3.) It matched up with exterior work that is being done also. If they posted this about, say, the jailed Pirates at the end of PotC, then we'd have more doubts.

Bairstow

With today's technology, Disney could do some really amazing things with the Hitchhiking Ghosts concept. Using Kinect-like technology and projections, they could actually make the ghosts recognize where each person is in the vehicle and interact with them in exciting new ways. As long as they keep the ghosts the same, I'm totally up for a next gen re-do!

I was at CES in Vegas this past week and Intel had a little demo of tech exactly like this. Check out this video of it in action -- computer graphics interacting with physical objects. So cool!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/08/intel-oasis-firetrucks-dragons-and-trains-hands-on/

Unfortunately, adding all of that would mean replacing the ghost animatronics with a series of TV screens on a conveyor belt, so the effect would loose all sense of depth and be less convincing.

I realize that there are advantages to using projection/displays instead of real-life props and animatronics, but I cringe whenever they do it. To my way of thinking, the plastic fish in the submarine ride will always be more fun to look at than a dressed-up LCD monitor in a plastic box.

dweezil78

Unfortunately, adding all of that would mean replacing the ghost animatronics with a series of TV screens on a conveyor belt, so the effect would loose all sense of depth and be less convincing.

Nah, all you need is 1 projector per "mirror" tops. They make material that you can use on glass and mirrors that will pick up the image from the projector now, allowing you to have video on a transparent surface. Pretty neat stuff.

Here are some examples: http://www.dimeinc.com/projection on glass.html

Another cool example:

holographic_transparent_screen.jpg

sublimesting

It only makes sense that they would want to give you the opportunity to purchase a photo of their most popular ride. That is a cash cow that until now has been untapped. And where else on the ride could you possibly get a photo op? The only logical place is the hitchhikers but it really can't be done in their current state. Have you seen the new Jaapanese 3D hologram technology? It's very cool! Personally I would LOVE a HM gift shop. As a matter of fact all rides should have gift shops as it's pretty much our only way of getting unique merchandise. Now how can we get a POC photo op....

Bairstow

Yeah! have you seen Hatsune Miku - the holographic, animated Japanese pop star? Check this out and imagine the possibilities w/ the Hitchhiking Ghosts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXO7KGHtjI

Meh. Nothing new.
Gorillaz were using Musion Eyeliners half a decade ago. And better. Skip to 2:50 for a neat trick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_gnMOom7kE
http://www.eyeliner3d.com/
And none of these things are real holograms. We toss that term around without knowing what it means.

Testtrack321

Holographs- is a technique that allows the light scattered from an object to be recorded and later reconstructed so that it appears as if the object is in the same position relative to the recording medium as it was when recorded. (thanks wikipedia!)

NOTHING in the HM is a holograph, and this won't be either. It's a complex projection that's lifelike, similar to the ones in The Seas right now.

RSoxNo1

The effects used in Disaster and the Forbidden Journey queue are impressive effects that certainly have a place in the Haunted Mansion.

dweezil78

FYI, that's not a hologram or holographic image, just a CGI image projected onto a semi-translucent screen. It's best viewed from head-on, while from acute angles it loses its effectiveness.

-Rob

I know. I was just trying to stick with the content of this discussion. Should have clarified that it technically is not a real hologram. It's still neat nonetheless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom