News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

Awesome! I wonder how much each cable weighs.
Hardly anything, to prevent lightening bolts from traveling from gondola to gondola, they will be made out of strands of light plastic thread that won't conduct electricity, but, there is a fear that they might melt and let go in the mid-afternoon heat. That's where the alligators come into the picture.

TiggerDad

Hardly anything, to prevent lightening bolts from traveling from gondola to gondola, they will be made out of strands of light plastic thread that won't conduct electricity, but, there is a fear that they might melt and let go in the mid-afternoon heat. That's where the alligators come into the picture.
The trick is to get the cables the proper thickness so the alligators can use them to floss between meals.

ABQ

Awesome! I wonder how much each cable weighs.
Not sure if this is how they'll put work it here, @Lift Blog would certainly know better, but it's fascinating to see, and it may be how they'll make a continuous loop on the Skyway job. (plus as this video is "local" to me, I'm happy to post it here) Though this speaks to a chair lift vs gondola, so, could be completely different. Further, math would estimate that a 2" braided steel cable would be approx 7-8 lbs per foot, maybe??

mmascari

It would have served DHS too. So long as you didn’t want to travel during fireworks.
Oh that’s interesting, traversing the World Showcase Lagoon but not having a ticket.
Yep. The only disembarkation points would have been outside the gates though.

Wow, that would have been one super long boat ride all the way to DHS. If it made all the current stops from EPCOT without adding an express option, just making one huge loop route. As a guest, way happier with the gondola selection instead.

Notes from Neverland

Wow, that would have been one super long boat ride all the way to DHS. If it made all the current stops from EPCOT without adding an express option, just making one huge loop route. As a guest, way happier with the gondola selection instead.

Given the current speed of the boats from the Epcot resorts to DHS, you're not kidding about one seriously long boat ride.

Creathir

I would imagine they’d have dedicated boats which went straight from the 4 resorts to Epcot and then HS, skipping the other resorts.

With this in mind, staffing theoretically could have been minimized by only having entry at the current IG, and the boats just passing thru Epcot, not stopping on the east side.

Epcot and DHS would have needed their slips expanded for Western resorts and for the Eastern resorts

KBLovedDisney

This is how the A/C units in each cabin are supplied with power, 1.21 jiggawatts of power! :eek::p
giphy.gif

frankc

Liftblog or anyone else who is familiar with ski lifts. While in Park City a few months ago I came across the Orange Bubble chairlift which has heated seats. Question is how are the seats powered for heat and couldn't that technology be translated to gondola cabins? Not saying they should or shouldn't provide power to the cabins just curious as to if it's possible.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Liftblog or anyone else who is familiar with ski lifts. While in Park City a few months ago I came across the Orange Bubble chairlift which has heated seats. Question is how are the seats powered for heat and couldn't that technology be translated to gondola cabins? Not saying they should or shouldn't provide power to the cabins just curious as to if it's possible.

Based on this video it sounds like they are heating the seat while in the station and it holds the heat for the length of the ride. This wouldn't work well for AC since you would have the doors open while you are trying to cool the cabin down making it much less effective.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

frankc

Based on this video it sounds like they are heating the seat while in the station and it holds the heat for the length of the ride. This wouldn't work well for AC since you would have the doors open while you are trying to cool the cabin down making it much less effective.

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. All I knew was the seat seemed warmer than it should have been.

Flalex72

Not sure if this is how they'll put work it here, @Lift Blog would certainly know better, but it's fascinating to see, and it may be how they'll make a continuous loop on the Skyway job. (plus as this video is "local" to me, I'm happy to post it here) Though this speaks to a chair lift vs gondola, so, could be completely different. Further, math would estimate that a 2" braided steel cable would be approx 7-8 lbs per foot, maybe??

The splice process for cable is pretty much identical to what's described in the video, regardless of the type of system. Different sizes of rope all splice pretty similarly.

Flalex72

While this definitely won't work for A/C, it might be used to power other systems. Lighting in gondolas is possible with solar panels, but the system will also operate for quite a few hours in the dark each evening, so power in the stations could charge capacitors to keep the lights on longer. It wouldn't shock me to see a public address system installed as well, knowing how easily some riders will be spooked by the system stopping should there be a load/unload issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom