New Hilton Hotel construction seen in Epcot

jt04

Woah...They are pretty far. I don't even think that would be visible from EPCOT.:shrug:

Being serious (for the moment). If you can't see those new time share deals in Bonnet Creek you shouln't be able to see the Astoria/Hilton buildings becaust I think the height is not that different and they are quite a bit further away.

OK back to CE mode.......:cool:

.......Punks

krankenstein

Being serious (for the moment). If you can't see those new time share deals in Bonnet Creek you shouln't be able to see the Astoria/Hilton buildings becaust I think the height is not that different and they are quite a bit further away.

.......Punks

Same here. However, if you will be able to see it.... :brick::dazzle::brick::dazzle:

EPCOT Explorer

.......Punks
I hope.
Same here. However, if you will be able to see it.... :brick::dazzle::brick::dazzle:
Good for the people who are staying there...Bad for theming.:dazzle:

WDW1974

One might point out that things like this were once huge no-nos with Disney.

You only saw what WED/WDI wanted you to see and visual intrusions were almost non-existant or kept to a minimum.

Sure you saw the Contemporary, but it was off behind Tomorrowland and was designed to blend in. Much the same as the Poly and Asian (if built) would have with Adventureland.

All of that went to hell when the Swan and Dolphin were built where the are located. They totally threw off the scale of World Showcase, and while they may be beautiful resorts they have no business being where they are.

But once they were built, the 'tude at Disney seemed to be one of 'aw, who cares?' ... and hence you now have ToT sticking up behind Japan and Morocco and the huge hanger buildings for Soarin sticking up and ruining the scale of Canada and UK.

Heck, you also see off-property timeshares, gas station and 7-11 signs and traffic lights while ostensibly being in far off Africa at DAK Lodge.

So it isn't that the rules no longer apply, so much as they threw the rulebook out.

EPCOT Explorer

You only saw what WED/WDI wanted you to see and visual intrusions were almost non-existant or kept to a minimum.

Sure you saw the Contemporary, but it was off behind Tomorrowland and was designed to blend in. Much the same as the Poly and Asian (if built) would have with Adventureland.

All of that went to hell when the Swan and Dolphin were built where the are located. They totally threw off the scale of World Showcase, and while they may be beautiful resorts they have no business being where they are.

But once they were built, the 'tude at Disney seemed to be one of 'aw, who cares?' ... and hence you now have ToT sticking up behind Japan and Morocco and the huge hanger buildings for Soarin sticking up and ruining the scale of Canada and UK.

Heck, you also see off-property timeshares, gas station and 7-11 signs and traffic lights while ostensibly being in far off Africa at DAK Lodge.

So it isn't that the rules no longer apply, so much as they threw the rulebook out.

I'm going to have to agree with you here...Disney no longer cares about "good show" or themeing. At least ToT can blend in with Morocco.

I think you equate this to some large Mega-store?:lookaroun

jt04

So do you offer solutions like maybe they are so incompetent they should freeze all projects until you are running TWDC. Or are we left with your daily borish embittered temper tantrums as you wallow in your gloom?

In other words, we get it, unless you have a point you think everyone is missing. If so, please share it and get it off your conscience already. Sheesh. :shrug:

WDW1974

So do you offer solutions like maybe they are so incompetent they should freeze all projects until you are running TWDC. Or are we left with your daily borish embittered temper tantrums as you wallow in your gloom?

In other words, we get it, unless you have a point you think everyone is missing. If so, please share it and get it off your conscience already. Sheesh. :shrug:

Did this post serve any purpose other than for you to show, yet again, your lack of ability to engage in adult discussion?

Because I think we all get that you don't like what I have to say and you don't seem capable of either offering something intelligent in rebuttal or simply ignoring the post.

You might try either one, which would make this a much more pleasant place to discuss the Mouse.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.

*nods in agreement* It does seem that way. :-\

jt04

Did this post serve any purpose other than for you to show, yet again, your lack of ability to engage in adult discussion?

Because I think we all get that you don't like what I have to say and you don't seem capable of either offering something intelligent in rebuttal or simply ignoring the post.

You might try either one, which would make this a much more pleasant place to discuss the Mouse.

My point is you seem to complain about the same issues without offering up how you could have done or would do better. Anyone can complain about anything but what is the point in that?

So since you see yourself as so above the folks at TWDC how 'bout you offer up your vision. Because you are obviously brilliant enough to see the big picture in ways the "powers that be" can't.

So it's not that I don't like what you say, it's that you don't offer solutions and that becomes tiresome and seems vain. And "fire everyone in Glendale" is not a solution.................in my opinion.

Lee

Adventurer

I completely agree.

I also understand that as they continue to develop the property, some outside visual intrusion is likely inevitible. However, I would have thought (preferred) that they develop the property in such a way as to limit that sort of thing.
A peeve of mine: The Hess stations and the funky McDonald's. Too much trouble to theme them at all?:shrug:
An African theme for that McD's and maybe MK and Boardwalk themes for the Hess stations would have made sense....hmmm...sense...that's probably the issue right there.:rolleyes:

WDW1974

My point is you seem to complain about the same issues without offering up how you could have done or would do better. Anyone can complain about anything but what is the point in that?

This is a Disney discussion board. The topic (started by someone else) was about the Bonnet Creek Hilton being viewable above World Showcase.

I am commenting on it. What I would or could have done is of no moment because I wasn't in charge of the project and I don't run WDW (and yeah, I do believe with my background that I could run it better than the folks who do so).

I can tell you one thing. I wouldn't have thrown out a rulebook that worked since the mid-1950s. WDW is 30,000 acres (or was before land was sold off and things like Celebration happened). I sure wouldn't have put the Swan and Dolphin where they are located. I wouldn't have built Soarin without hiding/disguising the theaters.

it's simple common sense ... which of course as Jerry Seinfeld (1990s comedian, had a popular TV show, for all the kids in the audience) would say is an oxymoron since it's in such short supply.

So since you see yourself as so above the folks at TWDC how 'bout you offer up your vision. Because you are obviously brilliant enough to see the big picture in ways the "powers that be" can't.

Brilliant? Ahm ... I would never call myself that. Not even close. But I do admit the more people I meet the smarter I realize I am.

And it isn't that the people at TWDC can't see the big picture. It's that they choose not to.

Even Michael Eisner, who I have a great deal of respect for to this day, didn't listen when people told him you couldn't put the S/D where they are without totally screwing up the scale of WS. He didn't listen ... until they were near complete and he saw them towering over the park. Then he asked what could be done to minimize the intrusion. Someone I know who worked for the builders said 'well, we could blow them up' (true story) and he didn't find that amusing.

Again, common sense isn't something that many people in positions of power at Disney (or most major companies today) have.

So it's not that I don't like what you say, it's that you don't offer solutions and that becomes tiresome and seems vain. And "fire everyone in Glendale" is not a solution.................in my opinion.

Sometimes as I stated there isn't a solution. I didn't start this thread. I just tried to offer some perspective. That's it. The solution here clearly would have been for Disney (which thru Reedy Creek does control the building of the Hilton even if they don't own the land) to limit the stories the resort could be built ... clearly they didn't and what can be done now? Not much at all. I don't like that solution, but it is reality.

And, FWIW, I wouldn't fire everyone in Glendale ... I wouldn't even fire half the folks there ... they aren't (for the most part) the real problem with Disney.

Anyway, that's it ...:wave:

jt04

I completely agree.

I also understand that as they continue to develop the property, some outside visual intrusion is likely inevitible. However, I would have thought (preferred) that they develop the property in such a way as to limit that sort of thing.
A peeve of mine: The Hess stations and the funky McDonald's. Too much trouble to theme them at all?:shrug:
An African theme for that McD's and maybe MK and Boardwalk themes for the Hess stations would have made sense....hmmm...sense...that's probably the issue right there.:rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't all the ones you mentioned built under a previous CEO? And the Hess at BW is mildly themed if memory serves. Not that I care about gas station theming too much. But that's just me

krankenstein

You, kind sir, have hit the nail on the head. :wave:

jt04

And, FWIW, I wouldn't fire everyone in Glendale ... I wouldn't even fire half the folks there ... they aren't (for the most part) the real problem with Disney.

Anyway, that's it ...:wave:

OK I'll bite. What is the "real problem"? Go ahead, let it out WDW74, it will be good for you.

Lee

Adventurer
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't all the ones you mentioned built under a previous CEO? And the Hess at BW is mildly themed if memory serves. Not that I care about gas station theming too much. But that's just me
True. Built under previous leadership.
True. The Boardwalk Hess is mildly themed, and is not the worst offender.

But...The obnoxious McDonald's? The Hess and car care center? The race track in front of MK?
Eyesores, to me at least.:shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Or are we left with your daily borish embittered temper tantrums as you wallow in your gloom?
C'mon, give him a break. He`s further discussing the original topic. And sadly, he`s correct.

jt04

True. Built under previous leadership.
True. The Boardwalk Hess is mildly themed, and is not the worst offender.

But...The obnoxious McDonald's? The Hess and car care center? The race track in front of MK?
Eyesores, to me at least.:shrug:

All approved by Eisner. The race track was one of his pet projects I think. It's not that I don't agree with you, it's that it will take time to fix all the errors he made in his "lost years". But they are fixing them as best they can in my opinion.

jt04

C'mon, give him a break. He`s further discussing the original topic. And sadly, he`s correct.

He is correct! But to go on like nobody is trying to fix what they can (some things are out of prople's control, like what gets built off property) is not providing the whole story.

It's great to offer constructive criticism. Like I said anyone can complain about anything but what is the point in doing just that and that alone? :wave:

PS- I also think that if he is going to serve up hefty helpings of criticism he should be able to take a bit. Perhaps that is naive on my part.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
some things are out of prople's control, like what gets built off property
Yes and no, like WDW1974 said Bonnet Creek ultimately is under RCID control.
what is the point in doing just that and that alone
I know, and I know WDW1974 also says nice things ;) but the things talked about are correct. I`m not taking sides, but if 74 wants to talk about the negative things it's up to them - surely this is not a reason to gode them? I could talk negative `till I`m blue in the face but I don`t. Most of the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom