News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
They are very Ugly, and the views of the backstage won't be that magic. I'm not really into this project.

The only play you will likely be able to see back stage is when you approach the Epcot station, and most of the that view will be improved with the new Rat area behind France.

i assume they'll paint them right? And maybe the cars get themed in some way?

I am not counting on paint, I think they would have pre-painted them before putting them up.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The only play you will likely be able to see back stage is when you approach the Epcot station, and most of the that view will be improved with the new Rat area behind France.

From my Google modeling, I'd say there will be precious little of Epcot backstage visible; certainly no more than when taking a bus.

The big backstage mess visible will be BoardWalk Inn's backstage. And parking lots. Lots and lots of parking lots.

ABQ

The skyway in the Magic Kingdom when disected was not beautiful...and the views from it were less than stellar...I remember a lot of flat unthemed roofs mostly...but there was a beautiful kinetic quality it brought to the park as a whole. I am sure it will be the same with these Gondolas...
Yeah, if only the ugly roof views from the monorail through Futureworld were as nice as those of the 1970's rooftop of Small World et al? I know they weren't themed, but they still looked better than what they've let the roof of Innoventions become.

JoeCamel

It was a simple statement of what I saw not a condemnation of the whole project. They COULD have made an attempt and considering the price I think they should have.
I have to strike while the iron is hot, wait too long and the mickey waffles come out runny. Next month it will be something else..

Goofyernmost

Speak for yourself. Not everyone has stupid, snobby, high standards for a gondola tower. Sometimes I'm glad I never visited WDW in the old days, I couldn't imagine being a bitter hater of everything the company does in the present day.
The past always seems to put everything in a haze like status. That is especially true if you are a kid at the time of your first exposure. It was, DL and WDW, such a spectacular place filled with technology of the time that we have memories only of those highlights and didn't really have time to notice the faults. That's OK, but, now expectations are based on memories that really didn't exist. They are the sight of mind things that kids who have never seen anything so great took home with them. I never went until I was 35 years old. (35 years ago) Believe me there were a lot of flaws, but, there was so much that was great that it kept me coming back again and again, year after year. It was a great place back then as it is now, but, we do tend to have distorted images in our minds of the quality back then compared to now. Technology alone has upped the quality even if nothing else did.

To me it is more of a quality vs. cost factor that has everyone upset even though they won't admit it. If one looks at what was available and what it costs back then to today's advanced experience compared to what it costs takes a lot of the glitter out of the experience, yet, people go back again and again and spend an awful lot of money to experience it. Based on modern times and the technology that is currently being used it is safe to say that the sky is not falling.

Grimley1968

Personally, I care about as much about how Skyliner towers will look as I care how light posts outside the parks look. As long as the gondolas run properly and facilitate high throughput of guests to and fro, the gondola towers could be neon green, battleship gray, or whatever color, IMO. The gondolas themselves will be the eye-catcher.

But consider all the wheels on the tops of the towers, and all the Hidden Mickey possibilities from those. ;)

Bocabear

As a kid I was fascinated by the simple red and green lights that flashed on the cabin roofs after dusk. But had they still been traversing the front of NFL today it would be a visual disaster.
I remember those too....and yes it was lovely at night to see them....especially from a room at the Contemporary :)
I wonder if they still had them in this day and age if they would theme out the rooftops like they did in Seussland at Universal... the theming is simple but very effective.
Of course no theming will be necessary for the skyliner... It will be nice to have some other form of transportation other than a bus!!

JoeCamel

Maybe it's the ski bum in me, but I don't find the poles ugly at all. I see no reason for paint, in fact I don't think it would make it any better. If anything it would just make them look weird to me. IMO. Why waste money painting something like this?
How about if they chromed them and put fiberglass mushroom caps over the tops? They could have for this price....

c-one

Every tower should have a giant Stitch climbing it!
Don’t give them any ideas. I remember from my ski bum era when some of the more corporate resorts started putting mini billboards on the lift poles. The poles themselves didn’t really distract from my nature experience but those dang ads did. I’d kind of expect them here.

BrianLo

I am slowly converting way too much into sky culture, when my initial reaction was that I thought the towers are incredibly sexy.

WDW is getting a gondola system that is the envy of most ski resorts. 3 of them. That would be a year people would recall lovingly for decades if this was a ski resort.

Cmdr_Crimson

I do wonder how this will work for the Epcot side...Will they have that section of the skyliner closed until 11am since World Showcase normally opens around that time? Or will this change and now open the entire area of World Showcase along with Future World at 9am since they will be mass crowds heading to France's expansion for Ratatouille?

I know they have Mexico & Norway open at 9 (Not sure if Canada is as well?) But, in a way I can understand for an earlier opening of the pavilions..It will be interesting to see how this will work..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom