News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

peter11435

Depends on their load procedure with the gondolas. Which NOBODY KNOWS. I'll leave it there and just wait for actual info. :)

It stands to reason that they won’t institute a load procedure that doesn’t effectively utilize capacity when necessary. Especially when they already have procedures at numerous attractions for grouping more guests in less time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah -- my expectation has always been that they won't aim for 100% fill. I would guess they'd err overall on giving people some breathing room and granting preferences as long as this thing is as efficient as it is billed to be.

This is the Disney way. You don't over stress efficiency where there is little to gain vs what you lose. It's why Disney will send out vehicles with empty seats. Or tend to let small children go without strangers next to them, etc. They tend to err towards customer sentiment. On high demand days, they may spend more time filling those seats, but they aren't going to stop dispatch to do it. On days there is less demand, they may be more lax and spend less time/labor on it.

Its why it was said before... Disney won't bother stuffing the box. That does not mean tho that Disney will not put people together.. it's just that keeping parties separate is probably not the highest priority.

I totally expect the count per cabin to be based purely on the queue at the time. When in high demand times they'll simply emphasize putting groups together more.

This is easily accomplished if grouping is done by the platform person directing people to a cabin as you approach if they can have people enter a cabin after it's passed the first load point. "how many in your party? Ok, please enter this cabin" Thus the stuffing can be done entirely dynamically.

But if they don't want people trying to catch up to a cabin that has already passed the first point on the platform.. they'll have to group people before they enter the platform. And again, if the area is large enough to move around, a grouper can easily work on arranging the line as needed.

Personally I think there is good reason to use the 'multiple rows/stalls' method. Why? Because trying to get 8 people to move together can be difficult if they are not triggered all at the same time. And having multiple groups of those sizes move together is even harder.

Think of the classic 'traffic light' delay problem. For every person in front of you, there is a delay between when they get the signal to go, and them actually going.. and then the person behind them does the same thing, etc. This causes a cascade of delays making it hard to keep a line moving. And since you are trying to move multiple people in a group... this problem is magnified.

So to create a smooth loading of groups - you usually have to stage them and make it easy for them to all go at once.

MickeyMinnieMom

This is the Disney way. You don't over stress efficiency where there is little to gain vs what you lose. It's why Disney will send out vehicles with empty seats. Or tend to let small children go without strangers next to them, etc. They tend to err towards customer sentiment. On high demand days, they may spend more time filling those seats, but they aren't going to stop dispatch to do it. On days there is less demand, they may be more lax and spend less time/labor on it.

Its why it was said before... Disney won't bother stuffing the box. That does not mean tho that Disney will not put people together.. it's just that keeping parties separate is probably not the highest priority.

I totally expect the count per cabin to be based purely on the queue at the time. When in high demand times they'll simply emphasize putting groups together more.

This is easily accomplished if grouping is done by the platform person directing people to a cabin as you approach if they can have people enter a cabin after it's passed the first load point. "how many in your party? Ok, please enter this cabin" Thus the stuffing can be done entirely dynamically.

But if they don't want people trying to catch up to a cabin that has already passed the first point on the platform.. they'll have to group people before they enter the platform. And again, if the area is large enough to move around, a grouper can easily work on arranging the line as needed.

Personally I think there is good reason to use the 'multiple rows/stalls' method. Why? Because trying to get 8 people to move together can be difficult if they are not triggered all at the same time. And having multiple groups of those sizes move together is even harder.

Think of the classic 'traffic light' delay problem. For every person in front of you, there is a delay between when they get the signal to go, and them actually going.. and then the person behind them does the same thing, etc. This causes a cascade of delays making it hard to keep a line moving. And since you are trying to move multiple people in a group... this problem is magnified.

So to create a smooth loading of groups - you usually have to stage them and make it easy for them to all go at once.
Makes sense to me. First thing that came to mind for me was that it might be a bit like Space Mtn (and others) with the forming of groups ahead of time. Wasn’t clear to me whether stations were set up that way, but it would certainly make sense to.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Makes sense to me. First thing that came to mind for me was that it might be a bit like Space Mtn with the forming of groups ahead of time.

Or think Soarin... ToT... Star Tours... etc

Something like Star Tours is probably the closest analogy I think they could go for in my mind. It would also be easy to 'scale down' by simply not using the additional rows when not needed.

donaldtoo

MickeyMinnieMom said:
Standing next to people in line is hardly the same as being locked in a closed space while on fire, being munched by an alligator and crushed by an ECV. We'll see...

Just substitute Disney gondola for cable car and we got us a summer blockbuster...!!! :D;)

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
“New Venetian resort confirmed by Disney insider and will feature its own monorail station!”

Coming soon to a site which shall not be named
"Those plans looked like they had been canceled last year when permits to expand the trailer complex on the STOL runway were filed, but now another noted insider, Martin on the WDWMagic forums, is stating that the plans for the resort are once again moving forward."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It looks as though it would be quite easy for people who want to ride their own, to sort of wait for the opportunity then board during a small break in boarding in the morning.

I'm starting to envision you exiting a gondola with blood dripping from your hands as you sob, "It's all your fault... you should never have enclosed them with me!"

;)

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Well, my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night(Edited to remain on topic) become the first one to ride a Gondola, while it was still in Test Mode. Rumor is he was singing Danca Shaun to the people below. It must be pretty serious further along then we thought ;)

Gott im Himmel! Danke schoen...auf deutsch, bitte!...

You need more Oktoberfest!

Rich Brownn

I ride alone with other families on the Hogwarts express. About the same length of time in a smaller space. No one is uncomfortable, they are watching the window and the passageway action and most appreciate that I seem to understand what is happening with the story. IT is the same here, look out the window and count how many deer you can spot or count alligators if that is your thing. Or- don't stay at a gondola resort and take alternate transportation between DHS and Epcot. About as much problem as getting into a flaming cab of death that will surely drop into the alligator infested swamp and by the time the brain eating amoebas are done with your grey matter your worry about being "uncomfortable" for 5 minutes will be far in the past.
At HE we had 5 minutes to group you for the cabin, and we were trained to fill each cabin (Hence "Any party of 2? any party of 1?)"). If the Gondolas are constantly moving I dont think there's time for a grouper.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That makes me think... if standing is OK or even expected, whether there will be overhead grips or poles to hold onto.

The gondolas can stop or start without much notice. I think Disney would not want the liability of that plus standing in an environment with no immediate supervision or the ability to aid someone. Plus, there isn't a ton of floor space with the seating down. I would expect maybe a grab bar along the door and opposite walls along the top.. but more than that would be surprising to me. Just IMHO

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The gondolas can stop or start without much notice. I think Disney would not want the liability of that plus standing in an environment with no immediate supervision or the ability to aid someone. Plus, there isn't a ton of floor space with the seating down. I would expect maybe a grab bar along the door and opposite walls along the top.. but more than that would be surprising to me. Just IMHO

If they force 10 people in a gondola, we can get 8 seated comfortably and only 2 would have to stand. And they can steady themselves by leaning on the opposite doors!!

GlacierGlacier

I'm surprised people are having trouble imagining 10 guests in each cabin. The simple solution is to have everyone lay prone on top of each other, and just pile 'em all in there. Children in last.

You could probably get double the recommended from Dopplemayer.

truecoat

If they force 10 people in a gondola, we can get 8 seated comfortably and only 2 would have to stand. And they can steady themselves by leaning on the opposite doors!!

Maybe if they are all adults but if you have a couple kids there will be plenty of room to sit. The seat width in the D-line is over 18 inches which is more than almost any airline today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom