News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GeneralKnowledge

Well maybe if the reasons you guys didn't like them were valid. You all are just moaning into an echo chamber because you like to hear yourselves speak. You also think your opinions on architectural design and theme are so superior than us commoners. I'm so glad Disney is giving you guys a proverbial middle finger with these low key designs. Its as if they don't care what the super fans want (thank god!)

Why are you here?

disnyfan89

It's called 'cherry picking' - glad you found information tailored to be agreeable... so agreeable.

Here's another conclusion that can save you the trip... Disney hasn't always batted 1.000 - and citing examples of things that have pretty much universally been panned for their failure (like the values) as proof of your 'standards' is... well... oh why do I even bother.

I wouldn't really calling it cherry picking; I mean, the original toll plaza was a bit skewed to emphasize my point- but the other structures are 100% worth being discussed for direct comparison as they will be next to the new skyline station. I also included the TTC to further emphasize that the stations don't have to be anything extravagant but it's nice to see Disney put the extra effort into making them fit their surroundings. The only point I am trying to make is that fans, like usual, are over reacting and judging Disney to a standard they never claimed to have. We should be happy we are getting a new mode of transportation and we should be thrilled they are making the effort to make it fit within the themed areas they are building them in. It's okay to want the company to continuously improve upon their past, but you can't justify your view point by comparing a project to an imaginary standard when the reality doesn't support those claims as evidenced by the photos I posted. (And please understand I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but the community as a whole when discussing any project).

I find the current DHS bus station well themed.

I agree, I've always enjoyed DHS' bus area and see no problem with it. If Disney was rebuilding the bus loop in this day and age and kept the same design I'd say it was project well done.

lazyboy97o

I wouldn't really calling it cherry picking; I mean, the original toll plaza was a bit skewed to emphasize my point- but the other structures are 100% worth being discussed for direct comparison as they will be next to the new skyline station. I also included the TTC to further emphasize that the stations don't have to be anything extravagant but it's nice to see Disney put the extra effort into making them fit their surroundings. The only point I am trying to make is that fans, like usual, are over reacting and judging Disney to a standard they never claimed to have. We should be happy we are getting a new mode of transportation and we should be thrilled they are making the effort to make it fit within the themed areas they are building them in. It's okay to want the company to continuously improve upon their past, but you can't justify your view point by comparing a project to an imaginary standard when the reality doesn't support those claims as evidenced by the photos I posted. (And please understand I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but the community as a whole when discussing any project).

I agree, I've always enjoyed DHS' bus area and see no problem with it. If Disney was rebuilding the bus loop in this day and age and kept the same design I'd say it was project well done.
How is appropriate use of architectural elements an imaginary, unachievable standard? Theming is not about quantity.

disnyfan89

How is appropriate use of architectural elements an imaginary, unachievable standard? Theming is not about quantity.

When did I say they weren’t? All I’m trying to say is that these stations are being held to this high standard, as you put it, “of architectural elements” that doesn’t exists for any of the other transportation stations directly next to or near the skyliner stations. By all means, whine and complain that you think the stations look ugly or are “cheap” but don’t use an imaginary standard for previous structures around them that doesn’t exist. Disney could have made the stations uniformed with little to no theming like most transportation stations around the world but they clearly made an effort to go above and beyond their previous work.

lazyboy97o

When did I say they weren’t? All I’m trying to say is that these stations are being held to this high standard, as you put it, “of architectural elements” that doesn’t exists for any of the other transportation stations directly next to or near the skyliner stations. By all means, whine and complain that you think the stations look ugly or are “cheap” but don’t use an imaginary standard for previous structures around them that doesn’t exist. Disney could have made the stations uniformed with little to no theming like most transportation stations around the world but they clearly made an effort to go above and beyond their previous work.
None of the pictures you posted showed a misuse of elements. Nobody has shown a pattern of misuse of elements. Instead it’s back again and again to the straw men of minimalism, functionalism and cost.

disnyfan89

None of the pictures you posted showed a misuse of elements. Nobody has shown a pattern of misuse of elements. Instead it’s back again and again to the straw men of minimalism, functionalism and cost.

I was never trying to prove a misuse of elements? Once again, I’m stating that the idea the skylines stations are under designed and under themed is based on standards from past transportation structures that don’t exist. Stop trying to use my posts to push your agenda.

lazyboy97o

I was never trying to prove a misuse of elements? Once again, I’m stating that the idea the skylines stations are under designed and under themed is based on standards from past transportation structures that don’t exist. Stop trying to use my posts to push your agenda.
The stations are under designed and under themed because they misuse elements.

disnyfan89

The stations are under designed and under themed because they misuse elements.

A misuse of elements does not automatically make something under designed and under themed. It just may mean it lacks authenticity. I don’t claim the bathrooms in Frontierland to be under designed or under themed because they don’t feature authentic oil lamps and a hole dug in the ground for me to squat over.

Instead I appreciate the use of materials to imply a particular look or feeling that uses elements that are reminiscent of what I would think a bathroom in a frontier town would look like while also being able rely on the modern needs of a public utility and bathroom. I appreciate the fact they took the time to design and theme a bathroom to its surroundings and didn’t just install the same bathroom I could find at a mall or hotel.

Goofyernmost

A misuse of elements does not automatically make something under designed and under themed. It just may mean it lacks authenticity. I don’t claim the bathrooms in Frontierland to be under designed or under themed because they don’t feature authentic oil lamps and a hole dug in the ground for me to squat over.

Instead I appreciate the use of materials to imply a particular look or feeling that uses elements that are reminiscent of what I would think a bathroom in a frontier town would look like while also being able rely on the modern needs of a public utility and bathroom. I appreciate the fact they took the time to design and theme a bathroom to its surroundings and didn’t just install the same bathroom I could find at a mall or hotel.
I have mentioned in the past that those that demand some incredible standard be maintained only have to look at Main Street USA. If the theme were to be followed to be a Main Street at the turn of the 20th century it would be dirt. But, current needs dictate that it be paved mostly because no one wants to go back to the early 1900's they just want to be hinted to about it. That is the job of Disney. To combine elements of design that give the feeling of something, not absolutely define it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wouldn't really calling it cherry picking; I mean, the original toll plaza was a bit skewed to emphasize my point- but the other structures are 100% worth being discussed for direct comparison as they will be next to the new skyline station

You took the Toll Plaza from the 70s (not the heyday btw..).. Represented the TTC by showing a photo of... the ramps and beam.. aka not showing anything that captures the design.. and its inclusion is also one of the sore thumbs from the morbid attempt at redecorating with the transportation purples of the 90s.. and then POP which we've already covered as a big wiff... and then the single boat and bus platforms. So I guess 2 out of 5 are highlights of the topic of Disney's target. So I don't think really representative of the baseline we are talking about :)

I think the DHS bus load is a good example of the use of motif and integration with the setting. The building and bus signs are even more in sync (tho largely unused in this era...). The boats largely share a decor across the park entrances and while strictly functional... I find them largely pleasing. The atmosphere is a pleasant one like the MK terminus and the 'business' side of things are not in your face.

I don't have a huge problem with the art we see here - what I stepped in for was when people were citing BS as a way to back up their POV.. which was garbage. The TTC was built with a modernism, sleek style that was to match up with the idea of the Monorail as this forward looking transportation concept. Unfortunately it's been largely abandoned when its purpose has been minimized and then it got the horrible WDW transport color overlay. But this doesn't mean the TTC was just a plain bus stop and planters... its just sadly sterile and mothballed almost.

The only point I am trying to make is that fans, like usual, are over reacting and judging Disney to a standard they never claimed to have. We should be happy we are getting a new mode of transportation and we should be thrilled they are making the effort to make it fit within the themed areas they are building them in

But that is the 'throw them a bone' attitude that you are happy to get what you get. The "at least they are doing _something_.." retort. People are looking at it with a critical eye because they *want* to be wowed by Disney... and they *want* Disney to be that icon for the future. And when mediocre or "effort, but misses the mark", are the new norms... that is a point of discussion and critique where people see the company failing to follow through with their own mission.

To contrast... look at that Ski Lift video from yesterday... people see that and they don't even know what it does... but they are WOW'D by the structure and impact. The mechanical or utility side blurs away because people are swoon'd by what the architect presented. That's impact. The station art we have seen here misses on that. I'm not saying they need to be wonders of the world... but they feel a bit like New FL has been in ways... lots of effort that misses the mark. They aren't getting that mix right of style, setting, atmosphere, and escapism. THAT'S what important IMO... the tools used are a just means to an end. And unfortunately many just see "look, detailed!!!" and they think that's the end-game. It's not.

Edit: And as for the folks saying "its just a bus stop" or whatever... its this attention to atmosphere everywhere on property that make WDW what it was.. and why it wasn't just an east coast Disneyland. It's why the whole "disney bubble" idea exists. It was that WDW had this atmosphere and gave you this sense of enjoyment and optimisim that was all over... and not just on the E-Tickets or in the parks. It's why we have the Resorts we had and not just hotels with amenities, etc. The "360 degree, 24/7" attitude of WDW is what made it stand out and define the standard that others then copied.

Last edited:

NearTheEars

That's right! Just look at the original toll plaza, now that was a piece of well themed infrastructure from the hey day of Disney!
f21f3069da3ab765916b3a4496fa08d3.jpg

And who can pass up the highly detailed intricate themeing of the current Monorail Station that is the first place most guests see when visiting MK! Or that very ornate Ferry Boat station...

Where-Am-I-Standing-061.jpg
mar3-2.jpg

But yes, I can see how the Skyliner station might clash with the current boat dock at international gateway with its complex french/European details...
FriendshipBoats2.jpg

Im especially concerned over how much the boat launch at DHS will overshadow the new Skyliner station...

image34.jpg

But at least we have the super detailed bus stations there to help balance things out...

disney-hollywood-studios-buses-big.jpg

I just hope when the POP/AoA station is revealed it lives up to the standard already established by the resort. I'll only accept something as detailed and themed as the current bus loop!
Bus-Stop-at-Disneys-Pop-Century-Resort.jpg

Let's be real, the skyliner stations look great and exceed most structures created for transportation needs at Disney currently. Could they be even more detailed and well themed? Yeah, probably, but what we have is way better than what most here would have expected and will be great additions to the Disney Landscape... besides, concept art is just that... art. I will wait for the actual structures before sharpening the pitchforks...

Aside from the DHS photo (which is essentially the same themeing on its gondola station) can you imagine the outrage if these were being built right now? How are these great and acceptable and the gondola stations not?

Edit: I see @flynnibus actually agrees that several of the examples are not acceptable.
I would like to see some previous transportation structures that you do consider well designed. That might help.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Copying and pasting elements without regard to their original context is exactly what is done by malls and hotels. Implying a particular look is all about properly using architectural elements. That proper use creates the illusion that helps keep contemporary fixtures from sticking out as anachronisms.

BrianLo

Just yesterday, Whistler Blackcomb in Canada announced construction of North America's highest-ever capacity gondola for next year. Crazy that the top five gondolas by capacity are now all going to be built in one year.

It's always funny how hobbies bled into one another and intersect. I've been delighted to discover your blog though, even better that I found out about a relevant piece of news for a planned 2019 ski trip from a Disney forum.

Spent the day at Lake Louise, consider me a lift-nerd convert at this rate.

Movielover

To get from DHS to Epcot we have & will continue to WALK. Gondola's nice novelty touch, but concerned with safety issues :cool:

Perfectly fine, just remember while you are walking to watch out for trip hazards, slipping on wet pavement, being hit by a car or bus, being stung by a wasp, getting crushed by a tree, struck by lightning, being stung by a lot of wasps, the apparent packs of wild rabid dogs that are now staying at resorts or being hurt/maimed/killed/offended by the literally countless other harms encountered by simply walking down the street...

Remember, the world is out to kill ya!

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom