News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe if they are all adults but if you have a couple kids there will be plenty of room to sit. The seat width in the D-line is over 18 inches which is more than almost any airline today.

Being 18.1 inches isn't that much more than 18 inches.

And even at 18 inches, big and tall people can make that very tight.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
And they can steady themselves by leaning on the opposite doors!!

monorail-lean-signs-01092018-2.jpg

I guess they need to order more of these stickers then.

Please do not casually lean against the door.

HiJe

I'm surprised people are having trouble imagining 10 guests in each cabin. The simple solution is to have everyone lay prone on top of each other, and just pile 'em all in there. Children in last.

You could probably get double the recommended from Dopplemayer.

This whole time we have been talking about the possibility of people melting, when we never considered the opportunities of guests being flattened. This is a whole new revenue stream!

joelkfla

Or think Soarin... ToT... Star Tours... etc

Something like Star Tours is probably the closest analogy I think they could go for in my mind. It would also be easy to 'scale down' by simply not using the additional rows when not needed.
Not quite the same. On the attractions, all rows load at once. While they probably have a target, the dwell time is flexible; if a ride vehicle is dispatched 30 seconds late, it reduces throughput but it's not a big deal.

On the Skyliner, the groups of 10 would be loading sequentially. It's a FIFO operation, as opposed to a batch operation. And there is no dwell time to play with; the dispatch interval is inflexible, except for the big red stop button.

They could figure something out, but it would be closer to an Omnimover load scenario.

JoeCamel

Not quite the same. On the attractions, all rows load at once. While they probably have a target, the dwell time is flexible; if a ride vehicle is dispatched 30 seconds late, it reduces throughput but it's not a big deal.

On the Skyliner, the groups of 10 would be loading sequentially. It's a FIFO operation, as opposed to a batch operation. And there is no dwell time to play with; the dispatch interval is inflexible, except for the big red stop button.

They could figure something out, but it would be closer to an Omnimover load scenario.
It certainly could be batch loading. There can be several cabins with doors open and ready to board. At least two but maybe three given the length of the loading platform.

Goofyernmost

Because 10 won’t fit on average in this setting.

And I suspect in these close quarters many will push back on being jammed in.

I’d suspect Disney isn’t assuming an average of 10 WDW park-goers per gondola in their planning. If they’re smart.
I'm sure when they were pitching this to the B.O.D. the 10 people figure was used. Reality time... It's not going to happen unless it is a family of 10. Doesn't matter, it is still so much faster then using the buses that a major gain will be realized by using them anyway.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Any thoughts on if they will be scanning bands for resort guests when this system launches? Because there will be plenty of lookie-loos (like me) jamming up the lines just to ride it for fun and not transport.

I’m not talking permanently, but just wondering about the first few weeks/months.
That won't be necessary. The heavy use times are at opening and closing and the "lookie-loos", as you so nicely put it, will not be riding them at that point. They might during the day when I would guess that about 1 in 3 will not have anyone in them. This is not really being thought out by most and what is thought out is mind tricks.

Goofyernmost

"And they will get over it."
Who are you to say that?
They will have too. Why do you think they would have an option if there is a line a mile long heading for a park opening. But, it is more likely to happen on the closing return trip. Just like a bus where you have to stand so close to people that you are able to tell their religion. You want to get back to your room you will put up with it for the few minutes that it takes to get there.

Thebolt

I'd expect loading will typically be 2 parties per gondola, front bench and back bench (with exceptions for non-typical parties). That makes organising guests relatively simple, so minimising the need for load staff.

Park closing will likely be a special case, of cramming people in every gap - but it will need additional staff to get guests organised quickly, deal with arguments, dedicate people to ECVs etc. and to keep the loading process moving smothly.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You didn't follow the design or listen to the problem being solved.

Just think how tot and soarin are released from their stalls.... while also thinking about continuously queuing into those stalls and then you'll get it.

The problem is you need chunks of people... not a necessarily a continuous stream of people. You also have a desire for these chunks to be grouped. This problem is exaggerated the bigger the group being assembled (and why it's not really an issue for omnimovers that only need groups of 2-4)

Doing that in rows let's the platform pick a pre sorted group of people without hestitation or stragglers.

SLUSHIE

I'm sure it will work just like haunted Mansion etc. but they will probably help fill them in some way when the line gets longer.

Most gondolas have a singles line. Yes it's not like making groups on a rollercoaster. If the first group in line is 4 people and the next group is 4, toss 2 singles in. If the 2nd group was 8, toss 6 singles in. Pretty simple.

They could also have the line split at some point so you would have two group lines to pull from to help fill the cabin with groups before resorting to pulling singles.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom