News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

michmousefan

I would expect that. Of course, I also would expect MGM or whatever you call it to stay open very late once SW Land opens.
Once open, I can't imagine GE (and DHS) closing much earlier than 11 for a rather long time. But if that's the case, I shudder at the Skyliner line at IG post-Illuminations... for those park-hopping over to DHS for a bit of fun after Epcot closes. As Illuminations ends at 9:30 or so, I guess an 11pm closing wouldn't really be that enticing. Probably would have to be a midnight close for most people to try and get over and get in a ride or two.

JoeCamel

Once open, I can't imagine GE (and DHS) closing much earlier than 11 for a rather long time. But if that's the case, I shudder at the Skyliner line at IG post-Illuminations... for those park-hopping over to DHS for a bit of fun after Epcot closes. As Illuminations ends at 9:30 or so, I guess an 11pm closing wouldn't really be that enticing. Probably would have to be a midnight close for most people to try and get over and get in a ride or two.
Even if there is a line it will move pretty quickly unlike the monorail or bus backup which moves in fits and starts. With near continuous loading you will be moving forward all the time which would seem like a much shorter line.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

So, arrive at DHS at about 10 PM to get on a 3 hour line for a ride in a park that closes in an hour?

TiggerDad

So, arrive at DHS at about 10 PM to get on a 3 hour line for a ride in a park that closes in an hour?
Could be more than 3 hours, but I think reports out of Pandora have indicated the standby line moves much faster once the park closes and there are no more new FP customers competing with standby for capacity. With the rule being you get to ride if you are in line when the park closes, it seems like a better idea than you let on. I also see them closing standby an hour before park close to prevent you from doing that and making them work too late.

nickys

Premium Member
I hardly consider myself well known, but thanks.

Maybe more a case of having encountered your responses on several different threads, I've detected a certain sense of humour in your posts that seems to resonate! So when I read them I'm already interpreting them in the manner you intended (well hopefully anyway :joyfull:).

michmousefan

Well, as long as you can get in line... you can ride, unless the policy changes. Of course, they might close *access* to GE at a certain time in the evening as well. That's a benefit of having two distinct entry points into the land.

Goofyernmost

Well, as long as you can get in line... you can ride, unless the policy changes. Of course, they might close *access* to GE at a certain time in the evening as well. That's a benefit of having two distinct entry points into the land.
I know that they usually will honor anyone that is in the official queue line, but, I thought somebody once said that if you are beyond the official start that they would close it at the start point. I could be wrong about that, but, it seems like that would make more sense. They do have to do maintenance and that would take a huge chunk of the allotted time.

_caleb

Absolutely nothing - or so little relevance as to be hardly worth noting. So if people want to discuss driverless cars, Chit Chat, and perhaps Politics and Social Issues, would be the place to do so.

Throughout the 400 pages of this thread, folks have been talking about how the gondola system will compare to other modes of transportation in WDW and may even replace the Monorail. I believe I’m the one who brought up the buses, because talking about the gondolas made me think about what the Skyliner may signal about the other forms of transportation Disney may be bringing online in the future. It brought to mind the rumors about buses. Even though my post was deemed off-topic and deleted, it seemed to be perfectly relevant to the discussion, from my perspective.

Somone brought up the recent accident with a Doppelmayr chair lift in Ukraine and how it may affect people’s perceptions of the Skyliner. This made the bus discussion even more relevant to the gondola conversation because of the recent accident involving a self-driving Uber. One bad transportation accident can have a significant impact on public perception and therefore on Disney’s plans to pursue that option.

All this to say that I’m not please that my post was deleted, but I’m excited about the Skyliner and I hope it’s well-received by the public.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
DHS station from Bioreconstruct:

1521906532711.png

NeedMoreMickey

Does anyone have any info on the entrance at IG? Are people going through security before they get on the gondola like before getting on the monorail? If not the entrance at IG will back up because it’s a pretty small area.

Goofyernmost

Does anyone have any info on the entrance at IG? Are people going through security before they get on the gondola like before getting on the monorail? If not the entrance at IG will back up because it’s a pretty small area.
It is people coming from a resort, not like the parking lot. There are limited numbers and they won't all be there at the same time. I have never had a long wait even at MK security. The key is that people don't have to bring everything they own with them. That will speed everyone's move up.

Lift Blog

Riviera station from Bioreconstruct:

View attachment 272102
This is going to be absolutely massive. I count eight "legs" for the station whereas the terminals have only three. There's nothing else like it in the U.S. I didn't see a photo of boardwalk turn station site this round but it is also sure to be very large with a slightly sharper angle.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is going to be absolutely massive. I count eight "legs" for the station whereas the terminals have only three. There's nothing else like it in the U.S. I didn't see a photo of boardwalk turn station site this round but it is also sure to be very large with a slightly sharper angle.

It has to be big because each side has to do unloading and loading, no? With it being a turn and a station and all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom