News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

flynnibus

Premium Member
Standing next to people in line is hardly the same as being locked in a closed space.

The interior hallways with no exits in sight are pretty claustrophobic if that's your thing.

I think people need to face it that the issue isn't really about 'personal space' or the environment... it's literally a 'sharing' problem. People want THEIR OWN cabin - not that the space is somehow more constrained, or more personable, etc. Just like in a vehicle with 2 rows of seating, some people don't want 'strangers' sitting in their back seat of 'their' vehicle etc.

The personal space topic people accept all over... it's a norm they adjust too. But people have this engrained idea about 'their table' 'their vehicle' etc where they normally aren't expected.

And in all these cases, when the person who isn't used to it... gets mashed into the bigger mob where everyone else is fine with it... they normally adjust pretty quickly.. because they realize it is THEY who are the oddball.

joelkfla

Practically speaking, here's one scenario I have in mind which will happen with us a lot. As a group of 6 people, we load into one gondola. How much time do they have to find a party of 2 to fill that up, versus just letting that gondola go with the 6 of us onboard? Load time is shorter than with attractions, so I'm wondering how that would work in practice... thoughts? Or was this already discussed in between AC and gators?
There will be 2 or 3 cabins in the loading area at once. After loading your party in the one cabin, they may put the next large party in the following cabin, and the the smaller party behind them into your cabin. But realistically, I suspect parties of 6 or more will be given their own cabin except when there is a long queue,

peter11435

Practically speaking, here's one scenario I have in mind which will happen with us a lot. As a group of 6 people, we load into one gondola. How much time do they have to find a party of 2 to fill that up, versus just letting that gondola go with the 6 of us onboard? Load time is shorter than with attractions, so I'm wondering how that would work in practice... thoughts? Or was this already discussed in between AC and gators?

Why do you assume load time is shorter than with attractions?

How much time do you think they have to make those decisions at some attractions?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
There will be 2 or 3 cabins in the loading area at once. After loading your party in the one cabin, they may put the next large party in the following cabin, and the the smaller party behind them into your cabin. But realistically, I suspect parties of 6 or more will be given their own cabin except when there is a long queue,

Yeah, this is how I would guess it would work. If there are two parties of 5 or less in a row they will put them all in the same car, otherwise they will be given their own car. As others have said, they aren't going to have a lot of time to figure out optimal loading.

MickeyMinnieMom

Why do you assume load time is shorter than with attractions?

How much time do you think they have to make those decisions at some attractions?
I'm thinking of some attractions where they pack them in... 7DMT, BTMR, RnRC, Space Mtn... they have time to group people in between "launches". The gondolas are continuous. Did I really make a controversial point here?

flynnibus

Premium Member

You could simply queue people for a loading point... just like they do for nearly every multiple vehicle load station on property. Create three rows... a grouper loads people into those rows based on how they will load the cabins. When the platform person is ready, they grab a group from the next ready row.

That's how you do it in scale - if they will bother doing that in the stations who knows. My guess is they will simply stage 2 groups or so to be ready to walk out when the cabin approaches.

It will really be driven by how Disney designs the layout for passenger movement, hold points, and safety. Aka will it be very limited access to the actual loading area, etc.

MickeyMinnieMom

You could simply queue people for a loading point... just like they do for nearly every multiple vehicle load station on property. Create three rows... a grouper loads people into those rows based on how they will load the cabins. When the platform person is ready, they grab a group from the next ready row.
Is that how these stations are set up?

Incomudro

Yeah, this is how I would guess it would work. If there are two parties of 5 or less in a row they will put them all in the same car, otherwise they will be given their own car. As others have said, they aren't going to have a lot of time to figure out optimal loading.

It looks as though it would be quite easy for people who want to ride their own, to sort of wait for the opportunity then board during a small break in boarding in the morning.

Incomudro

Great example... and also because it's an attraction where where you sit is significant. Where as on the gondolas it's just a utilitarian thing where it doesn't matter.

People will share.. and they will get over it. The loading platform will drive this more than anything..

"And they will get over it."
Who are you to say that?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Is that how these stations are set up?

No one knows... It could be as formal as rows... it could simply be the grouper re-arranging people in a open line prior to the entry to the load platform. It could just be the platform people directing you to the forward or rear cabin as you enter the platform. (think omnimover loading - but could be sent to A or B)

The point of these systems is not to get 100% fill - it's to get as filled as you can without risking safety or the dispatch.

They aren't going to stop the system to squeeze more people in..

The question is more of will disney dedicate space and labor to drive their ability to optimize loading.. or just do it on the fly.

peter11435

I'm thinking of some attractions where they pack them in... 7DMT, BTMR, RnRC, Space Mtn... they have time to group people in between "launches". The gondolas are continuous. Did I really make a controversial point here?

The point is they don’t have much time at those attractions either. In many cases attractions have less time than the gondolas will. The gondolas move through the station slowly and will be there longer than many attraction vehicles. They also don’t have to wait until the gondola is being loaded to group guests.

MickeyMinnieMom

No one knows... It could be as formal as rows... it could simply be the grouper re-arranging people in a open line prior to the entry to the load platform. It could just be the platform people directing you to the forward or rear cabin as you enter the platform. (think omnimover loading - but could be sent to A or B)

The point of these systems is not to get 100% fill - it's to get as filled as you can without risking safety or the dispatch.

They aren't going to stop the system to squeeze more people in..

The question is more of will disney dedicate space and labor to drive their ability to optimize loading.. or just do it on the fly.
Yeah -- my expectation has always been that they won't aim for 100% fill. I would guess they'd err overall on giving people some breathing room and granting preferences as long as this thing is as efficient as it is billed to be.

I could imagine more of an effort to get closer to filled when really busy and less when not busy, like with some attractions.

My question was around whether we knew what the plan was for the scenario I mentioned and how they'd load -- looks like the answer is no -- we don't know. I know I'll be waiting for reviews in the early weeks of this thing being up and running!

MickeyMinnieMom

The point is they don’t have much time at those attractions either. In many cases attractions have less time than the gondolas will. The gondolas move through the station slowly and will be there longer than many attraction vehicles. They also don’t have to wait until the gondola is being loaded to group guests.
My point is they have even less time here than with some attraction loads -- particularly many of those that they always try to send out full -- like the examples I gave. Still stands. Never said it applied to all attractions.

Regardless -- other posters answered my question wrt load procedure: the answer is we don't know.

iowamomof4

I guess I've always assumed smaller groups of people would be grouped together (a group of 2 with a group of 3, for example), but groups of 4 or more would likely get their own gondola unless it's at park closing when they would probably try to have the gondolas as full as reasonably possible.

peter11435

My point is they have even less time here than with some attraction loads -- particularly many of those that they always try to send out full -- like the examples I gave. Still stands. Never said it applied to all attractions.

Regardless -- other posters answered my question wrt load procedure: the answer is we don't know.
But your point isn’t accurate because even some of the examples you gave have less time to fill guests per seat than the gondolas will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom