News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

JoeCamel

Got to admit those are some big ugly a** towers. Hope they look better once the rope is run and the cars start cycling but I doubt it. I am usually for function over form but I think if WDW is going to spend 3x the cost of a standard system they could put some of that money towards theming the towers. I know they are not done but also not sure what they could do to make them better. I think Doppelmayr saw a fat cat coming and adjusted the price accordingly for the system.
Still to be seen but right now it is butt ugly IMO.

disneyC97

I know it’s a different system but I remember the old Skyway attractions looking better when the cars were on the cables. Took your eyes off the utilitarian towers.

trainplane3

Got to admit those are some big ugly a** towers. Hope they look better once the rope is run and the cars start cycling but I doubt it. I am usually for function over form but I think if WDW is going to spend 3x the cost of a standard system they could put some of that money towards theming the towers. I know they are not done but also not sure what they could do to make them better. I think Doppelmayr saw a fat cat coming and adjusted the price accordingly for the system.
Still to be seen but right now it is butt ugly IMO.
I get why people are saying that right now. On the flip side, the monorail would be very ugly without the beams going between the supports. And once the trains actually start running on them, it adds a dynamic you can't live without.

I personally think the SkyLiner will be the same. People will complain about it being a eyesore right now. Once the cables get pulled and the gondolas start running though, it'll add a very nice dynamic to the areas it's running to.

I will admit, it would be nice to see them paint the towers that go into the treeline green. But that's a small nitpick that won't ruin it at all for me.

GlacierGlacier

I'm sure it was just some cool international spy who needed to escape an ambush and he shot off the arm and rode the gondola down the mountain. The rest is just a cover-up.
Or possibly an evil henchmen spun up the gondola so much the heroes couldn't escape - except for quick last minute thinking which accidentally broke the cable supporting the car.

Creathir

Tough crowd.
It will grow on people.

I’ve made my displeasure with the decision to go this route pretty well known by this point, but it’s happening.

The guests per hour this thing will move should make up for the unattractiveness of it.

Ya have to remember, we are accustomed to highly themed and customized immersive experiences. Being a Disney World fan site, we expect the absolute best because that is what Disney conditioned us to in the past. Theme cohesion has long been abandoned, this is just a continuation of that pattern, hence the concern with the appearance.

We’ll get over it in time.

Kamikaze

Tough crowd.

It really doesn't matter what it is - there will be a group of Disney 'fans' that will complain about it.

For example: They're complaining about how this looks, but the alternative is a system of transit buses. Because those give all the best views of roads and look amazing to boot.

I certainly understand that this will interfere with some skylines and views. But buses suck, this has huge HRC, and it never breaks down.

Goofyernmost

They are ugly as sin but there’s not a lot you can do. Go away green wouldn’t cut it.
I agree, but, they are not part of any show. They are indeed what they appear to be and that is a utility. My thought is if you are riding on them and all you can think to look at is the towers then one needs an attitude adjustment. Most of the structures aren't even in any view of a theme park. Psychologically, I would much rather ride a structure that looks strong and sturdy then something themed to look like lace. I give it a year, even for the most theme focused of you guys before you don't even notice them anymore and those that aren't that detailed will not even give it one thought. It is doing what it was supposed to do getting you to where you can enjoy the ambiance. Personally I would be to busy looking at the scenery, both natural and backstage.

Bocabear

The skyway in the Magic Kingdom when disected was not beautiful...and the views from it were less than stellar...I remember a lot of flat unthemed roofs mostly...but there was a beautiful kinetic quality it brought to the park as a whole. I am sure it will be the same with these Gondolas...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The skyway in the Magic Kingdom when disected was not beautiful...and the views from it were less than stellar...I remember a lot of flat unthemed roofs mostly...but there was a beautiful kinetic quality it brought to the park as a whole. I am sure it will be the same with these Gondolas...
As a kid I was fascinated by the simple red and green lights that flashed on the cabin roofs after dusk. But had they still been traversing the front of NFL today it would be a visual disaster.

mmascari

They are very Ugly, and the views of the backstage won't be that magic. I'm not really into this project.

Other than the area immediately next to IG, the path looks mostly away from the parks. The biggest park area backstage view looks like France. All the work for the new ride there should change most of that so it's no longer backstage area at all. CBR backstage will definitely be on display, but that's less of a concern.

....it never breaks down.

You've doomed us all now, breakdowns every day just to negate this comment. :eek:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They'll be pretty, colorful gondolas whizzing by in both directions. Human eyesight is pretty good at ignoring the static, drab, and unimportant and focusing on the dynamic, colorful, and important pieces of information, which will be the gondolas. When decorations are hung up on a string (hardly) no one looks at them and says the string is dreadful. It's why go-away green 'works'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom